Maintenance

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
It hasn't occured to anyone not to do maintenance in the middle of an event?

Comments

• majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Maybe they plan to do it on Tuesdays like a sane person, but are always behind schedule.
  • jackvett
    jackvett Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    We apologize for the recent downtime and thank you for your patience. To show our appreciation, we would like to offer all players another chance to purchase the popular "starter bundle," and will be extending Garruk's time in the vault another three months. We've heard that a few planeswalkers are overtuned, and will be looking at them in time for Garruk's exit at the end of the year.
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    Personally, I'm cool with that, can't wait for my 250 crystals just on time for Sorin!
  • ridfrenzy
    ridfrenzy Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So I avoided playing on the hour when maintenance was supposed to be at then play a game in between to be greeted by the following message just as I am about to win:

https://i.imgur.com/xgDJaTi.png

Thanks for not being able to stick to the times you set in your maintenance messages, I assume I am going to have to concede this game now?

Thanks for ruining my chance at getting top 5 in my bracket, much appreciated!
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    These guys need to get on AIM, ICQ, KIK, Snapchat, or something already and communicate a plan to each other and stick to it already FFS.

What things COULD be like:
    D3 Staff1 "Hey, we need to do maintenance this week. How about Thursday?"
    D3 Staff2 "Oh, well we're in the middle of an event that we've been running weekly at a specific time for a while now. How about Tuesday?"
    D3 Staff1 "Sure no problem. Should we do it at 10AM UTC or 2PM UTC?"
    D3 Staff2 "Let's do it at 2PM UTC and I'll go post a heads up for the community in an hour or two"
    D3 Staff1 "Great. I'll get the server guys the message. See you at the next meeting!"

What things currently ARE like:
    D3 Staff1 "ATTENTION FORUM GOERS, THERE WILL BE MAINTENANCE. YOU ARE NOT PREPARED"
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Big shout out to the server update team. Started late but finished on time!
  • Rannah
    Options
    Were they giving out mana crystals for this last update? I logged in but didn't get anything. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    majincob wrote:

Did they?

Because most people thought it started at 10am utc and would end at 12. So it didn't even start before it was scheduled to end.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    majincob wrote:

Did they?

Because most people thought it started at 10am utc and would end at 12. So it didn't even start before it was scheduled to end.

That's strange. The downtime was supposed to start at 10:00am EST for me. When I saw that it hadn't started by 10:40am, I figured I'd fire up a game at work. The servers went down around 10:52am EST (I was in the middle of a match), which is about 52 minutes late.

How did the downtime not start before it was supposed to end?
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Steeme wrote:
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    majincob wrote:

Did they?

That's strange. The downtime was supposed to start at 10:00am EST for me. When I saw that it hadn't started by 10:40am, I figured I'd fire up a game at work. The servers went down around 10:52am EST (I was in the middle of a match), which is about 52 minutes late.

How did the downtime not start before it was supposed to end?

It really depends on where you got your info from. If you're like most players who don't come to forums daily, the notice in the game states the maintainance is at 10am utc.

That's I think 5-6am est?
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    It really depends on where you got your info from. If you're like most players who don't come to forums daily, the notice in the game states the maintainance is at 10am utc.
    That's I think 5-6am est?

I gotcha. Yeah, little defects in the notice like that will definitely throw people off when you're dealing with timezones. When I see UTC I still can't picture the difference from EST without going out of my way to do the calculation.

Anyways, as a rule of thumb, you'll be hard pressed to find an IT group that will deploy a new build around 5am.