Defensive wins

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Why are they worth so little?

seeing as your team is at the mercy of the, how shall say it, less than intelligent ai. maybe they should be worth more points.

if i stand to lose 30+ points for taking a loss i should at least earn 2/3 of those points for miraculously winning.

Comments

• cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Retreat boosting was an exploit used in the past. That's when they lowered Def. wins to such a paltry amount. I'm sure a quick search of the forums would find all the info on it.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    There was a loophole in the scoring system that allowed players to coordinate to gain lots of points very quickly, by intentionally losing to one another. We’ve closed that loophole by reducing the amount of points gained from a defensive win to ⅓ of what it was previously. The defender currently wins in a Versus match only about 10% of the time, so this has a small impact on players who weren’t intentionally losing to one another.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30142

There was a time when a defensive win was worth quite a lot. It was always fun to get your 1K or 1300 progression via defensive wins, back in the day. Nowadays, it's just meh.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    morph3us wrote:
    There was a loophole in the scoring system that allowed players to coordinate to gain lots of points very quickly, by intentionally losing to one another. We’ve closed that loophole by reducing the amount of points gained from a defensive win to ⅓ of what it was previously. The defender currently wins in a Versus match only about 10% of the time, so this has a small impact on players who weren’t intentionally losing to one another.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30142

There was a time when a defensive win was worth quite a lot. It was always fun to get your 1K or 1300 progression via defensive wins, back in the day. Nowadays, it's just meh.

I enjoyed retreat boosting parties much more than the current cupcake meta.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    The problem, more than likely, was that the retreat meta allowed you to reach progression without actually having to play the game. As least with the current cupcake meta, you actually have to play to get the points.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Retreat boosting was also alot more social and fun. You had alot more active battle chat comms vs "Q me now 2210 loaner/mhawkeye/ms. marvel" " Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but when they cut the defensive win values, I thought they also boosted the points for a victory.

I.e. by eliminating retreat boosting, they basically created the incentive for players to develop CCing as the meta
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    Retreat boosting was also alot more social and fun. You had alot more active battle chat comms vs "Q me now 2210 loaner/mhawkeye/ms. marvel" " Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but when they cut the defensive win values, I thought they also boosted the points for a victory.

I.e. by eliminating retreat boosting, they basically created the incentive for players to develop CCing as the meta
    You are correct. Before they slashed the defensive win reward the max you could get from a win was 50 points, it was increased to 75 as compensation.
    I remember a Gamora PvP where I was going to shield hop to 1000 points, but the first game went South and I reshielded. Then the defensive wins started rolling in and eventually bumped me past 1000...
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they restored the points for defensive wins, I'm not sure people would bother with the boosting parties anymore, except maybe in a dead shard. 1300 isn't the target goal it used to be.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't mind having small defensive wins, but I hate having massive defensive losses. It's a pain to do 10+ battles to around 700, and then suddenly lose 75 points from someone who's only at around 200 points and thus, the retaliation is only around 1 point.

I'd be happy to take 75 point losses after I've hit 1300 points, but maybe before then, the losses could be made to be much smaller, so that I can at least hit max progression.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    It might be nice if they incorporated the new SHIELD level into the calculation for points lost somehow. I know the theory is that you should lose more points when beaten by a "worse" player, but in the current system "worse" is defined as "lower score at the moment." It could be a player with a roster 5x stronger than yours who breezes through the match. At least if SHILED level was factored in, you wouldn't be punished so badly for losing to a late-starting whale.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I don't mind having small defensive wins, but I hate having massive defensive losses. It's a pain to do 10+ battles to around 700, and then suddenly lose 75 points from someone who's only at around 200 points and thus, the retaliation is only around 1 point.

I'd be happy to take 75 point losses after I've hit 1300 points, but maybe before then, the losses could be made to be much smaller, so that I can at least hit max progression.
    If your score is below 1000 you don't lose the full points calculated from the Elo rating formula, but only a fraction that equals (your current score)/1000. This means that each battle early on is a net gain of points in the slice.
    If you're at 500 points and someone hit you for 50 points, they gain 50 points, but you lose only 50*(500/1000) = 25 points.
    If you're at 800 points and you get hit by someone who saw you're worth 50 points, you lose 50*(800/1000) = 40 points.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    1300 isn't the target goal it used to be.

Ugh, it is for me. I still struggle to get to 1000.
    But then, I don't do any of the out-of-game communication cupcake stuff...
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    You don't need line to get to 1300. I've gone from truce-heavy alliances to basically non-truces, so I just skip one or two other players and attack all the rest. Just go for it!!

I rarely use cupcakes, only if I happen to see them. I generally wait for a few minutes before eating them, because it's the nice thing to do. But I probably only use one cupcake every 5 or so pvps. I certainly don't rely on them.

And if I can't hit my target score, then I just give up and try again some other time.