Who should I recruit this time?

Options
TobiBlackmore
TobiBlackmore Posts: 52
edited November 2016 in Roster and Level Help
I didn't want to make a third topic so instead I wanted to re-use this one, the new post is further down.

I reached another point at which I got enough HP with a bunch of covers but no clue which is worth it to recruit. As last time, I will add my own impression.

Current roster: https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/TobiBlackmore/

Currently able to recruit:

Mystique (1x purpleflag.png 1x blueflag.png ) Seems to be mostly an AP leech more than anything else.
Spider-Man 3* (1x yellowflag.png ) I heard this one is pretty useless. Just seems like a support-focussed character with a heal, passive protect tile and stun. Maybe gets better when combined with other web users? (which I don't own)
Black Panther (1x yellowflag.png ) I've fought Black Panther before and he was really powerful.
Sam Wilson 3* (1x blueflag.png ) Seemed useful with it's protect tile spam. I don't understand what the falcon does though.
Wolverine X-force (1x greenflag.png ) I heard this one was like, the most useless character other than Bagman? I can kinda see it, but since I'm also getting a black cover for daily reward soon, is it worth it? Then again, I have much better Wolverine characters in the back.

Comments

• madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    From an offensive standpoint, Black Panther is the way to go. I still use him every day for the big enchilada.

The rest definitely have their uses and you will want to eventually roster them for their champion rewards. Getting all your 3*s championed makes for a great foundation for being able to expand your roster. I've given some thoughts on each character below.
    Mystique (1x purpleflag.png 1x blueflag.png ) Seems to be mostly an AP leech more than anything else.
    She can be very powerful when boosted. It can be handy to stun one character with her purple and kill another with her black.
    Spider-Man 3* (1x yellowflag.png ) I heard this one is pretty useless. Just seems like a support-focussed character with a heal, passive protect tile and stun. Maybe gets better when combined with other web users? (which I don't own)
    You are correct that he is pretty much a support character but his stun can be pretty useful.
    Black Panther (1x yellowflag.png ) I've fought Black Panther before and he was really powerful.
    Between his strike tiles and his AOE, he can just wreck someone's day.
    Sam Wilson 3* (1x blueflag.png ) Seemed useful with it's protect tile spam. I don't understand what the falcon does though.
    His protect tile spam is his least useful power. His blue can help remove enemy tiles including countdown tiles. His yellow can really boost up friendly tiles.
    Wolverine X-force (1x greenflag.png ) I heard this one was like, the most useless character other than Bagman? I can kinda see it, but since I'm also getting a black cover for daily reward soon, is it worth it? Then again, I have much better Wolverine characters in the back.
    While not nearly as powerful as he was pre-nerf, he still has his uses. His black is just nasty.
  • TobiBlackmore
    Options
    I actually just got luke cage blackflag.png from a standard token. Does that change the outcome? He seems pretty good too.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I would say though if you know you are getting an X-Force Wolverine black token soon due to rewards, that should be the first one to roster since 4* covers are much more difficult to come by than 3* covers and you will have 2 covers for him. His black power is really good while his green is terrible. Based on rarity and power, I would do X-Force Wolverine as his one black cover will be far better than any one 3* cover. You will come across the other 3* covers again sooner than later.

After X-Force, I would say Cage is the next best followed then by Black Panther.

I hate to point this out to you but that Old Man Logan is probably killing your scaling on nodes for PvE and for matchmaking in PvP....don't open up any more Legendary tokens based on your roster at this point. I recommend that you look into recent articles on this site about scaling and how your roster impacts it.
  • madok
    Options
    He would move up to #2 in the list but BP is still better in my opinion. His DDQ fight is coming up sooner too on the 28th. So I would roster Panther first and try to scrape the HP together to get Cage recruited for his fight on the 1st.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madok wrote:
    He would move up to #2 in the list but BP is still better in my opinion. His DDQ fight is coming up sooner too on the 28th. So I would roster Panther first and try to scrape the HP together to get Cage recruited for his fight on the 1st.

I actually think Cage and Black Panther are very close offensively (using the same colors even) but Cage's red passive far outdoes BP's blue ability, so that is why I think he is the better 3* myself. Offensively they are very different in play style too where BP as a good AOE attack and tile production, whereas a Cage gives you a devastating yellow nuke and a nice black with stun. Each one excels in different situation but the fact that Cage's red is far, far superior to BP's blue give the character an overall edge in my opinion.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Luke Cage is meta-defining in the 3* tier because of his sustainability. I'd go for him. Both he and BP are essentially yellow/black in terms of actives, since BP's blue isn't a real consideration when using him, so they fill the same slot on a team, but Cage will improve your ability to play more than BP will.

Ultimately both are good and worth rostering, but Cage is the higher priority for sure. (You can tell I have regrets in this regard, if you look at my roster. :p)
  • madok
    Options
    If he had a red cover or it was the reward for DDQ, I would have definitely leaned that way. I forgot to check the PVE rewards though. You can get a red if you can hit the progression goals in Heart of Darkness if you do CL 5 or higher.
  • TobiBlackmore
    Options
    Thanks for the replies though thanks to the mixed advice I still don't have a definite answer.

I am doing CL 5 in fact but I'm not sure if I'll hit progression that far.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Out of Cage or Panther, just pick the one you like better. Both are good.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madok wrote:
    If you aren't going to have the HP in time, You can recruit Panther, win another cover from ddq, sell the one you have rostered to put Cage in, then have another 10 days to get HP to reroster Panther.
  • TobiBlackmore
    Options
    Whichever amount I need after the 400 I got now seems like a stretch. HP comes in very slowly and situationally.

Recruiting Panther seems like it would just give me another taco token which will most likely give me an additional 500 iso.

I could try to gather as much HP as I can now, recruit black panther and do the DDQ. If I don't get enough HP I will have to choose whether to ditch BP or Cage. Would that be my best option, meaning I lose my 4* Wolverine as well?
  • TobiBlackmore
    Options
    Update: Currently still holding onto Black Panther I got a second yellow cover from recruiting. I got enough points to obtain the Cage cover from the current PvE event as well. I also was lucky enough to get the Hulkbuster cover, should I make room for that?

I was thinking of ditching Iron Fist.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Update: Currently still holding onto Black Panther I got a second yellow cover from recruiting. I got enough points to obtain the Cage cover from the current PvE event as well. I also was lucky enough to get the Hulkbuster cover, should I make room for that?

I was thinking of ditching Iron Fist.
    Hulkbuster good. Make room for him.
    Ditching Iron Fist BAD! Top threestar in the game. Keep!

*ahem* If you absolutely need to cut someone to make room for Hulkbuster, my pick would be War Machine. I like War Machine a lot, but he's not anywhere near Hulkbuster's Power level. You can do without him for a while. If you keep recruiting new characters you really should consider sinking some Money into the game and invest it all in new roster slots though...
  • TobiBlackmore
    Options
    Yeah it's just that he's my weakest link atm. Maybe Vision or Quake would be a better idea? I really, really like War Machine and would rather get rid of Quake. Right now she's only been useful when powered up in certain events but her attack has currently only allowed me to get rid of a few special tiles.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah it's just that he's my weakest link atm. Maybe Vision or Quake would be a better idea? I really, really like War Machine and would rather get rid of Quake. Right now she's only been useful when powered up in certain events but her attack has currently only allowed me to get rid of a few special tiles.
    Quake has Three solid Powers, but blue is probably the least impressive one at low level. It gets better though. You'll probably want to champ her Before War Machine - here you can see plenty of people love their Quakes. icon_e_smile.gif
    I suppose Vision would work as a sacrifice though. I like him a lot, but his need to tank many colors to be effective is a bit of an achilles heel.
  • TobiBlackmore
    Options
    So I'm in the same pickle as I'm always in with not knowing what to recruit. This time, I feel like I went overboard with recruiting these new, tempting 4* characters that I only got one cover of anyway so I should probably start ditching some.

My roster is in my sig so you can see which 4*s I have right now and which covers. If you don't want to go through a link, I've got: Professor X, Peggy Carter, Quake, Hulkbuster, War Machine, Spider-Woman, X-23 and multiple covers of Devil Dinosaur, Jean Grey and Ant-Man.

My definite keeps would be Jean Grey, Ant-Man, X-23 and War Machine. I've kept Hulkbuster on previous recommendations.

I currently have the following to roster in the place:
    - Scarlet Witch (2x greenflag.png 1x blueflag.png) I personally thought Scarlet Witch was bad until I had her against me. I have 3 covers so far, one more coming in the SHIELD simulator if I do well and I saw that she was gonna be in an upcoming DDQ very soon.
    - Squirrel Girl (1x greenflag.png 1x purpleflag.png) Squirrel Girl is okay, nothing special but seems like she can deal quite some damage.
    - Iron Man Mark 40 (1x yellowflag.png) Seems like a great character aside from all the AP draining, though that explains why he can be so powerful. I've honestly missed out on quite some covers of this one.
    - Mystique (2x blackflag.png) Never been too optimistic about Mystique but she has a nice support move as well as some great damage with Shapeshift + Masterstroke.
    - Spiderman (1x purpleflag.png) Not sure why I even put him up here. It's a nice support character but it's too much of JUST support and I don't have enough Web tile characters to back him up.
    - The Punisher 3* (1x blackflag.png) I like the Punisher but I feel like other characters have more priority.
    - Gamora (1x blackflag.png) I'm not sure what to think of Gamora. Her red power seems weak but then again cheap and her other powers are pretty good but only in the right situation.

So I guess my question is how much I should value a 3* cover over a 4* cover. 4*s are more rare but 3*s mean I am more likely to build up 3* characters. How much should I sacrifice for getting some new recruits? I'm unfortunately 155 HP away from recruiting a new character and for some covers that means I will most likely lose them before I can get enough HP. Sacrificing useless 3* characters could also be an option I suppose? I have been wanting to get rid of Vision. The only reason I keep him is because he's one of my few characters powered up in some events.
  • EleganceFlawed
    EleganceFlawed Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I wouldn't keep someone who you only use in certain events. And honestly, I have a few 3*s that I have sold off repeatedly because I've gotten their covers again so quickly.

I would keep the 4*s over the 3*s even though they have fewer covers. They are harder to replace, most 3*s you will get again.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You want to roster Scarlet Witch and Ironman as soon as possible, they are going to be main stays of your roster for a long time to come - I'm deep into 4* territory and use them both a lot.
    If you don't have the HP for new roster slots, I would consider cutting a couple of 1 cover 4*s for them. Selling a 4* always stings, but a solid base of 3*s will help you get the resources to build up your roster. I sold several 4*s while at your stage, and is was unfortunately necessary.