Offseason is a different beast, rewards should reflect this.

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Another off-season, another x-23 1k cover that is much MUCH harder to get than any in-season reward.

There is no reason that people building x-23 should be penalized relative to those building xfw (the previous 1k cover for category 5). The last three off season covers have been x-23, rulk, and quake (and x-23 has been off season her last two times up). 1k covers are the easiest fixed 4* rewards to get. It's pretty painful for transitioners whan strong 4*s keep getting **** with off season 1k covers.

800 in the off-season is harder than 1k in-season.

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mean, this is where I thank (yet again) the hoppers that go well beyond 1300 for seeding slices with points.

But also - this is where I caution anyone who thinks 4* PVP would be fun...basically all I see is OML + max/boosted Rulk + max/boosted Carnage. I mean, sometimes that third one is KP or another 5*...but really it doesn't matter, you are looking at three 30K+ health point characters and little chance of escaping any match without a ton of damage taken.

One problem here is no "great" rewards so no high point players.
    Another problem here is -miserable- match-ups, so less people want to play.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Another off-season, another x-23 1k cover that is much MUCH harder to get than any in-season reward.

There is no reason that people building x-23 should be penalized relative to those building xfw (the previous 1k cover for category 5). The last three off season covers have been x-23, rulk, and quake (and x-23 has been off season her last two times up). 1k covers are the easiest fixed 4* rewards to get. It's pretty painful for transitioners whan strong 4*s keep getting **** with off season 1k covers.

800 in the off-season is harder than 1k in-season.

Someone has to be the off-season reward, and that someone (even if it's Cho or Invisible Woman) is going to be someone that someone is collecting. The only way I see of making it more fair without relying on the subjective labeling of strong/weak characters is to treat it like 2K in Shield SIM and make the covers either the last 2 4 stars released or the last 2 that were placed in Legendary tokens.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Progression should be lower in off-season events, since most people only play to around 500 points and then give up, so it's hard to score very much when all of your opponents are only worth around 20 points.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2016
    Hodayathink:

I don't think it's too hard to identify the best 4is and keep them out of the offseason, nor is it too hard to identify the weaker 4*s to use as low value rewards (a la mostorm showing up all the time as the off-season 3* reward). But there is an even simpler solution that obviates any concerns about subjectivity.

Just introduce a different reward structure for off-season. 750 or 800 points for a 4* cover and problem solved! (at least this particular problem. Plenty of other ones still lurking elswhere in mpq!)
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    1k isn't hard in off season, unless its balance of power. Nobody plays that.

1300 requires S4 or a good BC because a lot of people will free fall after hitting the CP.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Hodayathink:

I don't think it's too hard to identify the best 4is and keep them out of the offseason, nor is it too hard to identify the weaker 4*s to use as low value rewards (a la mostorm showing up all the time as the off-season 3* reward). But there is an even simply solution that obviates any concerns about subjectivity.

Just introduce a different reward structure for off-season. 750 or 800 points for a 4* cover and problem solved! (at least this particular problem. Plenty of other ones still lurking elswhere in mpq!)

I didn't say it was hard. I said it was subjective. For example, you have to decide what the break point is. Do you just keep out the top 3? Top 5? Top 10? And just that simple step makes it subjective (I think most can agree on which ones are weak and which ones are strong, but definitive rankings within that are definitely subjective). And then there's my biggest problem with the idea, and probably my biggest problem with this forum in general, which is the assumption that most people playing this game are playing specifically to collect the strongest characters. So if I'm a huge Fantastic 4 fan and looking to collect covers for all of them, those covers should be placed in harder to reach progressions because Susan and Reed have been deemed weak characters?

Edit: And the better way to solve this isn't necessarily to lower progression, but to give people more incentive to play off-season PvP. Lowering progression could be one way to do that, but there are other ways as well.
  • Bossblack
    Bossblack Posts: 80 Match Maker
    1K is not hard at all. I find climbing early makes a difference. Once you have past certain points (for me around 500) in the fist few hours that you start seeing "seal teams" that mmr will match you with any team. It will be easy to climb to 8-900 and put up one # you can get 1K easy.

As this is an off season, like some other said, people will hit 1.3K then free fall so it's best to start early as if you climb in the last few hours there are really not a lot of the high point targets.