New art on Prologue missions?

cooperbigdaddy
cooperbigdaddy Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Has anyone else noticed the new art on a couple of the Prologue mission beginnings? I've collected all the rewards from the Prologue, but I'm wondering if this is prefacing something coming for a new Prologue of sorts?

Has this been a thing and I'm just now seeing it?

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,728 Chairperson of the Boards
    You are right, there is new art on the panels leading to the nodes. Why though....speculation.... Maybe they want to accentuate the 1* characters more as the new SHIELD ranking come online. Perhaps there will be different reward tiers for different events, indicated by the characters featured. Or maybe just to give it a new coat of paint, ala 3* Spidey last year.

I kind of doubt they want to rework the prologue much. It is really meant for newbies, the old grinding notwithstanding.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is new with R107. They updated the art for the shop screen one or two releases ago as well. It's been a while since the UI got any significant overhaul, but with more QoL upgrades (slider in roster screen, drop down in cover sell screen) as well as new additions such as the VIP and help buttons - and the fact that we're steadily approaching the 3 year anniversary - perhaps it could simply be that they've got their asset artist(s) slowly working through to give everything a "fresh" look.

If I could give some feedback, I think they need to take a good look at updating the artwork for Squirrel Girl (it's really just so bad) and fixing 3* Steve Rogers face.
  • bbf2
    bbf2 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Mawtful wrote:

If I could give some feedback, I think they need to take a good look at updating the artwork for Squirrel Girl (it's really just so bad) and fixing 3* Steve Rogers face.

If they're going to change the artwork for someone they need to start with that creepy baby alien snowman
  • drcassino
    drcassino Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Mawtful wrote:

The Squirrel Girl art was based on art provided by the artist of Squirrel Girl, Erica Henderson, who used to work in video game design. It works really well in the comics - who would have thought we'd be more than 20 issues into a Squirrel Girl solo book? - but it's a bit at odds with the character designs of the other characters. It's not that it's bad, it's just that it's jarring.

I agree that Bobby's art is pretty weird, but I re-read the All-New X-Men run recently, and it's in line with the Immonen art from that run: he looks pretty creepy in those comics as well.

In sum, it's not that the art is bad, it's more that they're basing it on artists with wildly varying styles. What they really should do, if they're going to do something, is pick a style and stick with it. Not holding my breath, though.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I happened to get over there the other day and also noticed this.

Made me hopeful that the other chapters will end up over in prologue eventually...something that was bandied about by devs two-ish years ago.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbf2 wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:

If they're going to change the artwork for someone they need to start with that creepy baby alien snowman

At the very least put a bag over his head.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    bbf2 wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:

At the very least put a bag over his head.
    I know he's not so pleasant to look at, but come on... Bag for arguably the best 4*? That honour should be reserved for Cho or Reed icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    I can easily see them turning prologue back on with different shield clearance levels enabled. I think that's a great option for helping people get introduced to the new feature in a simulated environment, instead of having your first exposure to it being a repeat of the Venom Bomb PVE (potentially for rewards you might like to win, but get completely hosed out of because you didn't understand the impact of the decision and joined at the wrong clearance level).