Sage of Ancient Lore

Options
jimilinho_
jimilinho_ Posts: 292
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So I'm used to the reward cards generally being pretty poor/average at best (Most of the Oaths, Flameblade Angel, Elusive Tormentor etc..)

But this card actually seems a lot better than I expected. Helps nicely with secondary objectives, draws cards and becomes powerful fast.

Have to say good decision making this a reward.

(Now if you could just fix those bugs...)

Comments

• speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's an amazing card! In my first game it quickly became like a 15/15 and seemed almost ridiculous. It doesn't always work that well, but it is definitely one of the best werewolves. And finally a cheap one!
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, surprisingly good, I think. Probably (?) not OP because, like Ulvenwald Hydra, it's usually quite small for that very first turn it comes into play (altough crucially the Hydra has reach, which means it's easy to kill both with spells and in combat for the short window of time when it's small), but very powerful certainly.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Its fantastic in my Kiora Silverfur Partisan deck with Trail of Evidence.

I just wish I had Neglected Heirloom to go with it.
  • shteev
    Options
    Hmf... is it working properly tho? I had a lockup in may last game in the event....
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,231 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, it locked up a QB for me, not sure what was going on there.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I immediately put him in my Nissa deck while the event was still in. I find him a lot more fun with Kiora though. He definitely synergizes with the last event reward as well.

My current QB Kiora deck for kicks (warning, not optimal):

Creature
    Sage of Ancient Lore (event reward)
    Silverfur Partisan
    Forgotten Creation (last event reward)

Spell
    Haunted Cloak (very cheap buff on Silverfur, mandatory defense against Runaway Carriage and other hexproof, trample to push damage through)
    Stratus Walk (cheap buff for Silverfur, give flight for evasion or for blocking flying creatures, draw card to buff the Sage)
    Turn to Frog (mandatory spot removal for non-hexproof)

Support
    Nissa's Pilgrimage (standard ramp/cascade)
    Fertile Thicket (standard ramp/cascade)
    Fevered Visions (card draw and passive damage on opponent - risky by giving him cards, but more useful for us as it buffs the Sage)
    Prism Array (take advantage of AI's ability to multi-cascade-landfall, massive card draw, disable opponents' first slot)

I get to run 3 creatures which gives me options and increases my chance of drawing one. I typically like bigger creatures with Kiora to use her second ability, but I made an exception this time for the exceptional versatility.

I suppose with all the card draw you could put Sphinx's Tutelage, but I don't like sacrificing my own ramp just to slow the opponent down. I find it slows the game down too much which is less fun for everyone.

The important part of playing this deck is to plan the combo carefully and play multiple cards in a single turn. You don't want to play card for card. I usually throw down a couple supports first, but when it comes to the creatures:

1) Sage of Ancient Lore - you don't want to play this guy without being set up for card draw; it's Ok if you get him out early game, but your best combo is to play him and then the Forgotten Creation immediately after for the bonus +6/+6 buff
    2) Silverfur Partisan - the best way to play this guy is to have 2 or 3 buff spells banked, then lay him down first and immediately buff him a couple times - this is to protect against spells and abilities (and Scab clan berserker) which typically do 6 damage
    3) Prism Array - this guy is your best friend; it serves as protection against the many landfalls that can usually help the AI overrun the board; keep throwing out cards manually to keep some slots open as every card drawn buffs the Sage
  • snow_leopardd
    Options
    Figures, on a weekend I can't play, they have a good reward.
  • shteev
    Options
    The more I play with Sage, the more I think that maybe, just maybe, he might be a little too good...
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    The more I play with Sage, the more I think that maybe, just maybe, he might be a little too good...

He's nowhere near as good as the Hydra. That's how insanely good the hydra is.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Steeme wrote:
    I immediately put him in my Nissa deck while the event was still in. I find him a lot more fun with Kiora though. He definitely synergizes with the last event reward as well.

My current QB Kiora deck for kicks (warning, not optimal):

Creature
    Sage of Ancient Lore (event reward)
    Silverfur Partisan
    Forgotten Creation (last event reward)

Spell
    Haunted Cloak (very cheap buff on Silverfur, mandatory defense against Runaway Carriage and other hexproof, trample to push damage through)
    Stratus Walk (cheap buff for Silverfur, give flight for evasion or for blocking flying creatures, draw card to buff the Sage)
    Turn to Frog (mandatory spot removal for non-hexproof)

Support
    Nissa's Pilgrimage (standard ramp/cascade)
    Fertile Thicket (standard ramp/cascade)
    Fevered Visions (card draw and passive damage on opponent - risky by giving him cards, but more useful for us as it buffs the Sage)
    Prism Array (take advantage of AI's ability to multi-cascade-landfall, massive card draw, disable opponents' first slot)

I get to run 3 creatures which gives me options and increases my chance of drawing one. I typically like bigger creatures with Kiora to use her second ability, but I made an exception this time for the exceptional versatility.

I suppose with all the card draw you could put Sphinx's Tutelage, but I don't like sacrificing my own ramp just to slow the opponent down. I find it slows the game down too much which is less fun for everyone.

The important part of playing this deck is to plan the combo carefully and play multiple cards in a single turn. You don't want to play card for card. I usually throw down a couple supports first, but when it comes to the creatures:

1) Sage of Ancient Lore - you don't want to play this guy without being set up for card draw; it's Ok if you get him out early game, but your best combo is to play him and then the Forgotten Creation immediately after for the bonus +6/+6 buff
    2) Silverfur Partisan - the best way to play this guy is to have 2 or 3 buff spells banked, then lay him down first and immediately buff him a couple times - this is to protect against spells and abilities (and Scab clan berserker) which typically do 6 damage
    3) Prism Array - this guy is your best friend; it serves as protection against the many landfalls that can usually help the AI overrun the board; keep throwing out cards manually to keep some slots open as every card drawn buffs the Sage

It would be better if you add Trail of Evidence and ditch Prism Array, because Trail is just that good. Trail will draw you more cards than Prism, it is cheap and seriously underrated. Make that kiora a bit spell heavy and enjoy
    Having both trail and Prism will bottleneck your deck
  • Avacyn
    Avacyn Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm very please with this card. I was sorta surprised that they would give away such a decent card by completing the event. compare to previous reward, this card is amazing! and have become one of my favs. just slap a hunted cloak and u got yourself a monster blocker that tramples.

The last event card was decent too. Though not a big hitter, the zombie can bump the Sage or Geralf's masterpiece. earning a spot in my deck when I play with either sage or masterpiece. and a good trigger for tutelage.

Side note: the sage is a she.
    Art by Slawomir Maniak
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes, the sage is a she, a foul old crone that turns into a hairy old crone icon_e_wink.gif
  • shteev
    Options
    My Sage is flipping inconsistently, btw... she cares not whether I or my opponent casts 0, 1, or 2 spells in a turn. At least I think its' inconsistent, had anyone managed to figure out when she flips?
  • Upstartes
    Options
    My Sage has been flipping as I would expect from the wording. She appears to heal damage when she flips too - is this normal?

I've built a 1-creature Kiora Sage of Ancient Lore / Day's Undoing deck:

Sage of Ancient Lore

Fertile Thicket

Day's Undoing
    Pore over the Pages
    Animist's Awakening
    Natural Connection
    Seek the Wilds
    Stratus Walk
    Haunted Cloak
    Exert Influence

It's not uncommon for me to end a game with a 50/50 or stronger Werewolf of Ancient Hunger. It has its weaknesses, but it has been surprisingly consistent. And dang, is it fun.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Quick note that Sage loses the Toughness buff from Aim High when it Transforms back to Sage from Werewolf on the Opponent's turn. I've flagged it in the bugs forum.

Thought it was weird when Sage had a lower toughness thsn power when she hadn't taken any damage and should have been the same P/T. Finally worked out which spell it was. No surprise that its from SOI.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sage is really great. It may need to have its cost increased a bit, maybe to 12.