Thoughts on how to make Odric, Lunarch Marshal viable?

Options
Jazzpha
Jazzpha Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Trying to run this guy in Sorin right now, and I think he's suffering from the same problem Oblivion Sower had before it was rebalanced. Even if you get a 6-mana discount thanks to Behold the Beyond, you're still looking at an 18 mana card. And if you don't, 24 mana is prohibitive even for someone with Sorin's gains. By the time you can drop this guy, the game is usually decided more or less.

I'm wondering if running some more gem converters might help, or if Odric is just a bit overcosted, period. Has anyone here had success running him?

Thanks!

Comments

• VacaNeon
    VacaNeon Posts: 24
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Too expensive
    Requires setups to be effective
    Can be killed easily before he starts doing something

George Clooney sucks
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I haven't thought too much on it, but what if instead of his current ability he had something like, "Whenever a creature with a passive trait enters the battlefield, all your creatures gain that ability until the end of your next turn"? This would take into account any creature from either side. Also, bring his cost down to 18-20.

PS I thought we agreed it was George Clooney + Sean Connery.

George Cloonnery.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    I haven't thought too much on it, but what if instead of his current ability he had something like, "Whenever a creature with a passive trait enters the battlefield, all your creatures gain that ability until the end of your next turn"? This would take into account any creature from either side. Also, bring his cost down to 18-20.

PS I thought we agreed it was George Clooney + Sean Connery.

George Cloonnery.
    I really loved This odric in the dotp serie(I know it's not the same card):

Image.ashx?multiverseid=259670&type=card
    He had such an unique and powerful skill.

Our odric in this game is indeed too slow.
    When I got it I instantly put it in the "will be maybe good if they change it" and never played it.

The effect is fine does and does work with the human theme too.
    The problem is that as already pointed out by others it requires too much setup in addition to its slowness.

I think a big mana reduction is needed together with stat nerf(stat nerf to allow more mana reduction).

Something like 15 mana 6/6 could work maybe.
    Dont know for sure, just change it to try and make it viable.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thinking on it more, Avacyn is 18 mana for 8/8 flyer that can wipe the board 2+ times AND has some protection when entering the battlefield. Odric definitely needs some changes.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    rather have veteran war leader in my deck. She's nicely OP. icon_e_smile.gif
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So what cost would make Odric good? Is he good at 18? Probably not. 16? Does his P/T need reducing so his cost can be reduced further?
  • glggwp
    glggwp Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    it needs to be 12.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    Our odric in this game is indeed too slow.
    When I got it I instantly put it in the "will be maybe good if they change it" and never played it. [snip] The problem is that as already pointed out by others it requires too much setup in addition to its slowness.

I think a big mana reduction is needed together with stat nerf(stat nerf to allow more mana reduction).

Something like 15 mana 6/6 could work maybe.

100% agreed on all of these points. I have him but I can't see any reason to add him to my deck over Avacyn.