Lv 1 Planeswalker: New Meta?

Options
Buret0
Buret0 Posts: 1,591
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I'm seeing a lot of low level planeswalkers in platinum. I figure the goal is to make unsuspecting players win before meeting their objectives. You now have to save up your cards before casting any to ensure you don't kill these planeswalkers before getting your objectives out.

Pretty sneaky. No idea how they themselves win against the high level opponents, but seeing the decks, I don't know that they are even trying to win, just trying to keep others from scoring the extra ribbons.

Comments

• HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This doesn't really work IMHO. Sure you do handicap your opponent like this - but Lv 1 walkers are EXTREMELY weak in most cases. Some of which are almost unplayable in events because of their deck limits (see Sorin...). You're really doing yourself a disservice more than to your opponents that play against your Lv 1 walkers who can just play around your slower, weaker, and more limited Lv 1 walkers.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The event selects planeswalkers from your opponent's roster. It doesn't mean they're playing them in the nodes.

We've confirmed this in our coalition, as one member played against a planeswalker that another member wasn't using.
  • Feagul
    Feagul Posts: 114
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    The event selects planeswalkers from your opponent's roster. It doesn't mean they're playing them in the nodes.

We've confirmed this in our coalition, as one member played against a planeswalker that another member wasn't using.
    Dumb da-dumb dumb, duuuuuuuuuuuuuumb dumb!

Edit: The mechanic, not you! icon_razz.gif
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Feagul wrote:
    madwren wrote:

Dumb da-dumb dumb, duuuuuuuuuuuuuumb dumb!

Edit: The mechanic, not you! icon_razz.gif

Haha, thanks for clarifying that. =)
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    finally met a lvl 1 pw in PvP. it's an ob.

was caught by surprise because I wasn't paying attention to it and cast a full Attack deck on a lucky round 1 match 5s and cascades.

luckily I drew some destroyer cards and promptly kill my own creatures to meet the secondary objectives. it had only 32hp. lol
  • Mangus 73
    Mangus 73 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    When u play the event the people in your pool can play any of your characters so by having level 1 characters in your roster your stopping them from getting the extra points as level 1 toons will die super fast.
    This will reduce their score giving you a leg up the leader board.
    So basically its cheating to gain advantage and hopefully will be fixed soon.
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    You can't say it's cheating. I had collected some crystals and bought all mono colored planeswalkers instead of dupe boxes. I don't have runes to level them up, but for some reason I leveled them all to 20, so they could at least have their ultimate ability. That's something I initially didn't plan to do, I just wanted them in my collection.
    Then the game bugs out and my low level planeswalkers with default decks get picked as opponents for other players.
    I am not cheating, even if I wanted to, I cannot level then up, as I don't have enough mana runes. That's an issue in the game and has to be fixed.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    It's not cheating. Why are you complaining about a walkover? I welcome any lvl 1 encounter that isn't a suicidal ob.

Surely you possess similar restraint as I, where you hold your creatures in reserve till you're ready to win. Your lvl 1 opponent meanwhile struggles for mana and you don't even have to work for board control.
  • Mangus 73
    Mangus 73 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lol, chill out guys. It exployting the current matchmaking then how's that. That's why it's being done and just cause me or you won't go that low plenty people need all the advantage they can get.
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    It's not "done" and it's not cheating. How can you say that someone is cheating just for owning a planeswalker. I have other plabeswalkers to spend my runes at the moment. It's just that the system is dumb. No one knew about that a few days ago. I cannot level down my planeswalkers so I can "do" this. It just happens and that's the devs fault, not players who just own planeswalkers.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    I think the reason for this was to fix the "no available matches" issue, but it just created a new issue. I've got some level one PWs because I just bought out Gideon 2 and Tezzeret, but I'm still only 56 with Kiora and Gideon 1, so I have other run priorities. Not everyone has unlimited runes from playing 300+ qbs every two days.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I did see some low level walkers, when matched against top ranked players. I didn't understand why anyone would select a level 1 walker for the event. Now it makes sense though.

Unfortunately, I have a level 1 Koth in my stable, so it probably griefed others in the event. The next lowest level in my stable was Gideon II at lvl 34 so that's not too bad.

The problem was that once I saw Ob Nix disappear from the vault last week or so ago, I decided to buy all the remaining planeswalkers just in case, so they are not completely leveled.