VIP - Is it worth it?

EleganceFlawed
EleganceFlawed Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Been playing about 200 days and starting to get serious. Is the VIP subscription worth it?

Realistically it's like two fancy coffees a month.

I think I'm mostly concerned about roster slots.

Comments

• fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 383 Mover and Shaker
    I'm on day ~960, and it's not really worth it to me. My largest problem is Iso8, and lack thereof.

Additional 4* covers doesn't help (as I have 4*s to champion and I don't have enough Iso8), all 3*s championed, and can't get a highpowered 5* to save my life....

So does 3 4* covers help you? Probably not, you need your 3*s championed, and your 2*s championed too, then proceed to 4* land (is my advice).

The better healing might help you, depending if you can play all day on your phone, I play on a PC 1x a day, so that doesn't help me at all, and it's worthless.

So if you did do it, bank the Leg tokens, use the Heroic tokens, and use the HP+Iso8 for your roster. Is that worth $10 for you? that's your call.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    fnedude wrote:
    I'm on day ~960, and it's not really worth it to me. My largest problem is Iso8, and lack thereof.

Additional 4* covers doesn't help (as I have 4*s to champion and I don't have enough Iso8), all 3*s championed, and can't get a highpowered 5* to save my life....

So does 3 4* covers help you? Probably not, you need your 3*s championed, and your 2*s championed too, then proceed to 4* land (is my advice).

The better healing might help you, depending if you can play all day on your phone, I play on a PC 1x a day, so that doesn't help me at all, and it's worthless.

So if you did do it, bank the Leg tokens, use the Heroic tokens, and use the HP+Iso8 for your roster. Is that worth $10 for you? that's your call.

I tried one round right when it debuted - I enjoyed the extra resources; the healing rate was kind of moot for me. I let it lapse, but renewed last week as a "thank you" for the SHIELD level rollout going smoothly (as much as any new feature could be expected to).

Although my VIP won't be up when Clearance Levels roll out, if that runs as smoothly as Levels did, AND if it seems to me to do what we think it probably should toward easing the 3* to 4* transition (can't speak for the 4 -> 5 one), I'll probably renew one more time as an extra "thank you." Not sure after that.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    $9.99 is worth:
    9500 ISO-8
    700 HP
    9 Command Points
    6 Heroic Tokens
    2 Legendary Tokens

To put this in a calculable perspective, $9.99 could get you 3200 ISO-8 and 600 HP at once from the store (Treasure Box and Agency Expenses combined).

Heroic Tokens could be considered 100 HP a piece (using daily deal), so 700 HP and 6 HT could be looked at as 1300 HP. Over 10 months ($99.90), you're getting 13,000 HP (7000 HP and 60 HT) and 95,000 ISO-8 along with 20 LT and 90 CP.
    $99.99 could also buy:
    20,000 HP and 7 CP for your alliance
    or 78,000 ISO-8 and 7 CP for alliance

Clearly, you get more ISO-8 over time from VIP. You get less hero points than from a bulk buy of HP alone. You also get CP and LTs. I consider VIP worth it for efficiency when compared to the package deals in the store. It'll just take a long time to accumulate that value.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    If all you're concerned about is roster slots, then just buying HP is probably more sensible to you. 2 months of VIP gets you 1,400 HP to spend on roster slots for $20, and you have to wait 2 months to get it. Buying $20 of HP gets you 2900 HP to spend on roster slots immediately.

The hero tokens and all that are nice sometimes, and will even probably net you some HP, if you have a lot of 2*s championed. In my experience though, and also prioritizing roster slots, VIP while nice, wasn't where I wanted to spend my money.

The one downside I'll put in here is that once you spend $20 on HP, the HP be gone almost instantly, and you'll find yourself wanting more slots again. At least with VIP, there's a throttle on spending money, and an extended sense of getting rewards, even if they aren't always what you need most.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    It won't make any difference immediately math aside.

not enough hp for a slot (for me anymore anyhow, other wise it may get you one a month, early in the game 2)
    not enough iso to even slap too many levels on a 2 star
    not enough covers to make someone useful, unless you've some godly luck.
    not enough command points to get you a pull.

It's a poor value but its something in addition every day. Unless you make other purchases though, it won't do anything.

In fact with 10 months worth of vip, you're better off piggy banking and going into a buyers club and going for 100 bucks worth for HP.

You'd get 140 command points + a massive amount of Hp for slots or 40 hero token packs, which only have a good return with high amounts of spending anyhow.

Like everything else in the game, VIP isn't set up for a one time purchase to solve a problem. It's more a bandage to the gunshot wound of a lack of iso, and for a majority of the player base covers over 3 stars.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends.

How valuable are LTs and CP to you?
    10 CP (3x3 plus 1 for renewing) would cost you one Stark and one Asgard, that's quite a bit more than 10 bucks (buy clubs notwithstanding).
    Plus two LTs which can contain anything from a useless Banner to an awesome Black Bolt.

Also, don't underestimate the faster healing rate on 5* chars.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    not really, but...

well given how much I play MPQ and their positive changes I can do worse things with $10. and it's nice getting a bit more of a bonus each day even if I am paying for it >.<;
  • Tiderian
    Tiderian Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    My wife and I are both VIP, less because of the in-game bonuses, and more because it's a way for us to feel like we are encouraging sustainment and development of a game we both enjoy.

Plus, as people who are just getting to the end of 3* land, the LTs that we can't get elsewhere are nice bonuses to look forward to.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just realized that VIP is a lot like Doc Ock's Armed and Dangerous. It does a lot of things, but it doesn't do any of them particularly well.

It gives you a little HP, some more ISO, a Legendary token, some CP and some Heroic tokens. But it doesn't give you enough of any of them to be really useful. Is it worth the money? Probably, compared to straight buying something for $10. But it doesn't have that "wow" factor.
  • If you are going to spend, it's the best value for your money. If you desperately need roster slots, then you might be better off buying HP out right. I'd also recommend max champion all the 2*. They provide a very nice trickle of HP.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been subscribed since it debuted - for a frame of reference, I'm a little past day 400, and have thrown down a Stark here and there, though not nearly as much since HP-buying covers went away.

It's not a life-changing amount of resources, but I enjoy the extra trickle of goodies coming in, and the extra HP helps when I screw up timing a PVP and have to use more than my usual 1-2 shields. If you're not going hard on pvp, they'll help you keep up on roster slots, too. The LTs are nice, of course.

I'd say the earlier on you buy it, the better of a deal it is, since ISO and HP needs increase as your roster develops.

The healing bonus is completely pointless, though. I dunno about everyone else, but if my characters are so lightly damaged that I could reasonably wait for them to heal up, they're practically full health and I'll just take them into a match anyway. A better bonus would be increasing your max regenerated health packs by 2.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, especially the earlier you are. As someone at day ~180 I find it very worth it.