Progression=regression

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Ever since i used my iso influx from the shield level introduction to level up some 4* characters my pvp matchmaking has taken a turn for the worse.

Where as i used to be able to get to 800-950 before i saw strictly 4* teams, i now get them straight off the start of an event.

I used to be able to climb to 800-950, shield and then jump to 1000, now getting to 650-750 is a struggle then i have to shield to jump to 800, then i'm pretty much done. (the strange thing is, even with my lower scores i'm getting better placement)

In the simulator, i used to find 3* teams right up to 2000, now it's strictly 4/5* teams across the board.

why bother improving your roster if it causes further progression to stagnate?

Comments

• killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd wrote:
    Ever since i used my iso influx from the shield level introduction to level up some 4* characters my pvp matchmaking has taken a turn for the worse.

Where as i used to be able to get to 800-950 before i saw strictly 4* teams, i now get them straight off the start of an event.

I used to be able to climb to 800-950, shield and then jump to 1000, now getting to 650-750 is a struggle then i have to shield to jump to 800, then i'm pretty much done. (the strange thing is, even with my lower scores i'm getting better placement)

In the simulator, i used to find 3* teams right up to 2000, now it's strictly 4/5* teams across the board.

ur MMR is based on ur roster and how well u do in pvp. or that is what they tell us. they never divulged the formula.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    well, i musta been doing pretty well, cause i got bumped up a notch and kicked in the balls...
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Or everyone got a bunch of iso and you're seeing the same group of people who were able to level some 4* with the bounty.

In a competitive game, difficulty changes come from relative changes...
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    jredd wrote:

I mean technically nothing changed. Anyone at your level is still at your level, it's just a matter of investment.
    Eventually it'll balance itself out, a bit of the ol' invisible hand.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe PVP should be renamed " Broken PVP"
    Similar to Broken Matt Hardy.
    If you can't beat them join them.
    #deleteordecay
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd wrote:

So essentially what you were expecting was to get a better roster yet still compete against those with worse rosters?

As for your mmr I dunno what's happened to you. I have 6 4* champs and a level 300 oml and 290 goblin and I still see 3* teams until about 700 points then it switches to mostly 4* and some level 450 5* teams. Are they harder? Yeah sure...but that's why I got a better roster, so I could compete with those who had a better roster.

Edit: you can fix the problem...just sell all those you levelled up and voila ! Back to the baby pool again..
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    So essentially what you were expecting was to get a better roster yet still compete against those with worse rosters?
    No essentially what he was saying was that improving your roster shouldn't make one's game experience worse.

#readingishard
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    That has basically been the state of the game forever - as you improve, you are punished for it. People hate that, but at some point D3 mentioned half of their players at any given time have played the game for three months or less.

So while they want to keep vets (who give them some money, the biggest whales are in the highest categories!) they often pay more attention to early-game play, where they are getting HP purchases for roster slots. And they can't have those early-game folks run over by 4*/5* rosters....so they have to make sure those with higher rosters don't crush the small ones.

That all being said...I've often complained that when I was 2* I was crushed by 3*, when I was 3* I was crushed by 4*, when I was 4* I was crushed by 5*....it seems like the bar is always slightly ahead of me, because whenever I transition I don't see those teams way behind mine, even though when I was lower those teams seemed to see ME! I still don't understand that (tanking? weird bracketing?), and I still think MMR can be widened.

No, you don't want 4*'s to crush 2*'s. But is it so bad to have the 4*'s see the 3*'s? Yes, harder for the 3*'s - but gives them a -REASON- to progress! So many people still soft-cap, for many (good) reasons!
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    They need to redo/fix the formulas. I've experienced the same thing where no matter what it feels like the finish line just keeps moving. Even when I had my 3* champs it seems like for the first few 100 points I'd queue up some easy teams. Now that I have three 4* champs it feels like I only queue even fights or worse and even as low as 300 points I get attacked by a 415 OML or 390 Phoenix with boosted friends. I wish they could focus on developing a way to make Versus mode feel balanced and fun. Right now it feels like a painful and bloody brawl and if you are lucky and get near 800 then it turns into a race of how many teams you can kill in between shields. And if you don't shield hop fast enough then you get your face melted because most people are shielded so you are the only target coming up in people's queues.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    HaywireII wrote:
    They need to redo/fix the formulas. I've experienced the same thing where no matter what it feels like the finish line just keeps moving. Even when I had my 3* champs it seems like for the first few 100 points I'd queue up some easy teams. Now that I have three 4* champs it feels like I only queue even fights or worse and even as low as 300 points I get attacked by a 415 OML or 390 Phoenix with boosted friends. I wish they could focus on developing a way to make Versus mode feel balanced and fun. Right now it feels like a painful and bloody brawl and if you are lucky and get near 800 then it turns into a race of how many teams you can kill in between shields. And if you don't shield hop fast enough then you get your face melted because most people are shielded so you are the only target coming up in people's queues.

The finish line moving is not the problem. If you think that's the problem, you need to redefine your expectations because MPQ is a competitive game and competitive gaming means there's always someone better.

That said, the problem *is* that the finish line sometimes moves more than at other times, and those times feel very unfair. It's easy to track down when that happens: it happens whenever a player tries to transition to a new tier. This is why there's such a huge dropoff in player retention for players trying to transition to 3*s. The solution, IMO, is just to...not transition. The game is at its most diverse and engaging when you softcap.