Dear D3, you're doing it wrong

Kaazz
Kaazz Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
why is it so hard to match teams in versus events? My roster has max level chars at 167. In the simulator room I'm matched against teams with a minimum of 180-200, and often see teams with 3 255 lvl chars. Really? REALLY??!? In what universe is this a fair match? This ridiculous matching has gone on as long as I've been playing (about 2 yrs) and seems to just get worse as I've leveled up my roster. I keep testing the waters in versus to see if you've figured it out, but it hasn't gotten any better.

I *want* to play the game more, but what's the point of doing versus events if I just get my a** kicked every time? So, here I sit, locked out of civil war until timer goes off, and can't play versus because all the matches are completely unwinnable. Nice job - you've just made me not play any more today. Well done!!

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are the level 255 matches unleveled fivestars? Those aren't too bad IMO, I think you can get through them with a good three-star team.
    Then again I was already in fourstar land when fivestars were introduced, so I have no real practical experience.
  • insound0
    insound0 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Most 5* are easy to beat in pvp with a 3 star team. I do it all the time. Just click on the name and see how many covers they have and also check their roster to see how likely they will be to retaliate.

I would agree that pvp needs fixing in some capacity though. Maybe with next update...
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    It kind of depends on what 5* cover it is. 1 GG purple, sure, go ahead, 1 GG black, that's a problem.

But yeah, I'm in the same boat as the OP, and unfair matchups at even very low scores is the reason I don't even bother with PvP.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,760 Chairperson of the Boards
    More or less given up on PvP for this reason: last one pitted my freshly championed 3* and two 1 cover 5* against a fully-covered OML and Phoenix (both lv 470) and lv 350 CMags. M=Needless to say, I didn't bother to waste my time on this.

I can only hope that the ranks will help improve the matching of future PvPs, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    What I don't understand is why isn't PvP a 2-way street? Last season when I had a champed OML and a boosted, champed 4*, I got hit by champed OML/Phx teams all of the time. This season when I'm playing 2 champed 5*s, I almost never see a team without 2 champed 5*. So if champed 5* teams could see me last season, why can't I see any this season? I'll see maybe 1 team like that for the entire event.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alfje17 wrote:
    More or less given up on PvP for this reason: last one pitted my freshly championed 3* and two 1 cover 5* against a fully-covered OML and Phoenix (both lv 470) and lv 350 CMags. M=Needless to say, I didn't bother to waste my time on this.

I can only hope that the ranks will help improve the matching of future PvPs, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Don't give up on PVP! Getting to 725 or 800 in PVP can be huge for 3* players. You earn all the HP from PVP and the 3* cover. This and HP from PVE, 2*-3* champs, and DPDQ tokens you can earn enough HP to roster new characters. If you just do PVE you will be at an HP deficit and either be selling characters or dropping extra $$ into the game that you might not have too.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    The root of your problem, OP, is you're trying to climb sim in the first week of the season, wait till the last week of the season and you'll have much better match making
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,760 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    Alfje17 wrote:

Don't give up on PVP! Getting to 725 or 800 in PVP can be huge for 3* players. You earn all the HP from PVP and the 3* cover. This and HP from PVE, 2*-3* champs, and DPDQ tokens you can earn enough HP to roster new characters. If you just do PVE you will be at an HP deficit and either be selling characters or dropping extra $$ into the game that you might not have too.

725 in PvP is an unattainable dream, I've never managed to get more than 250 points in any PvP. It's just a depressing slog where you quite often end up with less points than you started off with.

PvE is slow and often boring, but at least you don't lose any points icon_neutral.gif
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    A few moths ago when I was in 2-3* transition. I have been doing 725pts. with 2* team regularly.
    2*Thor+2*Black Witch - for climbing
    2*Storm+2*Mag - for fast finish

Use time slice 4,5. Don't use slice 2.

The worst thing a new player can do is opening LTokens and rostering 5*
    No, wait! THE worst woud be leveling those 1cover 5* imediately to 270 icon_lol.gif

P.S.
    Things not to do.
    Trying to make 2000 in Simulator in the first week icon_lol.gif
    In this game, best advice: Patience grasshopper, patience.
  • kobu
    kobu Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Inexplicably, I'm seeing teams around my level in SHIELD Simulator this time around. Always before it was a cavalcade of 3* champs when I didn't even have a single 2* champion. Now that I've got all my 2* champed, the teams are far more reasonable. I don't get. I figured it was single cover 5*s throwing things off, but now I have no idea how this works. I'm happy I can actually make some progress now, but I'd like to see some rhyme and reason. Maybe the clearance levels or something related to them will clear this up in the future.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    Alfje17 wrote:

It can be huge for 3 star players

But its entirely broken away from our favor at the moment.

Champing, the cp path for 4 stars, 5 stars, the stagnant cover rewards have pretty much made getting to 800 ridiculous.

Unless you have all the 3 stars champed and ready to go, odds are you aren't going to win the 3 star cover at 800, which i might add, you don't need.
    And at that point you probably already have some 4 stars.

And to the people aiming for 1000 with 4 stars and even half leveled 5 stars, we're nothing but cupcake points.

a 1 cover 5 star takes just as much effort to take down as a boosted 3 star due to their health, it's easy, but pvp past 500 is a game of how fast you can clear and how well you play the shield game.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    So after Civil War I had enough covers to champion Cyclops giving me Cyclops, Hulkbuster and Kingpin as my 4* champs. Around two thirds of the 3*'s championed now and most of the 5*'s on my roster at 1 to 4 covers with none of them leveled.

I got to about 360 points in Welcome to my Parlor using Hulkbuster and Cylops and the loaner and the first player who attacked me had 415 OML with 10 covers and champed and boosted Red Hulk. And I could have a 10 point retaliation if I wanted. The second player who attacked me had a 390 Phoenix and champed 4Pool. The third one had a 315 OML with a champed 3Thor and it was a 50 point retaliation so I actually hit him back.

I feel like if people more than 100 levels and a tier higher can see me and hit me for good points I should be seeing people 100 levels below me for good points. It never seems to happen and it feels like every time I improve my roster they just move the finish line farther away. With 3 champed 4*'s I should at least be able to stroll up to 800 points for the 3* cover with little difficulty.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also take in account that you are a thinking, human being that plans ahead and that can set up synergistic teams and exploit the AI's programmed behaviour. A diverse roster of maxed 3*s can easily take on enemies 50+ levels above them, barring unlucky cascades.