Part the Waterveil

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Part the waterveil is a funny card, isn't it. It's too bad to run in most decks, but those that can run it can probably win the game with it and it alone.

What's your opinion of it? Do the token animations need speeding up? Slowing down? Does the card need to be redesigned completely?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The token animations need to be slowed down for everyone except me. Surely nobody else is in a big hurry to win these days. I just have a tendency to fall asleep during matches and the token spawns are hypnotizing me into slumber.
  • SoberReality
    SoberReality Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yes I agree with slowing down the speed of token animations. I mean seriously, the current animation is just waayyy too fast for my eyes to follow and surely tapping your screen fast enough for the tokens to come into play faster is a game in of itself. We also need to slow down individually giving each creature P/T.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Doesn't need a redesign imho but the animation for token spawning could be looked at. Either speed it up or.... have them tap dance in to keep me amused
  • knthrak
    Options
    Part the Waterveil is the kind of card that should always be bad. If it's good, then it means the game is probably broken.

My preference is for the card to not even exist.

Note that I do have one, and I even used it a bit before Animist's Awakening was nerfed.
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    I like it icon_e_smile.gif
  • Netatron
    Options
    knthrak wrote:
    Part the Waterveil is the kind of card that should always be bad. If it's good, then it means the game is probably broken.

My preference is for the card to not even exist.

Note that I do have one, and I even used it a bit before Animist's Awakening was nerfed.

It is good because the game is broken. Nissa's Renewal along with other mythics and any card drawing card in your deck will easily let you get several match 5's in one turn, along with like 100 mana of cards played. In my opinion green ramping cards are the only thing that make Kiora overpowered. There's not much counterplay to someone who can bring out like 50 damage worth of hasted creatures per turn while also fully healing themselves. Part the Waterveil is one of the least problematic cards that Kiora decks like that might use though.
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    Those kiora decks are particularly vulnerable to support removal and discard, and take things to setup. It's easy to lock them down. Anticipation is the answer
  • Netatron
    Options
    Those kiora decks are particularly vulnerable to support removal and discard, and take things to setup. It's easy to lock them down. Anticipation is the answer

Only black has good options for making the opponent discard. Running Demolish won't be enough to stop a deck that's playing 7 cards a turn. And heavy discard can have a tough time against Prism Array which they can play easily the turn they draw it.
  • Talain1
    Options
    Netatron wrote:

Only black has good options for making the opponent discard. Running Demolish won't be enough to stop a deck that's playing 7 cards a turn. And heavy discard can have a tough time against Prism Array which they can play easily the turn they draw it.

Among the cards I've had success with against that sort of deck are The Great Aurora and Day's Undoing. The former to clear the board of all their supports and whatever tokens they've managed to summon (and also oversized Hydras); the latter to knock stuff like Seasons Past out of their hand before they can cast it (and give you a nice jump on casting whatever is in your hand after it resolves, which is hopefully another Day's Undoing).

Problem is, both are mythics so getting them might be tough.
  • Netatron
    Options
    Talain1 wrote:
    Netatron wrote:

Among the cards I've had success with against that sort of deck are The Great Aurora and Day's Undoing. The former to clear the board of all their supports and whatever tokens they've managed to summon (and also oversized Hydras); the latter to knock stuff like Seasons Past out of their hand before they can cast it (and give you a nice jump on casting whatever is in your hand after it resolves, which is hopefully another Day's Undoing).

Problem is, both are mythics so getting them might be tough.

I've played Great Aurora against one of these decks, it just set right back up even harder afterwards. It's particularly difficult in enraged matches.
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    That 4/4 that removes a support hurts a kiora deck hard
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    coming from a constant scatter with the wind card player, I say the animation isn't a problem, if I only have the green cards to trigger the effects regularly.

prays to RNGesus for the required green mythics in my next bb.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That 4/4 that removes a support hurts a kiora deck hard

1 Support? No it doesn't.