Reward Ranking XPs before match has resolved

fnedude
fnedude Posts: 383 Mover and Shaker
So it's starting to give you the Ranking XPs before the match is resolved.

For instance I activate JG's Pink power and nuke the opponent, and then it gives me the Ranking XPs (are we calling them XPs?).

But it hasn't resolved all of the animations of:
JG's power going off
resolving damage to the opponents
doing any matches (I did this w/ Hawkeye's Pink power and made a crit, which then made a cascade which let me win)
showing victory screen animation.

So the sequence of animations/events needs to be fixed.

I guess I should specify, I'm on a PC. icon_lol.gif

Comments

• SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    This is consistent with how several victory banners have been displayed in the past, as it displays when the game knows you've won. (obviously before many other animations finish.) It's just now there's a more relevant reason to notice the banner.

I'm sure when they have the time they will adjust it's appearance timing.
  • sls1975
    sls1975 Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    I noticed this today, however, I received the xp and the message claiming I had won before the cascade occurred that secured victory. Now call me cynical but does this prove that the cascades are not as random as we are led to believe as the AI seemed to know the game would be over before the cascade occurred!!!
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    sls1975 wrote:
    I noticed this today, however, I received the xp and the message claiming I had won before the cascade occurred that secured victory. Now call me cynical but does this prove that the cascades are not as random as we are led to believe as the AI seemed to know the game would be over before the cascade occurred!!!
    It's calculated the damage from the move, chose the tiles that will be destroyed/converted and has randomized the tiles that will drop in the cascade, and calculated the total damage well before the animation has even begun. The calculations don't wait for the animation to perform each step. Any steps that do not require user input are calculated immediately and animation follows.

Imagine how slow it would be if it had to wait for the tiles to destroy, then calculate what tile is next, then animate that tile, then calculate which one is next, then animate that tile... yikes. It's the same reason you can't pause the game when the end result is you losing based on the calculations already performed after a move.

I'm worried that trying to put the xp at the end would mess up something and not grant the XP, so I'm ok with the timing. It lets me know that I just won, watch if I want to or go ahead and take a drink while the animation finishes up, so I don't have to watch the cascades.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I've noticed this a bunch of times today and was going to post about it, because while I'm not saying "OMG! See! the game is rigged!", I do think it looks pretty bad.

I've been leaning heavily on 3* Human Torch's green for the Heroic: Oscorp PVE event (which I think is a pretty underrated ability). At the start of each turn, he does a bunch of damage depending on how much green AP he has stockpiled. And this is what I've seen a bunch of times this event:

- Bring final enemy down to 800-1800 health.
    - screen says VICTORY! and awards XP.
    - game goes through the animations of the AI's turn, which several times has included multiple cascades.
    - AI turn finishes, my turn comes up, HT's green fires and brings AI to zero health.

As a result, there's often 5-15 seconds between the VICTORY banner coming up and the AI actually getting knocked down to 0 health. My assumption is that the computer has already figured out how the AI's turn will resolve and knows the match is over, but it just looks really weird.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, this is both distracting and not a really good look for how the game is doing stuff "behind the scenes".

I mean, we all know it does it, but to have it shoved in your face time after time is a bit much.