Erebos' Titan

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
...kinda sucks now, doesn't it? While it might be true that Prevent Damage was never supposed to prevent Destroy effects, Titan has gone from not being affected by any Destroy effect, to just not being affected by red spells that deal damage (and maybe the occasional rubbish black spell)

I mean, you could say the same thing about UC, and people do, all the time. But Titan has had it even worse.

Comments

• Oaklanbash
    Oaklanbash Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The ONLY use I have for Titan is to discard him while playing Liliana to bring him back to life. I would never pay the full 20 cost otherwise.
  • shteev
    Options
    The only use I ever *used to* have for Titan was to discard him while playing Liliana to bring him back to life. I wouldn't even do that any more.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    The only use I ever *used to* have for Titan was to discard him while playing Liliana to bring him back to life. I wouldn't even do that any more.
    Same here. He used to be a good body to discard and cheat back in. Not anymore.
  • Mangus 73
    Mangus 73 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Not worth the mythic status now.
  • Netatron
    Options
    A lot of black cards could use cost reduction to be playable, but instead they reduced the cost of the one black creature that was already efficient, Priest of the Blood Rite.

In Erebos's case, I'm glad to see my enemy waste their time playing him so that I can discard their whole hand by killing him.

Cards like this and Skaab Goliath and many others show how a lot of these mechanics work awkwardly in a game where reinforcing exists. An example I like is how one unbuffed Undergrowth Champion can deal 10 damage through blocking enemy creatures, but when reinforced once that number goes up to 36. In so many cases like this, what you get out doesn't scale proportionally to what you put in, which can sometimes make drawing duplicate cards especially powerful, usually in the case of creatures, or can cost you the game when you sometimes have to wait 5 turns before getting anything but a buffing spell and a ramping support.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Netatron wrote:
    A lot of black cards could use cost reduction to be playable, but instead they reduced the cost of the one black creature that was already efficient, Priest of the Blood Rite.

In Erebos's case, I'm glad to see my enemy waste their time playing him so that I can discard their whole hand by killing him.

Cards like this and Skaab Goliath and many others show how a lot of these mechanics work awkwardly in a game where reinforcing exists. An example I like is how one unbuffed Undergrowth Champion can deal 10 damage through blocking enemy creatures, but when reinforced once that number goes up to 36. In so many cases like this, what you get out doesn't scale proportionally to what you put in, which can sometimes make drawing duplicate cards especially powerful, usually in the case of creatures, or can cost you the game when you sometimes have to wait 5 turns before getting anything but a buffing spell and a ramping support.

people still play with uc? rc + mantle/censer/G1 is much more effective now, till d3 nerf it in the next big patch. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Netatron
    Options
    blacklotus wrote:
    Netatron wrote:

people still play with uc? rc + mantle/censer/G1 is much more effective now, till d3 nerf it in the next big patch. icon_e_smile.gif

I'm not talking about the metagame, I'm talking about game mechanics and balance.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    blacklotus wrote:
    At least with the last event for me, UC was more useful than RC in helping drag games out long enough to get the secondary objectives completed.
  • Irving
    Options
    Netatron wrote:

Another one is that creatures with static or activated abilities get relatively weaker compared to those with enter-the-battlefield abilities. Drowner of Hope will keep giving me more Scions when I reinforce it (if I had one, alas), but the second Dragonmaster Outcast is all but useless in your hand.

It's also too bad that the three-creature limit makes werewolves so much weaker - even if you have a second copy of a transform card, it could very well be stuck in your hand for a few turns until your werewolf turns back over to where you can reinforce it. I thought there might be a Neglected Heirloom deck out there for a minute, but there really isn't.
  • Netatron
    Options
    Irving wrote:
    Netatron wrote:

Another one is that creatures with static or activated abilities get relatively weaker compared to those with enter-the-battlefield abilities. Drowner of Hope will keep giving me more Scions when I reinforce it (if I had one, alas), but the second Dragonmaster Outcast is all but useless in your hand.

It's also too bad that the three-creature limit makes werewolves so much weaker - even if you have a second copy of a transform card, it could very well be stuck in your hand for a few turns until your werewolf turns back over to where you can reinforce it. I thought there might be a Neglected Heirloom deck out there for a minute, but there really isn't.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    blacklotus wrote:
    At least with the last event for me, UC was more useful than RC in helping drag games out long enough to get the secondary objectives completed.

I see. good pt. I may try it for the next events.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Recorded in the Shadows Over Innistrad Buglist. Please head to that thread to like the original post and make it a Hot Topic. Thankyou.
  • shteev
    Options
    Recorded in the Shadows Over Innistrad Buglist. Please head to that thread to like the original post and make it a Hot Topic. Thankyou.

Will do, but I don't even think the dev team bother to look at the Bugs forum. Its such a long way away.
  • Irving
    Options
    Netatron wrote:
    Irving wrote:
    Netatron wrote:

By the way, did you have a reply here that got eaten? All that shows up for me is the quoting of the discussion thread, nothing new.