PVE Bracket tanking

Meander
Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Just wanted to get a gauge on everyone's take on tanking. Do you do it or not? Why? Let me know if I missed any poll options
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    CP is life. I don't snipe or tank anything because I can't afford to miss out on the CP rewards.

Even in release events I can usually merc my way into a T100 alliance for that release cover even if I don't make T100 in a competitive bracket.

Also, it's incredibly unlikely that any new release character will be so game changing that the additional covers I get by sniping would make a bit of difference in getting them to a point where they add value to my roster.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've tanked once (and it was recently) and it was solely due to burnout and some RL items that I knew were going to make it hard, so I tanked a few events. jumped back into it for the current heroic and should get another noob for the one after (hopefully the release). have to balance 4x farming for cp vs playing to t50 for hp to avoid the burnout. when burnout happens, take 2-3 off and get a couple of noob events that t10 is easy. not sure how often i'll do it, but this break was needed.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Will tanking one do anything noticeable, I've been dropping significantly in placement since they introduced the new system (t20 down to t150) . And really don't want to miss a new charater release, which I'm assuming will be simulator. If I just tank venom heroic will I stand a chance in the next event?
  • Meander
    Reports vary, but it seems like you have to tank multiple to be put back into newb brackets. That being said, if you weren't going to play it anyway, might as well tank it.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    by tank I mean I finished 950s+. I just needed a break. if you slack and finish 400s or 500s, don't think it works. and it takes multiple events. reports vary between 2 and 3 events. my one time I tanked it took 2 events.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does simply not even playing an event work for tanking or do you have to join and be in 900's to tank? I ask because when I get burnout I do usually skip a couple of PvE events but when I re-join I never seem to be in a noob bracket. Of course I completely skip the events and don't even join so does that work against me and would I be better to join and just not play?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have skipped some Heroic's because if I didn't I might have thrown my phone. Overall I don't skip PVE becuase I want the CP and ISO. Also since I only play for the CP once I have gotten all the CP I stop playing the harder nodes so I drop out of big placement. So in essence I play for the CP then tank the PVE all at the same time
  • Meander
    For sake of arguement, and because its a common reoccurring question amongst responses, lets define tanking. What I associate with tanking is joining a bracket and not playing at all, resulting in the lowest possible ranking. Not playing by not entering the event at all doesn't work from my understanding, because it doesn't register the 0, just shows no data. You need to actively register a 0.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meander wrote:
    For sake of arguement, and because its a common reoccurring question amongst responses, lets define tanking. What I associate with tanking is joining a bracket and not playing at all, resulting in the lowest possible ranking. Not playing by not entering the event at all doesn't work from my understanding, because it doesn't register the 0, just shows no data. You need to actively register a 0.
    Yup, that's how it works.
    Sitting out an event doesn't help.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Meander wrote:
    Yup, that's how it works.
    Sitting out an event doesn't help.

You sure about that?

I went on vacation from July 29-Aug 9 (12 days) in another country where I had no data plan for my phone so I could only play via WiFi. As a result of that I only did DDQ for those days and missed 2 PvE events entirely (Hulk and the one proceeding it) + the PvP events.

My first 2 PvE events I came back and played I was put in noob brackets as I was able to place T10 for first time ever despite not even hitting progression in one of them! Now I am back in a bracket for the current Venom Heroic where I recognize a lot of familiar names and I will finish 50-100 where I normally do.

The same goes for my PvP experience. The first one I played after returning I ended up around 50th and I only scored something like 400 points (my normal PvP score with my roster). Now I appear to be back to the 150-200 spot where I normally am.

It seems to me just by doing DDQ it was enough for the game to register me as not scoring high in those events.

KGB
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm going with "No, because I don't care enough to find out how to do that".

Bracket sniping requires effort outside the game. I barely have enough time to play the game. I'm not in a position to optimize the meta.

I aim to collect all the CP and make final progression. CP is the primary goal. Iso collected along the way is extremely helpful. I've got no shot at T10 so I'm out of the running for a guaranteed 4*. 3* rewards are nice for progressing champs, but have no noticeable impact until I accrue 16 of them, so the rewards are a drop in the bucket. If I place well the bonus Iso and HP are helpful, but not something I'd purposely tank to acquire.
  • Calnexin wrote:

Bracket sniping requires effort outside the game. I barely have enough time to play the game. I'm not in a position to optimize the meta.

I aim to collect all the CP and make final progression. CP is the primary goal. Iso collected along the way is extremely helpful. I've got no shot at T10 so I'm out of the running for a guaranteed 4*. 3* rewards are nice for progressing champs, but have no noticeable impact until I accrue 16 of them, so the rewards are a drop in the bucket. If I place well the bonus Iso and HP are helpful, but not something I'd purposely tank to acquire.

Do you use CP for leveling, or only for Legendary Packs? I have over 200 accrued, along with about 180k in iso. I'm not sure if I should be using my CP to level my 3 stars or not.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    darcdante wrote:
    Calnexin wrote:

Do you use CP for leveling, or only for Legendary Packs? I have over 200 accrued, along with about 180k in iso. I'm not sure if I should be using my CP to level my 3 stars or not.
    CP shouldn't be used on 3* characters unless you're 5/2/5 on someone like Iron Fist who is tip-top tier and that 13th cover isn't coming in DDQ anytime soon. I used CP to finish Cage and Fist (20 each), and I don't regret it, but I would never spend CP on someone even like KK because the covers will come and only the top tier 3*s will ultimately be game-breaking for progressing. CP needs to be used to advance 4* and 5* characters.

Back on topic, if I'm going to play events at all, I'm going to start at the beginning and at least make sure I hit top progression. You miss too much otherwise.