Changing planeswalkers when re-entering nodes

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Up until recently, in a PvP event, when you entered a node, your opponent and his planeswalker were selected for you and fixed. If you left the node and re-entered, you'd get the same opponent and planeswalker. I liked this, it meant you could go and swap cards in and out of your deck that might help you in your battle. An extra little degree of strategy to the game. Sometimes I'd even completely rebuild my decks.

Now, every time you leave a node and re-enter it , you are given a random opponent and planeswalker. This, I don't like so much. It's taken away that deck building element that I love, and worse than that, it can be abused by players who keep leaving the node and re-entering until they get an opponent they think they can beat... it even tells you the score of the opponent so you can tell how good he's doing in the round.

How does everyone else feel about this?

There was one aspect of the old system I didn't like so much, which was that, being random, if you were forced to play against an unusually high number of Kiora decks full of rares and mythics, you'd probably do worse in the Event overall than someone who fought less of these, through no fault of your own.

A fix I might suggest to that problem would be to use a system similar to the Swiss Pairing system used in MTG tournaments:

https://www.wizards.com/dci/downloads/S ... irings.pdf

In a Swiss tournament, each player is ranked every round against a player they have not played before who has roughly the same number of wins and losses as they do. Winning players play against progressively better decks; but players who have lost get to play against other players who have lost the same amount as they have.

Comments

• Rootbreaker
    Options
    I'm assuming it's a bug, but maybe it's a bug fix. It'd be nice to know one way or the other which way it's supposed to work.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Maybe it's a temporary bandaid fix so people can choose not to play against red walkers.

I know I'm avoiding Chandra like a plague.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I like it a lot. it allows me to change opponent as soon as I see Im matched with overpowered characters koth, avoid players with levels too high and avoid the likelihood how facing gae''s revenge for instance.
    this a good strategy for ppl with inferior collection like me and with low level pws. the current system does match you with players 12+ more level than you are and there is no fairness in that. I like it the way it is now
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I liked it initially as you could avoid those nasty Koth's and Chandra's. Now I'm wondering if it's to easy to abuse and fight only lower level players.
    Ive lost 2 matches one legitimately vs a Lilly lockdown and one because I exited the app mid game to take a photo and the app restarted,. I'm currently ranked 123 on 18 points.
    Being able to pick and choose may mean we have a lot more people tied on the top points with few or no losses
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It is useful and i'd say necessary until they change the red pw bug. It does give an opportunity to chose easier opponent which will result in a lot of ties.

All People in a tier are supposed to have decks of that difficulty level. So that even backing out and choosing a different opponent does not give you a cop out. But to get to a certain tier you only have to master one of the five colors to that tier level. A person may have a killer deck for one color or pw but a pretty average deck for others with lower level pws.

Maybe we should only be able to face pws of the strongest color in which the person has reached platinum tier?

Also when the PvP event started i expected my opponents to be of the same color as the node in which i was fighting. That might be interesting as it would somewhat ensure that we dont have to face OP kiora decks with our mono colored pws.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'be been facing some powerful decks that I have no reliable answer in my entire collection. you don't want to be stuck with a Pw that will prevent you from progressing or make it extremely difficult in events. this is why changing opponent is also essential
  • Shadow_Wraith
    Options
    It would be interesting to have your opponent the same color as the node. Adds a power struggle for gems though it is also a nice challenge to go against different color PW too. I could go both ways but it would definitely be interesting.
  • paralistalon
    Options
    I think the ability to cherry-pick which planeswalkers you are matched against is a horrible idea. We all know that some planeswalkers are just far better than others, and in addition to this fact, you know that if you choose to fight against a Kiora or Nahiri deck, you're facing someone with more card resources, on average, than a random starting planeswalker. You can also avoid "problem colors" against the deck strategy you want to use. Are you playing with Koth? Avoid other Koths so you're not competing over red matches. Are you playing a Sigil of the Empty Throne deck? Avoid green and red decks because almost everyone includes Conclave Naturalists and Demolish.