Matchmaking ratings tied to covers?

Kavel
Kavel Posts: 85
Are PVP/Tourney matchmaking ratings tied to the user or the covers being used? For example, I've got an "A-Team" that I'm using in the Free-For-All Tournament and doing fairly well. I think that is giving me a fairly steep lineup of opponents if I try to duck into the lightning round. Therefore, even to participate briefly in the lightning tournaments, I've either got to put wear and tear on my "A-Team," reducing the efforts I can put into the Free-For-All tournament, or try to field a B-Team for the lightning round. I actually would enjoy building a B-Team on the side and learning strategies for new covers, but those covers are nowhere near the levels of my A-Team. It would be great if my lightning tourney opponents were matched based on the strength of the covers I was using.

I guess since you pick an opponent before you pick your team in the current system, that wouldn't work. But hey, it would be nice!

Comments

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    Matchmaking is based off your overall past performance across all Tourneys. So generally, yes, you'll have to decide whether to put wear on your A-team or not. Anecdotally (haven't dug into the numbers), I do see a few people every Tourney going the B-Team route, so it's not unheard of. The upside is that the defensive team is on a per Tourney basis, so you won't have your B-Team defending in your FFA Tourney if you attack with it in the Lightning Rounds.
  • Kavel
    Kavel Posts: 85
    IceIX wrote:
    The upside is that the defensive team is on a per Tourney basis, so you won't have your B-Team defending in your FFA Tourney if you attack with it in the Lightning Rounds.

That's a great little nugget to know. Makes perfect sense given the forced characters in some tourneys, but thanks for the clarification!
  • It's difficult when you want to use a new character while building the cover up, but you can't because all your other characters are high level thus all the potential opponents in tourneys are too dangerous to use a low level character. You're forced to use your old characters to gather ISO for building the new one, which can take a while, or go back into the single player missions and use your new character there (for 20 ISO per battle).

Rather than tie matchmaking to active covers, I'd much rather have some tournaments feature level caps.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Matchmaking is based off your overall past performance across all Tourneys. So generally, yes, you'll have to decide whether to put wear on your A-team or not. Anecdotally (haven't dug into the numbers), I do see a few people every Tourney going the B-Team route, so it's not unheard of. The upside is that the defensive team is on a per Tourney basis, so you won't have your B-Team defending in your FFA Tourney if you attack with it in the Lightning Rounds.

Can you explain this further? Why would it matter if you go B-Team route if you're competing all the players in the world? This should only matter for tourneys which are bracketed right?
  • I agree that there should be a way to use our lower level characters against equal opponents.

Right now I am stockpiling ISO because it doesn't make sense to level up my low level characters. Unless I can upgrade them straight past at least 40 or they get a boost in a particular tournament, I won't be able to use them anyway.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    Sooty wrote:
    Can you explain this further? Why would it matter if you go B-Team route if you're competing all the players in the world? This should only matter for tourneys which are bracketed right?
    People will play their A-Team in the current FFA Tourney and run B-Teams in the Lightning Rounds. That way they'll still pull some points out of the Lightning Rounds but stay as competitive as possible in the FFA.