Minor IW tweak

Options
Mavericat
Mavericat Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
edited August 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Invisible Woman right now is slow and her powers seems to fight each other. She places special tiles down, but also to do damage she destroys a lot of tiles with some degree of randomness. The worst part is if she locks down special tiles, popping her bubbles will unlock them.

Essentially this means you're probably going to wait until you have enough blue and green before locking any tiles.

I think a minor tweak would make her much more viable:

Whenever she pops her bubbles, it destroys the locked tiles as well instead of unlocking them. This seems like her powers are more in sync versus now where they seem to have drawbacks when used together.

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As one of the lucky (?) few people who has and uses a Championed Invisible Woman, I agree that she could be better. Her green is expensive for what it does...especially since you either need her blue first, or to trigger her green twice.

I generally use her in PvE with Elektra and Hood. The two ladies tank for Hood (chivalry truly is dead! icon_e_smile.gif IW's Invisibility almost always targets Hood. Hood's main use is to steal AP often enough so that her expensive abilities can be cast a bit sooner than usual. I'll fully admit that the AI has no clue about which tiles to lock down or when to use Elektra's abilities, so this team is *terrible* in PvP...which is why you hardly ever see either of them in PvP events.

If you build IW at 5/3/5, you can control exactly what tiles get blown up when you trigger her green. While at 5/3/5 you can't lock up countdown tiles, just put one of your Force Bubbles next to the Countdown tile you want to blow up, and then trigger the green. If there is one tile you absolutely, positively want destroyed, and your build randomly leaves a tile up, then put two force bubbles on opposite sides of the tile. Likewise, if there's a tile you absolutely want to protect (a big attack/strike for YOUR team, for instance) you can lock that one up, so it stays around until after you blow the Force Fields. Sure, it might die to cascades, but you can't really do much about that.

As with everyone else that uses a blue, green or red power, 3-star Iron Man works well as a battery for her. You don't get her Grant Invisibility if you use the yellow for Recharge, but getting the rest of her abilities off that much earlier are generally worth it.

Edit - Forgot to add my tweak! If you want to get rid of the randomness, having the green blow up all of the locked tiles would be good. Conversely, you could make that ability both create and blow up the bubbles. If you do that, change the blue to do a stun, encasing the target in a Force Field. At lower levels, stun the target for 1/2/3 turns. At Levels 4 and 5, stun the entire team for 1 and 2 turns respectively.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't know if it would be a minor tweak or not, but I'd like it if her yellow power could target the character we wish to turn invisible OR at least make it always target the least healthy STILL VISIBLE team member.

Other than that, as she is, just slightly decreasing the AP cost of yellow and green would help somewhat. Maybe 8 and 10 AP respectively would be OK?
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kolence wrote:
    I don't know if it would be a minor tweak or not, but I'd like it if her yellow power could target the character we wish to turn invisible OR at least make it always target the least healthy STILL VISIBLE team member.

I was just thinking about this (since she's boosted this week) and I like the idea of targeting the least healthy visible character. It's not a cheap enough power that it could be spammed easily, but if you don't stop Sue from gathering Yellow then eventually she's going to hide her whole team. That's pretty powerful (although I think most abilities should be pretty powerful if you can cast them three times without interference).

I can only assume that this sort of change would be difficult based on the way Invisibility tiles currently work - however it's still technically achievable with the current Invisibility power (cast once, have a visible ally's health drop lower, recast, etc.)
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mavericat wrote:
    Whenever she pops her bubbles, it destroys the locked tiles as well instead of unlocking them. This seems like her powers are more in sync versus now where they seem to have drawbacks when used together.

I like this idea. I don't think she'd improve a lot with it, but it would be something that made sense.