MMR is broken! Please fix!

Darknes21
Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
How could someone hit me from 225 when I'm at 2300? I can't q people at 1300 from 1000. This is ****!

Darknes21
(Thanks for making me wait 2-3 week for a fix for the Lag!)

Comments

• VA5
    VA5 Posts: 66
    I can not agree more. D3 seems to punish players for building up their rosters. I was at 18xx today and could not que cupcakes where as people could hit me from 5xx.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    Darknes21 wrote:
    How could someone hit me from 225 when I'm at 2300? I can't q people at 1300 from 1000. This is ****!

Darknes21
    (Thanks for making me wait 2-3 week for a fix for the Lag!)

Totally agree. I got hit from someone at 200 when i was over 1000 which i found ridiculous. 2300 is completely insane.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    this is actually a pretty predictable quirk of MMR and its the fundamental basis of why CC baking works.

While I have no inside knowledge of how the MMR algorithm works. Several characteristics are pretty consistent.

Generally speaking.

1. MMR matches your roster/levels with similar rosters/levels and display targets in a similar point range (if none goto 2)
    2. MMR looks at the next highest tier of rosters to find targets in a similar point range (it is unclear if MMR actually differentiates between a 2000 pt difference vs 1000 pt difference, but the main concept is that MMR can and will match you up with someone with a higher score (under the right circumstances))
    3. Once MMR decides no viable targets above current scores, then start looking at rosters with lower scores and a similar roster. and so on and on.

Its the observable fact that MMR tries to match up a low score player with higher scores that allows us to bake CCs. I.e. if the 200pt player can't see higher scores, then 75 pt cc baking will cease to be possible.

The challenge is trying to discern these rules and use them to your advantage. Here it seems clear, that the other player is purposely late climbing to take advantage of the fact that:

1. MMR will generally build him high value matches before low value matches.
    2. player psychology generally indicates that you won't be able to retaliate because you just leave another 75 pt real.

These are not new issues and a lot of the bigger alliances use enforcers to change the dynamics of player psychology.