transition from 3*card to level *5 card better idea now?

8punch
8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
i just wonder if it is not better now to transition from level 3 card to 5 card, then from 3 card to 4 card then to level 5.

to get a good level 4 card that is as good as a level 5 card you need at least 8 or 9 covers of that level 4 card?

while if you get even get 1 level 5 card. it equals the same in match power as a champion level 3 card.

not to mention percentage wise it is easier to draw a level card cover then level 4 card cover you actually need. because only 8 level 5 cards compared to 42 level 4 cards.

so therefor i was thinking go from level 3 straight to level 5?

Comments

• MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Well, it is not as simple as deciding to do one of the other. Unless you whale the covers with cash money, you cant just decide to go 5s.

Basically you should hoard your ISO until you get a 12+ cover 4s and use it on him. The alternative is that you get something like a 5 cover old man logan and level him up. Whichever happens faster, you can invest in.

However, be aware that your matchmaking changes according to the top 5 leveled characters, so leveling a 5s too fast might lead to really difficult opponents if his power does not properly match his level.

Basically you should just hoard covers and see where the potential in your roster is the best for spending your ISO.
    The odds are usually better in getting a properly covered 4s. Especially hulkbuster, because his covers have been as rewards in communal alliance events (Galactus etc.). You could also save enough cp to buy the last missing cover of a 4s (I have done so) to get going with your roster.

Whatever you do, dont spread your ISO on many undercovered 4s characters. Wait until you get a useful amount of covers, usually at least 11, before putting in any ISO. The exception might be if you get the 4s ready for DPDQ win, netting a legendary cover.
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    The match damage is not a good measure for power level by the way. Matches are won with power combinations most of the time. 5s match damage helps, and is part of the appeal, but it does not make for fast wins unless you can level them up a lot.
  • I don't understand how you can "decide" to go 5* as it's very luck based. However you are right in the sense that 4* are quite irrelevant in the game now if you can skip to 5* transition directly.
  • 8punch
    i am saving all cp points and use them for level 3 covers. then i get a legendary token when champed. however those tokens are meaningless for me at the moment.

so i was thijking saving all the tokens in total for level 3 cards would be like 42 legendary tokens = 42 x 25 cp points is like 1050 CP points, + CP points hav eearned by the time. i could then trade them all at once getting at least some level 5 covers. then boost those up with the iso have saved.

and i have then a pretty good boosted up team. might take a year or so. but in the end i think it is a better idea, based on what i know so far.

however it is just an idea at the moment and specially i am in beginning of level 3 land. it is just something i am thinking about what to do. specially since more and more level 5 cards are coming out.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    8punch wrote:
    i am saving all cp points and use them for level 3 covers. then i get a legendary token when champed. however those tokens are meaningless for me at the moment.

so i was thijking saving all the tokens in total for level 3 cards would be like 42 legendary tokens = 42 x 25 cp points is like 1050 CP points, + CP points hav eearned by the time. i could then trade them all at once getting at least some level 5 covers. then boost those up with the iso have saved.

and i have then a pretty good boosted up team. might take a year or so. but in the end i think it is a better idea, based on what i know so far.

however it is just an idea at the moment and specially i am in beginning of level 3 land. it is just something i am thinking about what to do. specially since more and more level 5 cards are coming out.
    Buying 3* covers with CP is defintely not a good idea, it's far better to just save the CP and buy legendary tokens with them when you are ready to move on from the fourstar tier. Saving up whatever legendary tokens you come across until then is not a bad idea either.
    3* covers are easy enough to get from the DDQ, so using CP on them is pretty much a waste. Be patient and wait for them to build up naturally.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    As stated before don't use cp for 3* covers they're pretty easy to obtain without.

Also don't skip 4* it's the best tier. 5* matches are just match damage fights and aren't much fun.
  • 8punch wrote:

If you are just starting 3* land, your best bet is to save every single cp and LT you get until you have every 3* championed. If you are regularly playing pve (which is where the bulk of your playing time should be spent) and you do this, you should end up with a ridiculous amount of cp by the time you champion every 3*. At that point you should have enough latest token pulls via cp and tokens to get 3 highly covered 5* toons. It will take a while to do it this way, but it will save you a very long time towards the high end game play.

I would also recommend championing every 2* before you start the 3* and farming the 2*. It will add to your cp flow and will pay for all of the roster slots
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    The sad truth is that whether you want to do this or not, it is the way the game is *currently* set up. There may be a time very soon that it's not the case however.

Just take a look at the odds chart of LTs. Even in classics you have a higher chance to pull any single 5* than you do of pulling any single 4*. When you factor in OP's point that you need 10+ 4* covers to make them usable (really you need 13, but let's go with 10) and maybe only 5 or 6 covers in a 5* to make them usable, it's pretty clear that just from token pulls you're going to have a usable 5* sooner than you will have a usable 4*. Of course Black Widow is soon to be in Latest LTs which will further dilute the odds of 5* in classic LTs (2.1-ish %), but even still you're more likely to pull 5 of a given 5* than you are 10 of a given 4*.

For now I would hold off on this idea however, because I think things are going to change with the clearance level update in the next patch. Obviously we don't know what it will look like, but I have a hunch it will make it a little bit easier to transition to 4* from 3* (and hopefully from 4 to 5 too), but allowing you to target more 4* rewards than you can currently. As someone above mentioned, the gameplay in 4* tier is incredibly varied and very enjoyable. As someone who's "transitioned" to 5* play, it's not nearly as fun being limited to only using a handful of characters due to PvP MMR and PvE scaling. So, build your 4*s and enjoy the journey, don't try to rush to the finish line.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    A lot of people say that buying a 3* cover for 20 CP is a waste. I disagree personally. I certainly don't think you should exclusively spend CP on 3* covers, but if you've got a cover about to expire it's worth it. It can also be worth it to get some of the top tier characters championed. I waited for months for Iron Fist covers before I finally ended up buying like 8 covers because he was my lowest with only 5 covers and I had half of the 3*s champed already. It's a tool in the arsenal to use and it will do WAY more for you in the short term then buying LTs. You could argue that it makes sense for the long-term, but with how fast the game is changing you can't really guarantee that. It might be a year before the 4* covers you get are usable at your roster level and by then 4* might be in ddq and be just as easy to get as 3* are now.
  • 8punch
    thanks for the advise and ideas guys.

to be honest i have not seen level 4 cards yet that i think is fun to play.

cho,star lord, venom i read time and again they are not much good.

at least with level 5 cards you have at least charchters that are good to play with. you dont have to be afraid pulling a bad card.

i just keep saving legendary tokens for the moment and cp points. and i am just in level 3 land anyway. just i was thinking ahead and yeah better wait until new patch comes out to see what to do next.

that said i like powerplay.

as conan the barbarian our wise man and saviour once said.

"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women. "

icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    8punch wrote:
    you dont have to be afraid pulling a bad card.

Except...you can't. There is no way to just pull a 5*. The vast majority of the time, any attempt to pull a 5 will result in pulling a 4. You don't get to choose. Whether you're looking for Cho or OML, the process to do it is identical.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    8punch wrote:
    you dont have to be afraid pulling a bad card.

Except...you can't. There is no way to just pull a 5*. The vast majority of the time, any attempt to pull a 5 will result in pulling a 4. You don't get to choose. Whether you're looking for Cho or OML, the process to do it is identical.

And vice versa. If you're a super early player (example: 0 playable 3*s no champed 2*s) then it's super dangerous to open LTs because you can't tell it you only want 4*. Those 5* ruin scaling to ludicrous levels on rosters like that.
  • TheDrStrange
    TheDrStrange Posts: 89 Match Maker
    I think leveling your 4-star guys to the point where they can win their Daily Deadpool matches is good practice. Waiting to level until you have 12 or 13 seems like you're missing out on a lot of legendary tokens.
  • OneLastGambit
    8punch wrote:

at least with level 5 cards you have at least charchters that are good to play with. you dont have to be afraid pulling a bad card.

i just keep saving legendary tokens for the moment and cp points. and i am just in level 3 land anyway. just i was thinking ahead and yeah better wait until new patch comes out to see what to do next.

"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women. "

icon_e_biggrin.gif

Have to disagree here my friend. The 4* tier has more variety and fun in it by far. 5* seems appealing because of the match damage but I guarantee that unless you're a high end player (which you or I are not) where the health pools are big enough to actually use 5* powers then every single match will be won or lost with no powers used at all just because it is the most efficient use of 5* characters especially when underlevelled.

Don't skip the 4* tier it has tons of fun characters in it which are great to use and more importantly...tons of fun teams. The 5* tier literally has no fun teams to use and as someone with a working goblin, oml and Phoenix I can tell you only goblin is fun. Oml is so passive he's almost non existent in matches and Phoenix only fun power means you have to die first to use it (and every use will kill your team too)

I have a 2 cover banner which is actually very fun to use but I'm a long way from him being usable.

So out of the whole 5* tier there are 2 fun characters. Compare that with the 4* tier where almost all (cho, IW, xfw exempt) are fun in one way or another.

For me 4* is best tier. I could join the 5* tier if I wanted but it's Just no diverse enough for me so my iso gets invested in 4* instead.

Edit: there's a reason why so many vets are suffering burn out and retiring...because they're fed up of being forced to use Phoenix/OML in every match and every game mode.
  • 8punch
    8punch wrote:

icon_e_biggrin.gif

Have to disagree here my friend. The 4* tier has more variety and fun in it by far. 5* seems appealing because of the match damage but I guarantee that unless you're a high end player (which you or I are not) where the health pools are big enough to actually use 5* powers then every single match will be won or lost with no powers used at all just because it is the most efficient use of 5* characters especially when underlevelled.

Don't skip the 4* tier it has tons of fun characters in it which are great to use and more importantly...tons of fun teams. The 5* tier literally has no fun teams to use and as someone with a working goblin, oml and Phoenix I can tell you only goblin is fun. Oml is so passive he's almost non existent in matches and Phoenix only fun power means you have to die first to use it (and every use will kill your team too)

I have a 2 cover banner which is actually very fun to use but I'm a long way from him being usable.

So out of the whole 5* tier there are 2 fun characters. Compare that with the 4* tier where almost all (cho, IW, xfw exempt) are fun in one way or another.

For me 4* is best tier. I could join the 5* tier if I wanted but it's Just no diverse enough for me so my iso gets invested in 4* instead.

Edit: there's a reason why so many vets are suffering burn out and retiring...because they're fed up of being forced to use Phoenix/OML in every match and every game mode.

well i do have to say i have a lot of fun in th 3*card area and when i fight sometimes a level 4 card they dont seem much fun. for example howard the duck, dr xavier seems like cheats to me, invisnble woman, dr reed, cho,star lord, venom, not intresting either. only a maxed out king pin, nick fury, iceman, x23, deadpool, and have to say new spiderwoman in VS mode is a lot of fun.
    but to get those maxed, not to mention getting even 1 cover seems not easy to get. therefor i was more thinking to go straight to level 5. save money. save iso and once you even have 1 card of level 5. it is directly usuable. while with a level 4 card you need a lot of covers for the charchter te be any use.

but i got the time. and who knows what kind of stuff D3 has in store for us. at the moment i just save cp points and tokens. and if i really want to cover a level 3 card i can always do that with cp points. spending 20 cp points for a cover for a level 3 card is not so much, but spending 120 for level 4 card is way to much for me.

then i rather be at the mercy of RNG
  • OneLastGambit
    8punch wrote:
    8punch wrote:

icon_e_biggrin.gif

well i do have to say i have a lot of fun in th 3*card area and when i fight sometimes a level 4 card they dont seem much fun. for example howard the duck, dr xavier seems like cheats to me, invisnble woman, dr reed, cho,star lord, venom, not intresting either. only a maxed out king pin, nick fury, iceman, x23, deadpool, and have to say new spiderwoman in VS mode is a lot of fun.
    but to get those maxed, not to mention getting even 1 cover seems not easy to get. therefor i was more thinking to go straight to level 5. save money. save iso and once you even have 1 card of level 5. it is directly usuable. while with a level 4 card you need a lot of covers for the charchter te be any use.

but i got the time. and who knows what kind of stuff D3 has in store for us. at the moment i just save cp points and tokens. and if i really want to cover a level 3 card i can always do that with cp points. spending 20 cp points for a cover for a level 3 card is not so much, but spending 120 for level 4 card is way to much for me.

then i rather be at the mercy of RNG

You just named all the bad ones lol there's tons of good ones.

A 1 cover 5* really is not as useful as you think. They will die quick against a champed 3*
    For a 5* to be useful it needs 5 or 6 covers really otherwise they are just meat shields.

If what you like about this game is just making matches then you'll probably love a 1 cover 5* but if you like firing powers id wait. Personal preference I guess.

However I will state that even Oml with 1 cover won't make the game as easy as you think, for a start your scaling will invalidate your 1 cover 5* and at the same time make it very hard for your 3* roster to finish nodes in pve and it will ruin your mmr for PvP.

Also...you can't skip the 4* tier. The only way to get 5* is with cp which 85% of the time will give you a 4*. Also...the iso cost at 5* will make you want to cry.