Drowner of Hope

Options
Chad739
Chad739 Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
This card needs to be revisted. I think it needs to have its token generating abilities nerfed to zero, based on its current mana cost. Thoughts?

Comments

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that everyone who owns a Drowner is going to join this thread soon and tell you how balanced it is.
  • glggwp
    glggwp Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    it is well balanced and i need this card to combine with my spy network
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that everyone who owns a Drowner is going to join this thread soon and tell you how balanced it is.
    icon_lol.gif

Since I do not own it NERF NERF NERFFFFFFFF.

On a serious note I find the card good.
    The thing totally unbalanced is the mana return.
    It is obvious that it was designer pre-scions buff. So it resulted in being too strong after

At the current state you are basically paying 17 mana for a 8/8 and a 4/4 defender and a 1 turn mass disable.
    That in itself would already make it a strong mythic.
    When you factor the mana return from scions, if you subtract fro. The initial cost you have a 5 mana net cost.
    That is the ridiculous part.

Not counting the additional advantage of re-activating the disable(easy to build around it).

In my opinion it should spawn just 1 scion(or 2 MAX).
    This way the net cost would be like 15(or 12) mana for a 8/8 and a 1/1 and mass disable.
    It would still be in the good/great mythics value range.
    It would still annoy like hell.
    It would just not allow it to be chain cast almost for free(because of mana return)if the opponent manages to clear the field.
  • Khebab
    Options
    Screw the tokens...the board lock is the problem. Make it last for only your turn. End of story.
  • alextfish
    Options
    The board lock isn't much of a problem. One turn's grace seems fine for a 17-mana mythic. Using it as an engine is tricky. I've experimented a bit with trying to run it with other colourless creatures or other Scion-makers, but not found anything very good; the best is Scatter to the Winds giving you another mass disable when its 6/6 Island eventually finishes animating, but that's taking up all your creature slots already.

It's absurd when paired with From Beyond, but that's just further evidence of Kiora being busted icon_razz.gif
  • Feagul
    Feagul Posts: 114
    Options
    We've had this discussion before.

TL;DR: It's super oppressive and efficient, and you'll be burned at the stake for suggesting it needs a change.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Feagul wrote:
    We've had this discussion before.

TL;DR: It's super oppressive and efficient, and you'll be burned at the stake for suggesting it needs a change.

It's more than efficient. It's practically free.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,231 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree with what Morphis said--it was created before the scion rebalancing, and that's what put it over the top.

I personally don't have a problem with it; I run a lot of targeted removal in my deck (yes, even in the RC environment). However, it's clearly providing an effect that's far more than the original intent.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    and based on my luck so far, I will probably only get the card after they have nerfed it. icon_e_smile.gif
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it should summon 2 scions instead of 4