Screwed over by a crash

Options
So, you're all probably familiar enough with all the ways this game likes to screw over a player. Lucky cascades that batter a player's team until they're dead, constant replenishment and use of enemy powers, etc. That pretty much screwed me over during round one of the Juggernaut tournament and prevented me from getting the red Thor cover. I can accept that, lucky cascades are what help me win and if it helps the enemy this time, well, bad timing.

This time, I got plagued by the exact same things when I was again trying to break into the top ten. So I use my last Health Pack on Thor and bring in a couple fresh heroes and things are going well... then the game crashes when I try to take advantage of one of my party's powers. I'm using the Steam version and it turns out that when the game crashes, the game or the server or whatever decides that I chose to retreat and murders my characters. (Or rather, lowers their HP substantially.) So when I boot the game up and try again, it doesn't take much to down my entire team. Again. And now I'm out of Health Packs and I barely have enough time for them to regenerate before the tournament's over. I've been trying very hard to save up Hero Points and I'm loathe to spend them right now especially since it wasn't even my fault this time that I died.

If it was a case of, the enemy bested me again, I wouldn't feel so bad. But it was the game client itself that screwed me over and I don't feel that's fair.

Incidentally, I tried to search for other threads that talked about the Steam client crashing, and the forum won't let me include the term "crash" in my search. So if this topic has been covered before, maybe the search function needs improving, too.

Comments

• Please refrain from using the word "crash" in here. Before you know it, it shall be replaced with "over-inflated oompa loompas"
  • CWTyger wrote:
    So, you're all probably familiar enough with all the ways this game likes to screw over a player. Lucky cascades that batter a player's team until they're dead, constant replenishment and use of enemy powers, etc. That pretty much screwed me over during round one of the Juggernaut tournament and prevented me from getting the red Thor cover. I can accept that, lucky cascades are what help me win and if it helps the enemy this time, well, bad timing.

This time, I got plagued by the exact same things when I was again trying to break into the top ten. So I use my last Health Pack on Thor and bring in a couple fresh heroes and things are going well... then the game crashes when I try to take advantage of one of my party's powers. I'm using the Steam version and it turns out that when the game crashes, the game or the server or whatever decides that I chose to retreat and murders my characters. (Or rather, lowers their HP substantially.) So when I boot the game up and try again, it doesn't take much to down my entire team. Again. And now I'm out of Health Packs and I barely have enough time for them to regenerate before the tournament's over. I've been trying very hard to save up Hero Points and I'm loathe to spend them right now especially since it wasn't even my fault this time that I died.

If it was a case of, the enemy bested me again, I wouldn't feel so bad. But it was the game client itself that screwed me over and I don't feel that's fair.

Incidentally, I tried to search for other threads that talked about the Steam client crashing, and the forum won't let me include the term "crash" in my search. So if this topic has been covered before, maybe the search function needs improving, too.

Sometimes clients crash, sometimes your internet connection gets interrupted, sometimes you accidentally close the program. **** happens man.
  • bonerang wrote:
    Sometimes clients crash, sometimes your internet connection gets interrupted, sometimes you accidentally close the program. tinykitty happens man.

That's the thing. Sometimes clients do crash. I don't feel it right or fair that I and my heroes get punished for it.
  • The only comfort I can give you is that if it is a serverside problem you can only hope all your competition is also kicked from their games in progress.

If it was just your client hiccuping then, sorry about that better luck next time. The game doesn't save matches in progress, just wins, points, health, etc.
    The infrequent disconnect retreat is preferable to people figuring out there is no downside to disconnecting and turning off their connection manually if a game is not going the way they want.

I feel ya on the frustration and advise opening a beer, but don't see a way to fix this one
  • CWTyger wrote:
    bonerang wrote:
    Sometimes clients crash, sometimes your internet connection gets interrupted, sometimes you accidentally close the program. tinykitty happens man.

That's the thing. Sometimes clients do crash. I don't feel it right or fair that I and my heroes get punished for it.

Unfortunately, there really is no way for a game with an online component to know whether the app crashed or you closed it/"forced" a crash, so in any game where losing a match has a penalty you have to put up with getting screwed by a crash
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not even just closing the program. IIRC, if it gets released from the RAM because you opened too many other apps on your phone so it has to reload, it counts it as a retreat
  • Well, in about three minutes I'll have regenerated enough health packs to bring back Thor and Cap. I'll just need to guard Storm with my life. Hopefully I at least can keep myself from falling out of the top twenty. Wish me luck. (Unless I'm in your bracket, in which case, wish me ill. icon_e_biggrin.gif )
  • Good luck!
  • Good luck!

Thank you. I managed to crawl back up and into ninth place. That... almost went suspiciously well, actually. So many lucky cascades for me. Did the game client feel bad for me or something?

Actually, I'd better not say anything. Might jinx me again. icon_e_wink.gif