Werewolves could use a cost reduction

Options
Upstartes
Upstartes Posts: 98
In paper magic, I have come to love werewolves. In that game, most of them are pretty cheap to cast, and in all cases, when they transform, they become something that is definitely better than you can get for a similar casting cost. As such, a werewolf deck plays fast.

In MtGPQ, it seems like most of the werewolves are fairly expensive. And when they transform, it seems like they are only about as good as comparable cards of the same price (or worse, I'd argue, for a few). The Village Messenger is an exception, but the green werewolves especially seem super expensive and slow for what they are.

This is not a huge priority, but I was kind of looking forward to playing a green werewolves & wolves deck in MtGPQ. As it stands now, green werewolves seem unviable, and that's disappointing.

Comments

• Irving
    Irving Posts: 95
    Options
    All the transform cards have a hidden downside, too, in that you often don't want multiples (when there are already 3 creatures on the board). It can be a fun strategic puzzle to work around, but it is a drawback to the creature that doesn't feel like it's taken into account in costing.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Upstartes wrote:
    In paper magic, I have come to love werewolves. In that game, most of them are pretty cheap to cast, and in all cases, when they transform, they become something that is definitely better than you can get for a similar casting cost. As such, a werewolf deck plays fast.

In MtGPQ, it seems like most of the werewolves are fairly expensive. And when they transform, it seems like they are only about as good as comparable cards of the same price (or worse, I'd argue, for a few). The Village Messenger is an exception, but the green werewolves especially seem super expensive and slow for what they are.

This is not a huge priority, but I was kind of looking forward to playing a green werewolves & wolves deck in MtGPQ. As it stands now, green werewolves seem unviable, and that's disappointing.
    There aren't that many green werewolves to begin with... which is part of the problem. Also, have you tried using Strider Harness (from Oath of the Gatewatch; +1/+1 and haste to first creature) alongside werewolves to speed up their transformations? Think part of the reason why Village Messenger is so good is the fact that it can transform immediately after being played... due to haste?
  • Upstartes
    Options
    I'm not sure why Village Messenger transforms immediately. I've been assuming that it is a bug.
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    Upstartes wrote:
    I'm not sure why Village Messenger transforms immediately. I've been assuming that it is a bug.
    Definitely a bug. There are a lot of issues with transform triggers. Opponent plays one card, on of my werewolves transforms back to human, the other doesn't. One time a werewolf transforned back to human when my opponent didn't play anything and one time it transformed to werewolf when he played one support.