Are varying level caps a bad thing?

Unknown
edited November 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
The game has been out for around a month or two and as far as I can see, people have "outgrown" 1-star cards already. In order to be currently competitive, you need 2-star or higher cards. Is this a good thing? How long will it take us for 3-star cards to be the minimum? Another 3-4 months? In my opinion, it's not really a sustainable system.

Despite character imbalances, for me, level is still the most important metric in determining who I will fight. I would gladly fight a lvl 50 3-star or 4-star card. I would not fight a lvl 100+ 3-star or 4-star card. I would also gladly fight a lvl 20 3-star over a lvl 40 1-star.

Give 1-star cards the same level cap as everything else and I would definitely start using them. I can't really speak for anyone else, but I am fairly certain that team variety would increase with such a change.

Comments

• I think a meta (user account) experience system would have helped things. The more you play and the more you level up heroes, the user account also accrues experience.

That way you could easily cordon off sections of your userbase from each other based on their levels. Or even do special events for those of a certain experience level.

It would also probably help the matchmaking system to determine who appropriate opponents are.
  • But what will be the differentiating factor between one, two, three and four star covers then?

The whole point of R40 talent/level overhaul was to enable easy comparison between characters.
    With flat level 50 cap it was hard to decide whether lvl 16 **-char is better than lvl 24 *-char or lvl 9 ***-cover
  • Unknown
    edited November 2013
    Shikao wrote:
    But what will be the differentiating factor between one, two, three and four star covers then?

The whole point of R40 talent/level overhaul was to enable easy comparison between characters.
    With flat level 50 cap it was hard to decide whether lvl 16 **-char is better than lvl 24 *-char or lvl 9 ***-cover
    How good their abilities are. Many 1-star cards also have 2 abilities only.

If anything, at least not make it so drastic. 50 -> 85 -> 141 -> 230 is pretty significant.

To me, abilities is what makes this game most interesting. Why should a 4-star be able to wipe out a 1-star just through normal attacks before they even gain enough AP to use an ability? This places emphasis on brute force tactics, rather than smart play of ability usage and team composition.
  • Shikao wrote:

And how will this solve problem you presented? If 2-star abilities will be simply better than 1-star, then people will choose them anyway.
    As long as we have a system that grades covers (stars) people will tend to gravitate towards the highest grade (3/4-stars).
  • Shikao wrote:
    Shikao wrote:

And how will this solve problem you presented? If 2-star abilities will be simply better than 1-star, then people will choose them anyway.
    As long as we have a system that grades covers (stars) people will tend to gravitate towards the highest grade (3/4-stars).
    The point is disparity. One so extreme that it isn't the case that 1-star cards are merely worse, they are just completely unviable. 1-star cards should be at the very least usable. Without them forcing it through guest characters or boosts.
  • I mean yeah, in the long game, you're gonna want to have as high a rarity as possible.

I think 4-star Wolvie kinda sucks tbh but I've only seen level 70 or 80 versions. I will prolly sing a different tune once everyone has him at 230 icon_lol.gif

Right now new players get a very good 1-star team just a couple prologue missions in (Iron Man 35, Modern Black Widow, Modern Storm), and in the later missions, it's possible to pick up 2-start characters including, arguably, two of the best characters in the meta right now (Thor & Classic Storm), and a kind a OK-ish 2-star (Wolvie). Plus some other **** 1-stars and 2-stars (Juggy, Dark Avengers).

At some point maybe we'll see PVE missions that give out 3* covers (probably **** ones like Doom or Loki) to help keep the base of players competitive.
  • There should be a universal level cap for all characters, with increased stat growth to differentiate between rarities.

As it stands, one stars are completely useless. The only time they're useful is for the one-star only tournament, and that's only because you have no choice but to use one stars.