XP difference between PvE and PvP

Orion
Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So I started playing this morning. Went into DDQ and got 60 XP for clearing all 6 nodes (yes, even the Cho node). Then went into the Heroic PvE. Got 30 XP for clearing the 3 prologue missions and did my 4 clears in the first sub. This evening when I do 2 more clears, I'll get another 90 XP. Nice.

So then I went into Versus mode and got... nothing. You can't get any XP in PvP except for the very rare 2* cover drop or the occasional progression reward of a 2* or 3* cover. Of course PvP has mostly the same progression rewards.

That's a pretty big XP discrepancy between Story and Versus mode. Were the devs so desperate for people to play PvE that they made it the main way to increase your Shield rank?

Comments

• halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    PvP gives more covers, pve is more newbie friendly, pve rewards were already a little worse per time spent so this balances the two better, etc.

I'm sure there are lots of other good reasons that don't involve someone saying "pve is so bad we better bribe players to play."
  • JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    PVP and PVE both give you 10 XP the very first time you clear a node in the event.
    PVE has the additional benefit of 10 XP once you receive all rewards for a node.

You'll also get 3 XP for each event token you open (PVP and PVE). Yeah, it's nowhere near as much XP, but perhaps that's on purpose, no?
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    10 XP for first win in every single LR isn't half bad. Not to mention if you get in for all the seeds you're bound to rack up a bunch of 2* covers just from hitting those 7-8 seed teams.

You also forgot things like shield sim rewards (which granted you can spread out over 4 weeks), opening a 10-pack from season rewards, progression 4* cover if champed, etc. It's probably not as big of a difference as you think.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    PVP already gives tons of rewards. PVE has always been pretty reward-lite. So it makes sense that more XP is given in PVE to try to balance it out.

You still get XP from PVP with event tokens and 2* covers won, plus all the 3* covers, 4* covers and CP won as well.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't get 10xp on my first win for shield sim, nor did I get it in today's LR
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie wrote:
    I didn't get 10xp on my first win for shield sim, nor did I get it in today's LR

Likewise. Either it's not working or they really did set it so your first ever win in PvP gets experience and then never again.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    Were the devs so desperate for people to play PvE that they made it the main way to increase your Shield rank?

In short, yes. There has been frequent references to a lack of "engagement" in Story events, which is something that the developers have flagged a priority for some time now.

And, yes, a big part of that problem is the discrepancy between progression rewards. The 4* cover in PvP is perhaps the most obvious point of difference; it's the single most easily attainable "guaranteed" progression. As a progression reward, it is quantity is limited only to the number of people who reach the point target. All other 4* covers are either limited to specific ending ranks, or at the mercy of RNG in Legendary Tokens.

The initial reveal of SHIELD Rank and Clearance Rank already seemed to suggest a focus on improving PvE rewards vs effort, so the "extra" XP doesn't really come as a surprise.

I honestly think this has been a very good first step from Demiurge. It feels like we're seeing a plan starting to take shape; I'm very keen for the next phases.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    This is also just part 1. Part 2 is supposed to bring in the tiers, I believe. So, higher tiered PvP might be getting more rewards soon.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beyond considerations such as player engagement in the various game modes, maybe the assumption is that pretty much everyone will get the xp from ddq and then the pve events get more xp than pvp because it has higher time commitments than pvp.