Cover Trade-In System

bpcontra
bpcontra Posts: 176
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
To start, this is NOT a post about trading covers with alliance members. I personally think that is a bad idea.

I believe that we should have the ability to trade in covers we dont want for the possibility of getting a new, potentially useful cover.

I think the price should be fair, but definitely impactful. You have 3 options:

1) Trade in for a random different color of the same character and same tier,
2) Trade in for a random different character of the same tier
3) Trade in for 2 covers of a lower tier.

Pricing would be as follows:

1) Trade in the cover plus half the amount of command points required to purchase a cover or hero points equal to the amount of purchasing a new roster slot

2) Trade in the cover plus the full amount of command points required to purchase a cover or hero points equal to 1.5x amount of purchasing a new roster slot.

3) Trade in the cover plus half the amount of hero points required to purchase a roster slot.

It should be expensive since it shouldnt be something you need to do constantly.

Thoughts?

Comments

• IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Instead of cp, I think it would be better if costed hp.

Or, instead of an extra cost, maybe a reduction in levels. Like a 2* is traded for a 1* and a 5* is traded for 4* cover. But then have the 5* plus cp/hp/iso traded in for a 5*.

Or maybe a 2 for 1 kind of deal. Like any two 5* covers can be traded in for a 5* of your choice. Any two 4* covers traded for the 4* of your choice. etc..etc..
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    If we can just give an idea to help, a good system would be; when we get a 6th cover in the same color we can't use then we should be able to apply it on one of the other colors. That way a 6th cover would never be useless.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Trade 5* cover in for LT (guaranteed 4*, possible 5*.)
    Trade 4* cover in for -NEW TOKEN- (guaranteed 3*, possible 4* [low chance of 5*?])
    Trade 3* cover in for Heroic Token (guaranteed 2*, possible 3*, low chance of 4*)
    Trade 2* cover in for Standard Token.
  • kobu
    kobu Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Trade 5* cover in for LT (guaranteed 4*, possible 5*.)
    Trade 4* cover in for -NEW TOKEN- (guaranteed 3*, possible 4* [low chance of 5*?])
    Trade 3* cover in for Heroic Token (guaranteed 2*, possible 3*, low chance of 4*)
    Trade 2* cover in for Standard Token.

I like it. I'm also hoping that's what the new token is. I guess others have found it strange that it's easier to collect 4* and 5* covers than 3* as a new player.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I'd be all for this, and all for it costing HP. HP could use a new reason to exist beyond roster slots and shields.....
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Had another thought. And I'm sure others have had this exact same idea before, but here goes.

What if, since there are soooo many characters, and the token pools are soooo diluted, then what if covers didn't have colors at all? What if I pulled a Nick Fury cover, but could apply it to any of his abilities? So if my Fury was 5/5/2 then the next cover I got would finish him.

So many of us have characters at sub optimum builds because we build them how the covers fall. Like 4thor. Her best build, imo, is 5/3/5. But when I got her covers, she was 4/5/4 because that's the order I received them. If covers were colorless, I could have all my characters the way I want them. Of course, I'd still need to champ them if I wanted to respec, but this would really help a lot of players with a lot of their character builds.
  • Dudemon
    Dudemon Posts: 57 Match Maker
    I have a great idea.

Just make this feature available to STEAM players. That would offset the unfair Facebook gifts that mobile players get.

If they would just let you sell covers on the Steam market, that would be fair. And the game company would make more money.

Sadly, they have determined this is "too much work".

I think they would increase their cash flow, but I doubt they will ever try this. :<

Dudemon
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just pulled my 8th Professor X purpleflag.png , and when Scarlet Witch hits 183, I'm going to have a 9th.

Meanwhile, he's got 3 blue and 0 yellow.

Meanwhile, this is the second time in the last month that's happened.

Meanwhile, of the characters I have on my roster, there are 100 other covers I could have pulled that would represent forward progress.

When this happens, no progress feels like negative progress. Yeah, we need some kind of a cover trade-in system, and we need it yesterday.
  • auralgami
    auralgami Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    DFiPL wrote:
    Just pulled my 8th Professor X purpleflag.png , and when Scarlet Witch hits 183, I'm going to have a 9th.

Meanwhile, of the characters I have on my roster, there are 100 other covers I could have pulled that would represent forward progress.

When this happens, no progress feels like negative progress. Yeah, we need some kind of a cover trade-in system, and we need it yesterday.

Happened to me twice recently, once with Elektra and then again with teen Jean. The Jean one really hurt.

I wanted to quote this post just to express how demoralizing it is. We've done the work, we earned the reward, and we get something that not only doesn't get us any closer, but reminds us how far we are from what we need.

It sucks. Big time.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    auralgami wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:

Happened to me twice recently, once with Elektra and then again with teen Jean. The Jean one really hurt.

I wanted to quote this post just to express how demoralizing it is. We've done the work, we earned the reward, and we get something that not only doesn't get us any closer, but reminds us how far we are from what we need.

It sucks. Big time.

happened to me with jean as well. need 2 more covers to get to 13. pulled greens # 6 & 7 in the span of 2 days. Just pulled green red hulk #7 today. need 3 covers to finish him.

as much as they still need to fix in this game, this would be the one thing that would make the most positive difference.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:

I've sold 16 Purple covers for JG, who's still at 5/1/3.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:

I've sold 16 Purple covers for JG, who's still at 5/1/3.

Not trying to hold myself out as the example of Supreme Suffering here.

Just sayin', y'know, it's time for a change. This is absurd.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Players who would need something like this have already suffered at the hands of RNG, so penalising them a second time seems overly harsh to me, if a player has a maxed colour on a non-maxed character they should simply be allowed to reroll that cover for a nominal cost in cp or hp.

There will soon be 40 4* characters, even if you could manage to average a cover per day it would still take almost 18 months just to get those ones, even if you ignore the other 4000 you would then need to fully champion those characters, excessively hampering progress with the way dupes are mishandled is going to increasingly hurt this game in the long run.
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    My idea to solve this problem was (and still is) that they should simply allow us to deconstruct duplicate characters.

I think it's the best compromise (because it generates revenues - the hp cost for an additional slot - and it still "penalizes" the player, forcing him to delay his progression, while not being totally unfair to him).

Once you've fully covered your main character, you can decide to deconstruct the duplicate one.

You will get only up to 13 covers (so that the system will not be exploitable; if you decide to deconstruct your main character you don't get the "extra" covers invested as champ levels), and none of the iso invested into the character (if any).

Of course the easiest solution would be to remove the expiration date, at least for 5* covers, but I can see why they may (still) dislike this option.

The "reroll" option... I don't like it, personally. If you've pulled a 5* cover you should be entitled to use - sooner or later - that cover (or a cover for that tier).

Let us keep the cover in our reward queue (=no expiration date), or give us the "deconstruct" option (under the conditions described above; i.e. the cover may turn out to be usable in the future, but won't be immediately as it would happen with the color swap option).
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Had another thought. And I'm sure others have had this exact same idea before, but here goes.

(snip)

Again, I agree totally. The real fix for this issue is having a single "wildcard" cover that the player can use to upgrade skills as desired. The current mechanic is a throwback to ye way olden days when each skill had its own unique cover. That system was ditched from a visual standpoint, but not from a mechanical standpoint. It's time to ditch it entirely, as the RNG on getting the character's cover at all is annoying enough.