Help balance us in 3* land

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
Love the game.

Of the 5 tiers of covers (1* thru 5*) I think most players spend the longest during the three-star tier. Once a player has a solid roster of 2* characters, which doesn't take too awful long, the three's start coming fairly quickly. Fours and fives are still rare acquires. Some of the older 3* characters need to be re-balanced, however. Here are my suggestions:

Black Panther (T'Challa): His blue is irrelevant. Most other tile-creators just create the tiles, why the countdown? Too often the countdown tile is matched away before it generates anything. Either allow the player to place the countdown tile (like Cap's abilities) and have it disappear after a certain amount of tiles are created, or remove it all together and have his blue behave like his yellow.

Punisher (Dark Reign): This guy used to be pretty effective back in the day, but he has been passed on by. His black needs to do about 1.5x current damage. His green needs more damage output as well, or let it generate AP like Storm's green. They can both cost a bit more AP if my suggestion is too OP.

Psylocke (Classic): More damage out of her red and black abilities. Also, her blue is as useless as Black Panther's. Why can't she just outright steal AP like the various Black Widows? Have them all cost a little more if you must.

Hulk (Indestructible): Why does his red have to consume so much green AP? Lose the green consumption for extra damage and just make his red do less straight damage, more along the lines of Thor's red. Using one ability shouldn't cripple another. He's the Hulk, dammit, he should be more like Thor and be a straight damage-output dude.

Ragnarok (Dark Avengers): From first to worst, how the mighty have fallen. His green needs help - remove both the damage to allies as well as the column destruction to balance it.

Comments

• veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Well, you cant expect heroes will be useful in every situation. Most of covers you named are very very useful when combined properly.
    Also there are man heroes who have one or more skills completely useless (Quakes blue, Squirell girls green, 3* Black Widow red etc.)

Hulk - When his black is maxed, hes great combo with 3* Wolverine and 3* Kamala (or other team that will let him tank and support him with sword tiles). Trust me, 1K team damage every time he gets hurt is very good.
    Punisher - His abilites suck badly, not trying to deny that... but instantkilling red for all enemies below 40% hp? Exceptional in events like Civil War or Galactus.
    Black Panther - With Iron fist and Doom giving him black SPs, his 4000+ team damage black makes him badass.
    Rangnarok - Pretty cheap heal plus creates charge tiles also pretty cheaply - great with 4* Thor or Black Bolt
    Psylocke - I agree with you on this one - she is the least useful 3* i have (and i have them all). Weak damage skills, useless Bewilder... yes, she could use some revamp.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    veny wrote:
    Well, you cant expect heroes will be useful in every situation. Most of covers you named are very very useful when combined properly.
    Also there are man heroes who have one or more skills completely useless (Quakes blue, Squirell girls green, 3* Black Widow red etc.)

Hulk - When his black is maxed, hes great combo with 3* Wolverine and 3* Kamala (or other team that will let him tank and support him with sword tiles). Trust me, 1K team damage every time he gets hurt is very good.
    Punisher - His abilites suck badly, not trying to deny that... but instantkilling red for all enemies below 40% hp? Exceptional in events like Civil War or Galactus.
    Black Panther - With Iron fist and Doom giving him black SPs, his 4000+ team damage black makes him badass.
    Rangnarok - Pretty cheap heal plus creates charge tiles also pretty cheaply - great with 4* Thor or Black Bolt
    Psylocke - I agree with you on this one - she is the least useful 3* i have (and i have them all). Weak damage skills, useless Bewilder... yes, she could use some revamp.

How is Ragnarok good with 4hor? Her blue is much better than his at creating charged tiles, and the added effect more useful. Goes to show that only by making stretches of logic it can be said that Ragnarok is not trash.
  • veny
    My Thor has 5/5/3 so her blue is not that good.
    Ragnarok is great 3* tank... no matter what you say his HP and healing ability plus cheap red and team damage makes him... at least average hero. Yes, he is not super useful, but there are are least 5 3* heroes who are significantly weaker.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    veny wrote:

Wait, when did Quake's Blue power become completely useless? I think you meant "potentially game-winning" and "can cause awesome cascades" or "can deny your opponent their most powerful color" or "strategically useful".
  • veny
    Well, destroying random colors without giving APs seems like a weak ability for 7 blue AP. Sure, it can help you sometimes, but there are better skills with better damage output.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    veny wrote:
    Well, destroying random colors without giving APs seems like a weak ability for 7 blue AP. Sure, it can help you sometimes, but there are better skills with better damage output.

You've got this ability all wrong. It isn't about damage. It isn't about AP generation. It's about erasing whatever your opponent is trying to put on the board. CDs, special tiles, whatever...don't want them? Resonance frequency is your friend.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Try Quake with X-force Deadpool some time. He makes countdowns, she blows them up. It's a thing of Beauty.
  • eMaRDi
    eMaRDi Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Black Panther (T'Challa): His blue is irrelevant. Most other tile-creators just create the tiles, why the countdown? Too often the countdown tile is matched away before it generates anything. Either allow the player to place the countdown tile (like Cap's abilities) and have it disappear after a certain amount of tiles are created, or remove it all together and have his blue behave like his yellow.

It's playstyle, I think. I love his blue power. It is in most cases a "fire and forget" and especially useful on enemy teams which do not prefer matching blue.
    Look at "Falcon". That guy does not have a single attack ability. Some of his abilities are a bit quirky. But nevertheless I do play him at some occasions. Black Panther is a bit of a hybrid (2/3 utility, 1/3 damage) and in the contrary of some other characters (sadly Sentry as an example) I like each of his abilities.

I have to admit that Hulk has some flaws (my third 3* I will championing shortly). Red does not work well with his Green ability, I think. Red does consume most of his green, the same for Green, except I usually count (!) green tiles on the board before I dare to click his red ability - which does not punch much for it's hassle.

Psylocke. i have still to understand the concept of this character. I think it is about to work like e.g. Quicksilver (Locked Tiles vs. red Strike Tiles). Together with Dakens passive purple, 2* Wolverines Green or Blades Green, her Red ability sounds pretty cheap if enough strike tiles are out. It would be a lot harder if it was described like "purple strike tiles"...

Ragnarok. "Best to worse" - I have to say: I really HATE him in PvE events as opponent (that's why he is usually my first target). His blue seems to cheap to be possible (he seems to cast it almost every 2-3 turns).
    I assume he gets uninteresting on higher levels but on low levels (as for Classic Storm) he was (at least) one of my personal nightmares (next to Moonstone due to her red and black).
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster wrote:
    Try Quake with X-force Deadpool some time. He makes countdowns, she blows them up. It's a thing of Beauty.

But don't try it with DD's Ambush! She'll just disarm the trap.

Another "completely useless" power combo to try sometime: in an Ultron event, when you're getting slaughtered, try hitting XFDP's Countdown for What tiles with GSBW's pistol. He lines them up, she knocks them down. Pistol is also great to take out the big dumb robot's bombs before they blow up your face.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    Love the game.

I'd be satisfied with one small tweak: the first protect tile should be created at casting, so that even if the CD tiles is matched away before it resolves you at least got the one out of it.

(As for Cap, his yellow should work as the mirror to Panther's yellow: drop cost to 9, drop strength to ~175 or so, but the player can't select the tiles to transform. That would make his yellow a decent ability.)
    Psylocke (Classic): More damage out of her red and black abilities. Also, her blue is as useless as Black Panther's. Why can't she just outright steal AP like the various Black Widows? Have them all cost a little more if you must.
    Maybe make her blue like Blade's black. Steals X AP every turn the tile is on the board.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    eMaRDi wrote:
    Ragnarok. "Best to worse" - I have to say: I really HATE him in PvE events as opponent (that's why he is usually my first target). His blue seems to cheap to be possible (he seems to cast it almost every 2-3 turns).
    I assume he gets uninteresting on higher levels but on low levels (as for Classic Storm) he was (at least) one of my personal nightmares (next to Moonstone due to her red and black).

For what it's worth, that's usually why I save him until last. As you noted, he uses Lightning Rod. A lot. He spends so much time yo-yo-ing his health that it allows the enemy team time to collect AP and other characters to fire their powers. Rather, I focus on him last. So he fires Lightning Rod a handful of times? Big deal, he hasn't been damaged (unless on an AOE), so it's only creating charged tiles. By the time I get to him, I usually have AP stocked so I can take him down in a few moves and hopefully before he fires Lightning Rod after I've really started lighting him up.

However, the only drawback to doing this is it gives him time to gather green for Godlike Power. I just try to keep an eye on how much green he has and try to prevent him from getting the chance to fire Godlike Power. It usually works.
  • Suddenreal
    Suddenreal Posts: 92 Match Maker
    I think a lot of 3* characters will get a huge bump if we can choose sections on the board (Black Panther's blue or Punisher's green for instance). This will give us more control over the board and help our strategy instead of just "click and pray".
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    Love the game.

Of the 5 tiers of covers (1* thru 5*) I think most players spend the longest during the three-star tier. Once a player has a solid roster of 2* characters, which doesn't take too awful long, the three's start coming fairly quickly. Fours and fives are still rare acquires. Some of the older 3* characters need to be re-balanced, however. Here are my suggestions:

The only way that most players would spend the longest in the 3* tier would be if they gave up before getting to the 4* tier, the latter is almost as large as 3* now and you gain covers far slower.