Defensive Grief Decks

Options
Steeme
Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hey guys, I'm wondering how the AI chooses which deck you're up against when you're matched with an opponent. I'm noticing a lot of decks now (Gold tier) that have absolutely no intent of fulfilling any objectives, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they modify their decks after exhausting their matches.

Example:
Objectives are Spirits/Horrors and Delirium.
Player crafts deck with various cards to fulfill the objectives. This is the intent of the event.
Player exhausts all matches and goes on timer.
Player decides to be conniving and re-works deck with no objectives in mind but purely optimized as a defensive grief deck.
When player is ready to go on the offensive again, switches deck back to meet objectives.

Is the above possible? Does the AI just select whatever your current deck configuration is?

I was on a perfect run (with some missed objectives due to zerging), then later on I just kept running into grief decks that didn't have a single card that would meet any objective. I'm used to a few losses scattered about but it was a discernible pattern this time which I noticed. At this point I'm thinking of just fulfilling the progression rewards as I can't compete with these grief decks. I have more important things to do with my time.

One deck was filled with hexproof and evolutionary leap (sphinx of the final word + Gaea's revenge) of which I have no answer to given the limited card pool (using Kiora with Zombie and Delirium objectives). I mean, I could eventually find an answer, but not during an enraged event. It was clear that the deck was designed to counter anyone using a **** deck for the tournament objectives, without a single card to fulfill any of their own objectives.

I suppose some will say that it's a perfectly legit strategy. However I don't think players should be able to modify their decks like that to stonewall others players. On the other hand, players need to rework their decks in case they need to alter their strategy (ie. if their first deck design needs tuning).

Thoughts?

Comments

• majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's been found that you can play Planeswalkers that aren't assigned to nodes as long as they match at least one color with the event. For example I am not running my Nissa in this weekend's event, but someone may be paired against her.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Personally I wasn't going competitive this event, so none of my decks have been tweaked for objectives.

I imagine I'm not alone in that.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mouser wrote:
    Personally I wasn't going competitive this event, so none of my decks have been tweaked for objectives.

I imagine I'm not alone in that.

Yep. I don't really care for fulfilling the Terror secondary and tertiary objectives either.
  • Steeme
    Options
    Alright fair enough. I thought the planeswalker selection bug was fixed since I wasn't matched against any low-level planeswalkers this time, as opposed to playing against level 1 walkers last time.

I wasn't going competitive either, just playing to have fun. However, the fun quickly becomes not-so-fun when you run into a brick wall repeatedly against decks that clearly don't belong in an SOI event. It's really immersion breaking.
  • tigertom
    Options
    I have not configured my decks to meet any of the secondary SOI winning bonuses. I figure it is more important to win the match first and get the 5 point award than to reconfigure a decent deck with cards that do not fit and probably lose the match just for the chance at getting 2 reward points.
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have only been in 'terrors' twice. This time I crafted decks specifically to ensure I met the secondary objectives. Luckily I play tested them in QB first. They totally got blown away, like only a 70% win rate.

I know the event matching is tougher, so I went back to my over powered builds and swapped a single card or two to give me a shot at the secondaries but no guarantee. That worked well, winning percentage closer to 100 but only hit the secondaries about 4 matches in five.

Lots of fun though.

I wouldn't craft a grief deck though. I figure my decks give people enough trouble as it is. Griefing just seems petty.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    14333684_10208765614410699_1353475149928852527_n.jpg?oh=a7e93b74d67023385e4fc1694ce706b7&oe=588588C6

And what if I *don't* play a spell, Sarkhan? What are you going to do then?
  • Steeme
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    And what if I *don't* play a spell, Sarkhan? What are you going to do then?

That's a great example. It's for this reason alone that I always pack Transgress the Mind whenever I can. Obviously you're running Ajani so you don't have that option.

I don't like some of the AI quirks. I notice that sometimes, instead of trying to win the game, it just prioritizes griefing your game. I think the AI needs some adjustment in order to prioritize winning first and only using removal when it thinks it is behind. Sort of like what a real player would do. Otherwise you get these boring stalemates.

It would be interesting if there was some sort of reward for a successful defense. When a player attacks you, and the AI wins, you get some benefit (perhaps a number of runes as a reward). That way, players will try to build decks that will win both on offense and defense. Include in some matchmaking rule that only one player can attack you at the same time. Then there would be an incentive to build a deck that wins quickly, rather than bore the opposing player to death until he swipes the application off the screen.

Anyways, I modified my decks for this tournament back to normal and can win consistently again. Got my progression reward and picked up the free card. I have learned my lesson.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,231 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As long as it keeps pulling planeswalkers that people aren't using in the event, this will happen. It's unfortunate, but it does mean more of a challenge.