Best way to handle both sides in Civil War?

Options
Quebbster
Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
My Alliance is a bit split about how to tackle the Civil War event (which is very thematically appropriate by the way. icon_e_smile.gif). It's mostly a matter of what rewards people want - some (me included) are more interested in Winter Soldier while others prefer Cyclops. In previous runs we have focused on one side until we cleared round 7, then switched to the other side and usually got through round 5 just Before the event ended. This time someone suggested trying to clear round 6 on both sides as a compromise.
My question is: what would be the best way to do this? Should we still try to focus on one side first, or would it work just as well (or maybe even better?) if everyone plays whatever side they like best at first and then maybe refocusing some efforts on one side towards the end of the event?
Anyone crunched the numbers on this?
It's a casual Alliance but it does have quite a few members that can get final progression in an event like this - for one side at least. icon_e_smile.gif Many just play here and there though.

Comments

• thanos8587
    Options
    the best way to score more overall points is to not waste boss fights at low point values. this means using the nodes to score points on one side pushing that side through the early rounds while hitting the other side boss. you can easily clear the first three rounds (maybe four) on one side just with those points, meanwhile all your boss fights are for higher points.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 699 Critical Contributor
    Options
    thanos8587 wrote:
    the best way to score more overall points is to not waste boss fights at low point values. this means using the nodes to score points on one side pushing that side through the early rounds while hitting the other side boss. you can easily clear the first three rounds (maybe four) on one side just with those points, meanwhile all your boss fights are for higher points.

So let me see if I understand this. You're saying that an alliance who is playing the team Iron Man side does the non-boss fights on the team Cap side but the boss fights on the team Iron Man side?
  • thanos8587
    Options
    thanos8587 wrote:

So let me see if I understand this. You're saying that an alliance who is playing the team Iron Man side does the non-boss fights on the team Cap side but the boss fights on the team Iron Man side?

yes you can flip and flop at will. the only pattern is boss fight, node fight, boss fight, node fight, etc.

you can play any node you like which unlocks both bosses, fight a boss(either one) which locks both bosses and unlocks the remaining sub nodes on both sides. if you want to score the highest overall points you want to always be fighting boss battles for the highest point value. using the node fights only to push the early rounds of your nonprimary boss keeps you from having to fight that boss for his early round values and lets you score larger points against your primary boss target who you have pushed to rounds 5 and beyond. the sub node points remain constant on both sides regardless of the round each boss is in and are only impacted by the 8 hour resets.
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My alliance won all rewards last time from both sides. We did this by doing a 12/8 split and having our beefiest rosters start Team IM (the 8). IMO beating IM boss fight at level 8 is much harder than Cap. Once everyone hits progression for their side we switch to the other side. I don't recall the exact math but it's like 1,038,000 per player each side. We finished with many hours to spare.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I dunno, if everyone's motivated, then you can simply kill off one side and then kill off the other. There was no real strategy; we just hit all the times and pulled it off.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    first run we completed one and got through rd 7 of the other after taking our collective feet off the gas. could have finished if we had kept plugging away I think. second run easily finished both sides. plan on doing so here again, but focusing on rd 7 on both sides first. then rd 8s as we can. might or might not work out, but I value usable covers way higher than tokens and all 6 available covers are usable for me.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We've done it both ways and there didn't really seem to be much difference between alternating nodes on one boss and boss fight on the other versus just doing everything on one side, then the other.

Ultimately it's the same amount of damage points you need to do either way, so it probably doesn't matter. It just comes down to how active your alliance is.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The total number of points you need to accumulate to beat rounds 1-7 is only slightly more than the number you need to beat just round 8 -- a little over 11 million for the first seven rounds versus 9.7 million for round 8. So if you swap out after beating round 7 rather than going for that last Red Room token (which is likely to just be another 4*, and not as good of one as Cyclops) you should be able to get all the guaranteed covers easily.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The total number of points you need to accumulate to beat rounds 1-7 is only slightly more than the number you need to beat just round 8 -- a little over 11 million for the first seven rounds versus 9.7 million for round 8. So if you swap out after beating round 7 rather than going for that last Red Room token (which is likely to just be another 4*, and not as good of one as Cyclops) you should be able to get all the guaranteed covers easily.
    exactly. you **** yourself on personal progressions but 3 guaranteed covers > 1 token anyway. and at the end you can then refocus and try and make 8 on one side, then the other if time allows.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Options
    thanos8587 wrote:

I love this idea! There was such a huge discrepancy between the points I got and the points the person who cleared the boss nodes first. I felt bad that they cleared it first and took much less points simply because I didn't have the time to fight until lunch time.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If all 20 alliance members can beat both bosses at round 8, then it's not a problem. You can just to one side and then the other in sequence.

But some alliances will have several members at the bottom who can't beat the bosses in Round 8, and may even struggle to beat the sub-nodes when they crank up to 300+ near the end. In those scenarios, it can make sense to do a more complicated scheme to be more efficient. 12/8 is an interesting idea. that might be especially smart for alliances with a lot of roster strength variance. Another factor to consider (and what Thanos was getting at above) is that in rounds 6 and above the subnode points become meaningless relative to the bosses' total health.

But if you have one boss at round 7 and another boss at round 2 (let's say the Iron Man boss is at round 7, and the Cap boss is at round 2) then it can make sense to split targets. In my scenario, the subnode points will make a minimal difference to IM's health. But they will make a big difference against Cap. So it makes sense to have everyone who can attach the IM boss, but then switch to the Cap subnodes. That way the alliances' heavy hitters will take down IM directly, and all the subnode points will eventually whittle down Cap. Using this strategy it's easy possible to have the second boss (Cap in my scenario) up to round 4 or 5 by the time Round 8 of the primary boss (IM in my scenario) is finished.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Most of my alliance can't handle round 8, a lot have trouble with round 7 too. It's a lot easier to gather those points on lower missions because more can contribute.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    first run we completed one and got through rd 7 of the other after taking our collective feet off the gas. could have finished if we had kept plugging away I think. second run easily finished both sides. plan on doing so here again, but focusing on rd 7 on both sides first. then rd 8s as we can. might or might not work out, but I value usable covers way higher than tokens and all 6 available covers are usable for me.

For this version of CW, round 8 alliance reward is a red LT. If I have to choose between clearing round 7 for both sides or clear round 8 for one and push the other, I would go for 6x star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png covers instead. icon_lol.gif