What is your back up game?

chaos01
chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
This part of a post from fight intrigued me because I am a one trick pony on my iPhone playing basically only MPQ (Also, I recommend having a spare go-to game for times when you feel content or progress is lacking.)

So what are some back up games that I should try?

Comments

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a great one called, "Remodel the hall bathroom". It's actually productive, and has tons of gameplay and side quests.

Not sure about the replay value tho.

I hear there's a sequel planned, tentatively called, "Remodel the master bathroom", and possible numerous spinoffs.

Yeah, usually once the original comes out and performs well, the sequels get greenlit and put into production fairly quickly. That's usually the case when such productions are inspired by IKEA, HGTV and Pintrest. icon_razz.gif
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I took an inverse direction from OP. This season I decided that I would no longer play MPQ when I had other viable options. That is, when my PC and/or PS4 were available to me, I would play those instead. Not only have I become much happier getting to those games that I've been putting off, I enjoy MPQ a whole hell of a lot more, too.

To go in the same direction as OP, FTL remains one of the finest games I've played in the last decade. Maybe one of the best games I've played, period. I cannot recommend it enough, especially if you're not one of these sissies that complains that games are hard. Because it's hard.
  • Lately I've been playing through the dark souls series.

Now it's a million miles away from MPQ but I've never played through them before, because I was put off by the difficulty. It's not actually that hard.

Seen FFVII is now on Android so I'll probably replay that at some point as well icon_e_smile.gif
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I've been playing the dozen or so games I backed on Kickstarter that have just been gathering dust on my desktop.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    For a while it was Hearthstone. Throw in some FTL and Don't Starve for good measure. I played Adventure Time Card Wars for a while and MTG:PQ for even less. I just recently got Elite: Dangerous for the PC. Now I can fly my spaceship around AND finish a few battles in MPQ.

What I really should be doing is taking a queue from this thread: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49449
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    clownstyle wrote:
    Lately I've been playing through the dark souls series.

Dark Souls/Bloodborne are effing incredible. I played the **** out of all of them. Just wish the PVP was hashed out a bit better.

To the OP's question, I played Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes briefly. Holy smokes, if you guys think MPQ ever looks like a cash grab...

Severed was pretty good on mobile as well. It's also like 5 bucks and then you just, like, own the game. No getting nickel-and-dimed with in app purchases every ten minutes.

Recently I've been replaying XCOM 2, this time with a whole slew of mods - they eliminate the "you can win but only barely" level of difficulty but they're pretty fun.
  • CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Its my first time writing in the forum as i trolled it for the past 648 days of MPQ play. Season XXX just ended, and Web wonder PVE is only playable in the next 12 hours and Nefarious Foes is almost the same (my preferred time).
    My back up game is Clash Royale and currently at Arena 7.
    The other one is COC..which my town hall was just upgraded to level 8.
    Also playing NBA2k15 with my brother if totally no phone games. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    None. MPQ is my only one.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since I'm playing on Steam I have a library that has 500+ games.

Ran through Skyrim, latest arkham game, Diablo 3 recently. Trine 3 is up now that I've run PVE deep enough.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like RPGs, so I have khux and ffbe. I just saw there's another f2p ff out called mobius ff, so I've downloaded that, but I haven't started it yet. Also I downloaded One Piece Treasure Cruise, but I haven't started that one either.

Some day...
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor

Oh man, that's no good. The existence, event schedule, and availability of online/mobile games like MPQ are always beyond the player's control. Don't let it become your only thing, much less let it disrupt your professional life, social life, exercise regimen, other hobbies, etc. One day there will be life after MPQ ... your roster will just go poof. Either by your own choice, the collapse of the developer, collapse of its revenue stream, whatever.

Not saying you have, but others have let MPQ (or other games) take over, and given up too much in pursuit of MPQ "glory", and after, have nothing to show for it, but the personal, social, a/o professional losses. Enjoy it day to day, don't take it seriously, don't assume it will be here tomorrow.

Just kidding icon_e_biggrin.gif MGS 2-4, Dark Souls, Minecraft, Logo quiz, Sudokus, UNO, Remember me, Final Fantasies, Duel Masters, Mastermind etc
  • bpcontra
    bpcontra Posts: 176
    Super Stickman Golf 3
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    The paygate for the Remodel game is way too high for me.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    80 Days is a good mobile game with a good amount of replayability. It's like a choose your own adventure version of Around the World in 80 Days.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Pokemon go. It is incredibly addictive. Also they made some updates to it so that it's easier to catch rare pokemon.

Also you get that nice vitamin D spending time outside for a while.
  • ZommyGD
    ZommyGD Posts: 79 Match Maker
    I play MtGPQ as casually ( or as seriously ) as MPQ.
    Used to play Spider-Man Unlimited from Gameloft, but had deleted it.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    80 Days is a good mobile game with a good amount of replayability. It's like a choose your own adventure version of Around the World in 80 Days.

All of Inkle's stuff is great. If you're a fan of the Sorcery! Fighting Fantasy books from the 80s, their adaptations/reinventions are truly something spectacular to behold.

There are SO MANY amazing games on smartphones and tablets. I urge everyone here to grab the TouchArcade and AppShopper apps, get browsing, and take a punt on something different.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    I play MPQ on my PC, so... Arma 3, King of the Hill mode.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    madsalad wrote:
    The paygate for the Remodel game is way too high for me.

The introductory model, "Demolition", is F2P. All other content is strictly DLC, and increasingly "freemium".

After the remodel game (does it ever end?), I'm really looking forward to Civilization 6. Never been an early adopter on a Civ, this could be the one I take the dive into!

I early adopted Civ 4 & 5 (and picked up expansions for both along the way) - and generally a regular Civ player for a long time. Civ 6 is looking set to have an incredible start, given that they're keeping a lot of the updated/expanded mechanics from 5+ in the launch product. I'm also very interested in the new take on "de-stacking" the cities. I tend to play science/culture Civs with 2-3 strong cities that feed into each other, and generally have a hard time against aggressive military expansionists that use city spam to block off land. I hope that this changes that, at least a little - city spam still likely valid but keeping them within 2 spaces is going to limit their usefulness moreso than now.
  • Marvel patience quest is the only game I play now, I used to be a clash of clans addict and farmed a max account over 3 years and I sold that account for $1200. MPQ will never have that kinda value.