Where I Find Joy in MPQ

ZeroKarma
ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I wanted to take a moment to post, because I think it's important for one of those state of the game discussions from a Forumite perspective.

Yesterday, a LOT of us got carried away. That includes me, and I kinda apologize, but I think anything I posted was fairly justified. But, I hope that the devs took note. There was a red post that implied a change to cupcakes, an incident occurred that was not a direct action but shut it down, and there was a severe meltdown. Like Vesuvius level with people leaving buy clubs, others threatening to quit, and sending two sides of a discussion at each other’s throats.

But this post is not to elicit complaints. It's the opposite. What I love about this game, and why I have dumped enough money into it for it to be legitimately called an addiction. Where do I find joy in the game?

My old alliance slowly fell apart many seasons ago. We went from a guaranteed top 100 to being tooth and nail. It was time for us all to move on, and several of us joined the BattleCats.

By downloading LINE I found a whole world behind the scenes, something much more than the game that Demiurge had developed. What I had thought was a fairly simplistic match 3 game had spawned an entire online culture of pretty varied personalities from around the world that were talking about it, complaining about it, and strategizing outside of it.

It is my firm opinion this game would be nearly dead without the evolution of this culture. And with it, of course, came coordinated ways to “beat” the game. There is enough brain power to do so, and it has worked. There are many stories how it happened, but cupcakes were born.

So, to the main point of this post. My favorite thing to do in this game is to chat with friends outside of this game while playing this game. I have built some real friendships that will last after this game falls off the App Store, and that is way more valuable than my champed OML or Surfer.

My second favorite thing to do is to bake. I like the rush that I get from leaving out that weak team and trying to get back under shield as fast as possible. And despite the fact that I will argue with what we will call “cake snipers”, I appreciate their point of view and I am happy to have them around! If no one tried to snipe the cake, where would the rush come from? I also like to use what I will moving forward call a mechanic rather than an exploit, because I can directly help the placement of my alliance mates with lower roster levels for greater team success. It wasn't intended, but....it makes the game fun. More fun that it would be without it.

Let’s keep yesterday in mind and in perspective as this game evolves and as people argue for changes that affect a good portion of the population (and a lot of high rollers as well), and think about how you can maximize your enjoyment while keeping the game fun for others.

Comments

• ZeroKarma
    Neat little point that I'd like to make. I've actually met some alliance mates in real life on two continents. Played PVE with one at dinner and PVP with the other at breakfast, which is both funny and sad at the same time.

Will add to that number the next time I pass through Chicago. I promise Cleo!
  • Thom Merrilin
    Thom Merrilin Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Amen to that bro!
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly the game gets really boring at times. I really wish there was sandbox mode where you could experiment with teams and opponents.

I've already locked out my prologue.
    I play pve semi competitively so I'lm pretty much obligated to a schedule.
    PvP play is pretty regimented in the sense I have to play a certain way/style or risk all progress made in the event.

Its often been noted that high level rosters unfairly beatup on low tier rosters. Those events are true, but it isn't because anyone has any malicious intent. Alot of times, its the only relaxed casual way to play your roster. Specifically, farming leveling 200 characters for 7pts and 70 iso got old after you maxed a 4*. But its a super fun 3 min diversion on a bus or waiting in line.

I'd love to see an unlocked DDQ that could be played throughout the day. Honestly, it wouldn't bother me if replays had no rewards.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Phumade wrote:
    Honestly the game gets really boring at times. I really wish there was sandbox mode where you could experiment with teams and opponents.

I've already locked out my prologue.
    I play pve semi competitively so I'lm pretty much obligated to a schedule.
    PvP play is pretty regimented in the sense I have to play a certain way/style or risk all progress made in the event.

I've started using the Simulator for this. My goal is to get the 2000 progression reward pretty early, maybe 8-10 days into the season, and then I just try stuff in there. It's a little limiting because my MMR is matching me against 4*s and 5*s and I want to try these under-leveled 4*s and my under-covered 5*s, but it's definitely better than nothing. I can always spend the last day or two of the season getting my Sim score back up near 2000 if I have to.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Spot on post Zero.

The Rockett
    BattleCatALPHA
    BattleCatPRIDE
    BattleCatOPS
    BattleCatPROWL
    BattleCatsRAWR
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    xidragonxi wrote:
    I've started using the Simulator for this. My goal is to get the 2000 progression reward pretty early, maybe 8-10 days into the season, and then I just try stuff in there. It's a little limiting because my MMR is matching me against 4*s and 5*s and I want to try these under-leveled 4*s and my under-covered 5*s, but it's definitely better than nothing. I can always spend the last day or two of the season getting my Sim score back up near 2000 if I have to.

Txs for reminding me. Already got my 2k wasp and floating at 1900. But I take your gist. the problem with sim is that its really hard to manipulate the MMR into giving you 2*, 3* matches for more than a few matches at a time and it takes alot of opponent caching to make that happen.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also got bored with the game, found Line, had lots more fun!
    Lost Line and had fun with other games in the time I saved, re-gained Line and have fun outside of game again!

My "Joy in MPQ" is less time played in the game for low rewards - making events (be it DDQ or PVP) take more time sucks that joy back away. Perhaps higher rewards for more time played would be fine, and hopefully clearance does that.
  • ZeroKarma
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Also got bored with the game, found Line, had lots more fun!
    Lost Line and had fun with other games in the time I saved, re-gained Line and have fun outside of game again!

My "Joy in MPQ" is less time played in the game for low rewards - making events (be it DDQ or PVP) take more time sucks that joy back away. Perhaps higher rewards for more time played would be fine, and hopefully clearance does that.

SnowCatt, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. But I worry that this will lead to smaller pools in each slice and segment with fewer options for hitting. But I have an open mind and would like to see it at work.

I also want to see a better path to 5* that is not tied directly to money spent. 4's were rare but you could eventually get them as rewards. I enjoy the collecting! But I feel like I'm locked out of a tier....and I have spent quite a bit of money on the game. Don't want to say how much, but I don't think I am willing to spend MORE just to get usable 5* past Phoenix.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Phumade wrote:
    xidragonxi wrote:

Txs for reminding me. Already got my 2k wasp and floating at 1900. But I take your gist. the problem with sim is that its really hard to manipulate the MMR into giving you 2*, 3* matches for more than a few matches at a time and it takes alot of opponent caching to make that happen.

Step 1, get to around 2k

Step 2, beat up 5* team with winfinite

Step 3, beat up 3* retal nodes with stormneto/sw or other reasonably strong 2* combination

Step 4, have fun in sim against reasonably was retals
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    It's heartmelting to read that there is this great, friendly community of players that abuse game mechanics for their own gain.
  • mikepro
    mikepro Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Couldn't agree more with the op here. I haven't met anyone in person but I plan on it some time soon. Yes looking at you op.

There's a point when the game gets boring and when you add line app into the mix it's great. You set up a team room for your alliance and you not limited to the chat in game. It's brought on a whole new reason to continue to play the game.

Now only if the devs will fix the fb gift issue and be a bit more lenient towards issues like crashes and other thing. And improve draw rates a bit then it would be fun again and not stuck in 3*-4* transition for almost a year now
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alsmir wrote:
    It's heartmelting to read that there is this great, friendly community of players that abuse game mechanics for their own gain.
    Don't worry, clearance levels will let you compete against your peers.

Of course your score will top out at 300 without those high point targets but hey, it'll be fair!
  • ZeroKarma
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Alsmir wrote:
    Don't worry, clearance levels will let you compete against your peers.

Of course your score will top out at 300 without those high point targets but hey, it'll be fair!

Not necessarily the right place to ask, but will everyone in the alliance need to join the same clearance level? How will seasons work? Crazy stuff to come.

To the poster a couple of spots above, baking is a viable part of the PVP system and uses only mechanics available within the system. There are no exploits at all, and it is one of the few ways other than spending money that a top player can help others in his/her alliance. I seriously enjoy it, and losing it will diminish my willingness to play and/or spend money. That's how I view it, and if you disagree then you are welcome to that opinion. Are you willing to play and spend more if cupcakes are removed from the system?

Let me ask, can you follow the original theme here? What do you enjoy about this game, that keeps you playing. Or maybe more to the point for the devs, what could be expanded on (not removed) that would bring you to support the game more? Personally, MORE ways for alliances to work together would be great for me.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    If it wasn't for line and the community my alliance group has built up I would of quit playing so long ago.

Frankly in game chat is not really up to much. Maybe if it was better the line detractors could experience a better sense of community in the game also and would not be so hostile to line.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm definitely with ZK on this one. I've made friends with a lot of different people and that's a big motivator.

I also decided to dial back my play a lot and that has actually increased my enjoyment a lot. It does bear mentioning that I've managed to champion both Logan and Phoenix, so I have the luxury of being able to pretty much hit max progression in both game types at will. It's awful that so many people who have played the same as me have fallen prey to the ugly rewards scheme at the 5* level and can't enjoy the same kind of experience.