Sigarda not giving hexproof to player

DragonSorcerer
DragonSorcerer Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
Sigarda is not working correctly. I had her on the board and so I should have hex-proof, hoverer Liliana's first ability still destroyed my first and last cards. Not seen what happens against Chandra's first ability yet.

Comments

• Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2016
    It's definitely not working for sure.
    You can get spell cast to target your planeswalker directly.

Should Liliana discard work?
    Well that's debatable.

In this game anything with hexproof is basically immune to spell that affect a single thing even if they do not specify "target". This is not consistent to the description of hexproof effect(and also as a side note not consistent with paper magic hexproof).
    So if we want to "make this inconsistency consistent"(yeah I know a little hard to follow) it should not make you discard.

If instead we were to apply the hexproof literally, Liliana first skill does not say "target planeswalker" so hexproof should not protect you from her skill.

That said Sigarda does not work at all for protecting planeswalkers so a fix is needed for sure.
  • Alicrast
    Alicrast Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Chandras abilities all still hit with sig out.
  • Monk
    Monk Posts: 23
    Morphis wrote:
    In this game anything with hexproof is basically immune to spell that affect a single thing even if they do not specify "target". This is not consistent to the description of hexproof effect(and also as a side note not consistent with paper magic hexproof).
    So if we want to "make this inconsistency consistent"(yeah I know a little hard to follow) it should not make you discard.
    Yes and no... In facts, if your first creature has hexproof, then it is immune to effects targeting the "first creature" (Claustrophobia, Prism Array, ...)
  • Morphis
    Monk wrote:
    Morphis wrote:
    Yes and no... In facts, if your first creature has hexproof, then it is immune to effects targeting the "first creature" (Claustrophobia, Prism Array, ...)
    Well that is in line with what I said and you quoted.
    Claustrophobia, prism array, etc... Have not the word "target" so they should work but instead don't.
  • Monk
    But it depends on the definition the system gives to 'target'. Technically, 'the first creature' is a target! It's an 'arbitrary target', and not a 'player choice target', but it still is... Note that I'm not against what your saying, by the way!
  • Morphis
    Monk wrote:
    But it depends on the definition the system gives to 'target'. Technically, 'the first creature' is a target! It's an 'arbitrary target', and not a 'player choice target', but it still is... Note that I'm not against what your saying, by the way!
    Yes I know.
    The explanation I gave is basically the one given in paper magic to explain hexproof rule.
    Basically any spell that has the word "target" cannot be used on opponent's hexproof creature. This is the simplest way to explain how it works in paper.
    Anyways it does not work this way here.
    That's to explain that effects like Liliana first skill should still work on hexproofed players cause the skill does not say "target opponent" but simply "opponent".
    That going by paper rules of course.
    This game has many differences that are claimed to be intentional and not bugs. So nothing is set in stone.
    It is simply up to the developer to decide what effect they want and thus tag different behaviors as bug or working as intended. icon_e_wink.gif

P.s. This also means that looking at hexproof Ingame description effect that work on "first creature" should bypass hexproof. This is not the case but at least it is consistent(all hexproof creature are immune to all "first creature" effects).
    This could even be changed in future, you never know...

Btw if you are interested in these game mechanics check the topic in my signiture.
    There are lots of strange or hidden interactions in this game
  • Alicrast
    I can name an exception the card tragic arrogance can't kill hexproof creatures such as run away carrage. If it's any consolation it makes it a powerful addition to runaway carrage decks ( =
  • Morphis
    Alicrast wrote:
    I can name an exception the card tragic arrogance can't kill hexproof creatures such as run away carrage. If it's any consolation it makes it a powerful addition to runaway carrage decks ( =
    That I would say is "borderline".
    Picking a creature means selecting, thus targeting. So it should not work on hexproof.
    Standing completely by the wording though it does not state target.
    It's one of the cases where it could or couldn't be working as intended.
  • Morphis wrote:
    Alicrast wrote:
    Picking a creature means selecting, thus targeting. So it should not work on hexproof.
    You should be able to target another creature and RC should die. If that's not working, then Tragic arrogance is not working correctly
  • Alicrast
    It's not working when you select a different creature rc stays alive lol
  • Monk
    Then, this is bugged since SmotheringAbomination does destroy the RC as well!
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Morphis wrote:
    Alicrast wrote:
    You should be able to target another creature and RC should die. If that's not working, then Tragic arrogance is not working correctly

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49668&p=564393&hilit=tragic+arrogance#p558588
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dont think the dev team had any idea what they meant when they wrote 'you gain hexproof' on the card.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Recorded in the Shadows Over Innistrad Buglist. Please head to that thread to like the original post and make it a Hot Topic. Thankyou.