Am I the only one that has a problem with this?

TKMINC
TKMINC Posts: 5
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I have been playing this game for a few months now and have spent way more money on it than a sane person should.
My problem is, I have been trying to upgrade my characters and I keep getting the same covers over and over and the upgrades that I want at the time seem to not exist or at least until the game makers put them in a story. It's the same situation in each of categories that we recruit from. I spend my coins and get the same covers over and over. The standard covers really need upgrading. Those are either neglected or not a concern of yours. When I do see an opportunity to get a cover that I want (because I can see it available in one of the vaults), I have to hope I get lucky when I tap the Cerebro eye that it will be one of my selections. I am sick and tired of the slot machine style of getting covers. The Cerebro thing is cute but I see that as a way to make the game makers more money as it is like playing a slot machine. That is not a problem if a person is willing to spend but I think is should be fair. I don't need covers of characters that are full. I don't need covers of one's I already have and can not use (except for the Iso value). I would like to be able to play for an upgrade cover and/or purchase it without having to spend over $100 to get CP built up so I can use them to get extra power. The CP should only be used for getting those Legend covers. If I have to use CP to buy a power-up, the progression should be 5cp for 1 star, 10cp for 2 star, 15 cp for 3 star, 20 cp for 4 star and 25 cp for 5 star and Legend covers.

As far as the "RESOURCES" go, In my opinion, they are way to expensive for the little amount of coins and Iso you get. Especially the Iso. How can I fully upgrade the characters I need when after a certain point the "Train" points start to double and triple? I have a few characters now that need almost 100,000 Iso to be full and then (maybe) use some more Iso to "Promote" them if I can. You should add more to the Iso amounts and round up the coin amounts to even numbers i.e. 5000 for $19.99 instead of 2900, 10,000 for $49.99 instead of 8500, 50,000 for $99.99 instead of 20,000 for the coins and the same for the Iso. The way it is now is a rip off and I feel that you game makers know this.

I really like this game or else I would not have spent as much money on it as I have so far. But, I really believe you all should make things a bit more fair. I do not fault you for trying to make as much money as possible but at some point, the way you have it now is just greedy.

Comments

• spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Welcome to mpq. You wont be the first nor last to complain about both randomness and difficulty of cover acquisation and also cost of purchasing resources. I suggest you head over to the tips and help section of the forum and read as much as you can before making any additional purchases. Furthermore, you should never spend money on iso
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Welcome to forums, where every single person's first post is a clone of what you just said.

You now have two choices. Live with a slower pace of play, or decide to become a whale and buy your way out of your frustrations. $20,000 later, you will realize it will never happen, and you will not be the first down this road.

MPQ is mostly a good game, but it is not a fair one, and no matter how much money you spend on the game, you will always, always, always bemoan the cynicism behind the design of the game's progression system. Better to just go free-to-play and find your enjoyment in the actual gameplay, which is the part of the game that has merit anyway.

Then you can complain about scaling like everyone else on the forums.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    MPQ is mostly a good game, but it is not a fair one, and no matter how much money you spend on the game, you will always, always, always bemoan the cynicism behind the design of the game's progression system. Better to just go free-to-play and find your enjoyment in the actual gameplay, which is the part of the game that has merit anyway.

Then you can complain about scaling like everyone else on the forums.

icon_lol.gif How do we emblazon this on every single page of this forum?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ordinarily, I'd post a witty dig at how these are the same issues literally everyone has, but your post count indicates you haven't been around here much, so nah.

Yeah, there's a lot of randomness. If you really hate that aspect, you now have to choose whether to just get out now, or go down the sunk-cost-fallacy route and try to justify the coin you've already spent.

Since the game can be a lot of fun, I'd recommend reading some of the guides, perusing the character threads and what have you. Get a feel for which characters you want and how fast you want to progress. Pro tip, hulking out your roster off the bat is not a good idea. Take it from a guy that made that mistake (Me. I mean me.)

Also, the exorbitant price of ISO is a well-known and oft-griped-about issue. Just don't buy it.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    If you buy, you support the game and demonstrate their design is working. If you don't, you demonstrate their design is not working. Its as simple as that.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Before cp came about you could buy covers with hp. It was pretty expensive but it was possible to do.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    The whole game is a slot machine. Different aspects of it spin the slot machine slower or faster. Matches are a slot machine pull either giving you a win or a lost. You can choose your characters, but really many of it depends on luck, how the board is set up, how your random cascade drops go. Many say the strategy is on picking your characters, yet the characters that are available to you are again a slot machine pull.

Really there is very little strategy and choice in this game. But it shows how addictive gambling can be and what 15% really means. Everyone thinks, they will beat the odds, but the reality of it is that you will likely be below the 15% and that is still fine because some other new player that you don't know (and in many cases have not even heard of) may have a higher percentage and thus it evens out to 15%.

It is so frustrating when someone who plays significantly less than you can have a better roster than you simply through luck alone. If there were true multiplayer in this game, i wouldn't be surprised that some of the better roster players aren't as good as their rosters say they are.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    dsds wrote:
    Really there is very little strategy and choice in this game.

I have to disagree with this. I concur that the covers you get are basically a pull on a slot machine. Players have very little control once they push the claim button. The vaults can be gamed to some extent if you're patient enough to hoard, but by and large you're looking at scarce odds.

But no strategy? There's a lot of strategy, if you have a deep roster. I'm a mostly 3* player, but with almost all of them champed I have options. Color complements and power synergy are an important part of the game. You don't just pick your best three. Choosing a lower powered booster or tile generator is far more valuable than a 2nd tank. If you know you're facing characters with a propensity to generate shield tiles, you can bring along someone to negate them. When planning your defense, niche characters like Doc Ock or Squirrel Girl can be spoilers against dominant strategies. Healers like spiderman and KK will give your opponents headaches.

There is quite a bit of strategy to be had, but it does require you to have a diverse roster. If you only focus on a single team you have no options, and no strategy.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:
    dsds wrote:
    Really there is very little strategy and choice in this game.

I have to disagree with this. I concur that the covers you get are basically a pull on a slot machine. Players have very little control once they push the claim button. The vaults can be gamed to some extent if you're patient enough to hoard, but by and large you're looking at scarce odds.

But no strategy? There's a lot of strategy, if you have a deep roster. I'm a mostly 3* player, but with almost all of them champed I have options. Color complements and power synergy are an important part of the game. You don't just pick your best three. Choosing a lower powered booster or tile generator is far more valuable than a 2nd tank. If you know you're facing characters with a propensity to generate shield tiles, you can bring along someone to negate them. When planning your defense, niche characters like Doc Ock or Squirrel Girl can be spoilers against dominant strategies. Healers like spiderman and KK will give your opponents headaches.

There is quite a bit of strategy to be had, but it does require you to have a diverse roster. If you only focus on a single team you have no options, and no strategy.

There's also skill in matching tiles as well. When I first started I was getting blasted because I matched tiles that gave my opponent match-4s and match-5s. Then I learned that whoever matches the tile plays defense for that round, so I could put my tank in front of incoming attacks. Then I learned that you could match tiles that would cause a cascade that would get you some nice AP. There's a lot of nuance or it wouldn't have lasted as long as it has.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Apparently the developers feel that players prefer the borderline gambling system instead of being able to directly purchase covers.

As has already been stated tokens pulls are random, you have three choices now.

1. Accept this system, keep spending and hope you beat the odds.
    2. Accept this system, stop spending and hope you beat the odds but at a much slower rate.
    3. Cut your losses and get the hell out of Dodge before it's too late.

There is of course the option to spend an obscene amount and hope to sheer brute force your way to getting the character covers you want but unless you are a prince from the Emirates but this isn't a very realistic option.

If you go down the free to play route then the time/reward ratio is really quite poor and you will find yourself hating the game but still unable to quit because of the time you have spent on it.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    TKMINC wrote:
    When I do see an opportunity to get a cover that I want (because I can see it available in one of the vaults), I have to hope I get lucky when I tap the Cerebro eye that it will be one of my selections. I am sick and tired of the slot machine style of getting covers. The Cerebro thing is cute but I see that as a way to make the game makers more money as it is like playing a slot machine.

The vault icons that you see flashing past have nothing to do with the actual cover you pull, just FYI. Doesn't matter when you tap it, it's fully randomised. The animation is just for show.