Ulvanwald Hydra + Seasons Past

Options
jimilinho_
jimilinho_ Posts: 292
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So I just had to sit through a turn from the AI which lasted a good 5 minutes plus as seasons past constantly kept being cast culminating in a newly cast Hydra being a 100+ power in one turn.

I was sat there with grip of desolation so whilst it didn't matter in the long run having to just wait that long for a turn is absurd. There's no enjoyment whatsoever in playing against a combo deck in this game, so maybe there needs an adjustment to speed things up. Not a nerf, just a way to improve the experience when it's against you.

Comments

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Similarly, there seem to be a number of control decks around which include almost no win conditions... perhaps a lone RC or Despoiler of Souls.

Players can pilot these decks efficiently when they play them themselves, but often the AI will stall the game out for extended periods of time.

Ob Nixilis is particular bad for this, a player might make control deck which relies solely on Fobidden Knowldge to win the game, but the AI will rarely accumulate the loyalty necessary to activate his 3rd ability.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    jimilinho_ wrote:
    So I just had to sit through a turn from the AI which lasted a good 5 minutes plus as seasons past constantly kept being cast culminating in a newly cast Hydra being a 100+ power in one turn.

I was sat there with grip of desolation so whilst it didn't matter in the long run having to just wait that long for a turn is absurd. There's no enjoyment whatsoever in playing against a combo deck in this game, so maybe there needs an adjustment to speed things up. Not a nerf, just a way to improve the experience when it's against you.

I think you got off lucky. If I'm not wrong, the AI can go into infinite combo.
  • jeremii
    Options
    I also just ran into one, waited for more than 5 minutes, and decided to shut the game down to restart. Hope this decision didnt cost me the top 25 chance for getting the new pw...currently at rank 31...sigh
  • Dbond99999
    Options
    Yes it can go into an infinite combo. Has happened against me twice so far.
  • ridfrenzy
    ridfrenzy Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    yeah you can add Seasons past as the only spell and it is pretty likely to go infinite. Really sucks to play with though.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ridfrenzy wrote:
    yeah you can add Seasons past as the only spell and it is pretty likely to go infinite. Really sucks to play with though.

infinite turns looping deck was the ultimate deck in microprose mtg shandalar of game.
    I remember the fun time I had with a deck filled with time walk, time vault, time twister, blacklotus, and other crazy cards. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • shteev
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    jimilinho_ wrote:

He's at #2 on the leaderboard, so I wouldn't bother listening to any of his complaints. They're invalid unless they're stated by losers.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    blacklotus wrote:
    ridfrenzy wrote:

infinite turns looping deck was the ultimate deck in microprose mtg shandalar of game.
    I remember the fun time I had with a deck filled with time walk, time vault, time twister, blacklotus, and other crazy cards. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I remember playing this kind of deck using the client "Magma".
    Infinite loop usually by turn 2 turn 3 max.
    The only thing I modified was that it had no way to easily abuse the amount of mana it gained offensively so I added a ghitu fire(XR: deal X damage to target opponent or creature).
  • shteev
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    blacklotus wrote:
    ridfrenzy wrote:

I remember playing this kind of deck using the client "Magma".
    Infinite loop usually by turn 2 turn 3 max.
    The only thing I modified was that it had no way to easily abuse the amount of mana it gained offensively so I added a ghitu fire(XR: deal X damage to target opponent or creature).

There are a whole bunch of different ways you can go infinite in paper MTG, but crucially the other player has the chance to interact with you there by casting spells on your turn (provided he has the right spells in his hand, of course!)
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    jimilinho_ wrote:

He's at #2 on the leaderboard, so I wouldn't bother listening to any of his complaints. They're invalid unless they're stated by losers.
    No Shteev wait a moment you are wrong here.
    We need both winning and losing players to complain.
    This will make it fair. icon_lol.gif
  • shteev
    Options
    Morphis wrote:

Now when you say 'fair', what *exactly* do you mean by that?
  • jimilinho_
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Morphis wrote:

Now when you say 'fair', what *exactly* do you mean by that?

He's at #1 on the leaderboard, so I wouldn't bother listening to any of his complaints. They're invalid unless they're stated by losers. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    There are a whole bunch of different ways you can go infinite in paper MTG, but crucially the other player has the chance to interact with you there by casting spells on your turn (provided he has the right spells in his hand, of course!)
    Combos should have interaction and most of the infinite combs in paper MTG has been relegated to Modern and Vintage. MtG:PQ has followed Standard for the most part since release (outside of some planeswalkers) so anything that could be an infinite combo with current cards is probably not intended.