Tanking?

Leugenesmiff
Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Does tanking still work? I seem to remember there was a change some time ago that removed its effectiveness but I'm not sure nor know if that's changed.
Thanks

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Worked for me a few weeks ago when I was out of country for 12 days on vacation and only logging in for 10 minutes on WiFi to do DDQ. I missed a couple of PvE and PvP events and when I came back I was surprised to find my first couple events were noob brackets where I was able to score T10 in PvP and T50 in PvP which is something I never do.

Now I'm back to my regular PvE/PvP brackets where I recognize the usual suspects.

KGB
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Tanking no longer works for your MMR, but yeah you can still tank to get into noob brackets. But imo the cost of missing out on the resources you get from playing far outweigh the benefits.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Tanking no longer works for your MMR, but yeah you can still tank to get into noob brackets. But imo the cost of missing out on the resources you get from playing far outweigh the benefits.

Unless there is a specific cover you are looking for, then it could be.
  • Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    So, for PvP, does tanking in the main month long Season pvp, losing a bunch of matches there, put you in an easier bracket when you start your next short PvP? It used to be you could tank for a while there, losing a bunch, then when you started a short PvP you'd face easier opponents up until 400-600 points. I'm guessing that no longer works like that?
  • Chrono_Tata
    So, for PvP, does tanking in the main month long Season pvp, losing a bunch of matches there, put you in an easier bracket when you start your next short PvP? It used to be you could tank for a while there, losing a bunch, then when you started a short PvP you'd face easier opponents up until 400-600 points. I'm guessing that no longer works like that?
    That's correct. The matchmaking used to work based on numbers of wins and losses, but now I understand that it's based completely on roster level. "Tanking" now just means that you score lowly in the the last few consecutive events, so you get allocated into a noob bracket where it's easier to get good placement. Number of losses doesn't get factored into it.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Ahhh good ol tanking.

Play PvP exclusively for like 23 seasons, then do my first PvE event. First place.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Blahahah wrote:
    Ahhh good ol tanking.

Play PvP exclusively for like 23 seasons, then do my first PvE event. First place.

That's some serious tanking right there icon_lol.gif

As others have noted, the only "tanking" now is not playing. Which can be a very expensive way to win.

But if you HATE PVE (a very logical hate to have, heh), and can very selectively pick and choose events to enter, like 1 every 2 months or so, you can do quite well with reduced effort.

You're just passing up a lot of resources in all the events you skip.

But oh well. I'm not playing PVE beyond (very) casual farming right now, and life has gone on.

The guy in 2nd has a level 70 roster.

I didn't just tank, I full on Megatank, Advance Wars style
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    So in my case what I'm experiencing is total annihilation after about 750pts. I drop shield and enter a fight to find I've lost 100+ points.
    I used to be able to hit 1000 points with relative ease ,now its seemingly impossible.
    I reached 980 points in nefarious foes recently entered a match worth 30 points won within 50ish seconds only to find I was at about 700ish points.
    .... **** no problem there are a couple matches worth 70 points lined up ... win another but end up losing another 100 points in the process, and on and on.
    I'm worried that when the 4* reward that I desperately "need" comes up I'm going to be really disappointed and frustrated that I can't get it.
    Would tanking until that reward (4* Deadpool black or purple) comes up be beneficial at all?

I have 30 star.pngstar.pngstar.png champions
    3 star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png champions icon_redhulk.pngicon_ironman.pngicon_cyclops.png
    All the 5 stars but none really usable yet (for pvp)
  • Chrono_Tata
    evade420 wrote:
    So in my case what I'm experiencing is total annihilation after about 750pts. I drop shield and enter a fight to find I've lost 100+ points.
    I used to be able to hit 1000 points with relative ease ,now its seemingly impossible.
    I reached 980 points in nefarious foes recently entered a match worth 30 points won within 50ish seconds only to find I was at about 700ish points.
    .... **** no problem there are a couple matches worth 70 points lined up ... win another but end up losing another 100 points in the process, and on and on.
    I'm worried that when the 4* reward that I desperately "need" comes up I'm going to be really disappointed and frustrated that I can't get it.
    Would tanking until that reward (4* Deadpool black or purple) comes up be beneficial at all?

3 star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png champions icon_redhulk.pngicon_ironman.pngicon_cyclops.png
    Maybe try joining a different time slice. Certain slices are quite inactive and thus have less points available.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Lots odd good advice in here!

Also, no, PvP Tanking no longer works, as in the win / loss ratio.
  • Natsufan01
    evade420 wrote:

Deadpool black coming very soon as 1k reward. 4th event of current season. Try the 4th time slice. Your placement will be ****, but people score upwards of 3500 points, so there's lots of points available to hit 1k, and if you have champed 4s, you are often not the target that is juiciest. I think timing might work out to have redhulk be boosted for that event too. Good luck!
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks I'm going to try that, I usually take s1 or 2.
    My normal strategy is start the event on the first day and climb to 650ish then shield for 24hrs, break shield after about 20hrs and go to 1k if I can or go to 850. And 24hr shield again.
  • Natsufan01
    evade420 wrote:
    Thanks I'm going to try that, I usually take s1 or 2.
    My normal strategy is start the event on the first day and climb to 650ish then shield for 24hrs, break shield after about 20hrs and go to 1k if I can or go to 850. And 24hr shield again.

I don't start until about 24 hrs left. Let the slice get a bunch of points tjat way. Then I climb to around 500 and float. With champed 4s, especially boosted rulk, that's easy. About 10 hrs left I climb from 5 to 900 and 8 hr shield. Then with about 2 hrs left, find some cupcakes, break to hit 3, and 3 hr shield. There's an easy 1k. Usually get high enough that I can queue up some more cupcakes and break at end to take a shot at 1.3k
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've heard tanking pvp only works if you basically take a couple seasons off, which is way more resources than I want to give up. tanking pve takes 2 events or so. and you can get 2 events in noob brackets if you work it right. that will all probably change when clearance levels are released - might get screwed up later today. but I'm trying to do one more tank cycle before it dies. I just can't sustain hours of pve per day any more. tanking helped me make 1st for 3 rulk covers and an easy t10 for 3 howard covers. wish I'd have found it sooner, but I consistently had a high level of resource production for a long stretch. now I'm gimping myself a little but need breaks every once in a while anyway and RL dictates some tanking too, so instead of just not playing, tanking gives it some purpose.