Getting easier to place high?

bpcontra
bpcontra Posts: 176
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi all....let me prefa e this by saying that yes, I understand your abilty to rank high is variable based on which time slot you choose to participate in and generally when you begin playing. I'm on day 569 so I'm not a new player and I'm a pretty regular reader (if not contributor) of the forums.

That being said, both me and my alliance has found it increasingly easier to rank in the top 100 for pretty much any PvP or PvE event lately. I wanted to attribute the change to play styles simply meeting up nicely with the new scoring system but the fact that its happening in PvP makes me think that there is something else going on.

Over the last 2 months, my playing time has dropped considerably but my ranking has not (pick whatever tier you want...theres not much difference in what I've observed).

This makes me wonder if the overall health of the game is doing ok. Are less people playing? Are more experienced players leaving in droves? It used to be that if i didnt clear nodes down to 1, I had very little shot at top 50...or sometimes even 100. Now I rarely clear any node all the way and im placing easily in the top 100 and with a little effort in the top 25-50.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have found it easier to place in PvE and harder to place in PvP. PvP scores that used to be good for top 25 now barely get me top 50.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've found the opposite. 4 clears of each sub of a 3* reward event, under the old system, would guarantee me a top 50 finish. I'm finding under the new system, that largely, not even 5 clears of each sub is getting me top 50.
  • JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    I've run off a streak of four straight Top 10 PVE finishes after two years of only managing it once.

I don't have a firm handle on it, but it feels like there's a sweet spot where the effort from the old scoring yields the same result. Above it and you're doing better, below it and you're doing worse. Feels like it's somewhere between top 11 and top 25.

I would say PVP results are about the same as ever. If you shield somewhere between 700-1000 you stand a chance of top 50. Below that and top 100 gets dicey.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    For me it still boils down to time, and what type of bracket I am placed in. For whatever reason the last 2 out of 3 PVE events placed me with big dogs. High 5* and fully covers 4* rosters. I don't know why that happened because I have had little and time to play. Barely made top 500 consistently because if low play, yet I still was put into vet bracket.
    Now that I have had time I do score higher but not all that high 100-150ish. It does like a more manageable climb with the new system. Casual. If I still had the old grindy ways in me. Yeah I could see me a little higher. But like I said earlier the bracket placement is still broken from inconsistent placement. IMO.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    The new PvE system makes it much easier to finish top 100, but much more difficult to finish top 10.

Top 100 generally takes 4 or 5 clears, so you can do them whenever you want under this new system. It's kind of nice. But top 10 requires about 4 hours of straight grinding around the end/beginning of the next sub.

I also think the very low progression marks make a difference too. A lot of people just stop after getting the 25 cp, so just going a bit higher can really jump you in the rankings.

PvP varies wildly depending on your slice.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    A lot of retiring vets would be my first guess.

I've seen at least 12 vets retire/go casual in last 3 months that makes a big difference to some slices
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    I have found it easier to place in PvE and harder to place in PvP. PvP scores that used to be good for top 25 now barely get me top 50.

Yeah, slightly easier to get top50 in PvE (fot top10 it is still crazy hard), and even harder to place in PvP. I score 1300+ in PvP, and sometimes I don't even get into the top 100. I have to do like 1400 to make sure I am top100. That is crazy :S
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    The new PvE system makes it much easier to finish top 100, but much more difficult to finish top 10.

Top 100 generally takes 4 or 5 clears, so you can do them whenever you want under this new system. It's kind of nice. But top 10 requires about 4 hours of straight grinding around the end/beginning of the next sub.

I also think the very low progression marks make a difference too. A lot of people just stop after getting the 25 cp, so just going a bit higher can really jump you in the rankings.

That has not been my experience in terms of getting top ten at least as it pertains to slice 5. Takes 2 hours at start to get the clock going on all the nodes. Then as long as you take everything to check marks hitting things any time during the day will get you into top ten. Top 5 is a different story and definitely seems like you need to do all the grinding in one sitting. But I've hit three top ten in a row just doing my initial clear and then clears at my leisure during the day. I do wait until the bracket has flipped at least once so usually start my first clear in the afternoon rather than right at 2am EST on the first day.

PVP still seems hit or miss for me. Lately I have just taken to bracket sniping very late in the event, especially if I don't have the essential champed.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    revskip wrote:
    Orion wrote:

That has not been my experience in terms of getting top ten at least as it pertains to slice 5. Takes 2 hours at start to get the clock going on all the nodes. Then as long as you take everything to check marks hitting things any time during the day will get you into top ten. Top 5 is a different story and definitely seems like you need to do all the grinding in one sitting. But I've hit three top ten in a row just doing my initial clear and then clears at my leisure during the day. I do wait until the bracket has flipped at least once so usually start my first clear in the afternoon rather than right at 2am EST on the first day.

PVP still seems hit or miss for me. Lately I have just taken to bracket sniping very late in the event, especially if I don't have the essential champed.

Good to know about PvE. Unfortunately for me, there's no time slice that's convenient for me to get those initial 4 clears when the sub opens. So no top 10s for me.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I've found the opposite. 4 clears of each sub of a 3* reward event, under the old system, would guarantee me a top 50 finish. I'm finding under the new system, that largely, not even 5 clears of each sub is getting me top 50.
    I'm in this situation. PvE used to be easy and fun but now it feels like a lot of work. Used to make T50 easy and now am struggling to get T200. Which is crazy!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me they both feel about the same. The same amount of effort (with less time based scheduling, which is nice) in PvE ranks me between 40-100 somewhere, varies a little per event and per my diligence. PvP I still find it hard to rank under 200 without shielding or scheduling my life around a mobile game...
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in this situation. PvE used to be easy and fun but now it feels like a lot of work. Used to make T50 easy and now am struggling to get T200. Which is crazy!

Yeah, PVE placement requires significantly more work in the new system (and scheduling for optimal clears is only marginally less important as it used to be, in spite of what people seem to claim). I've only gotten a single Top 100 since the test events started, with most finishes outside the Top 200, while putting in enough work that I would have expected at least a handful of Top 50 finishes in the old system, at least for non-new character releases. Fortunately, giving up on placement still keeps it easy & fun.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    i don't play PvE regularly, but i've had a terrible time in PvP lately. where I could usually make it to 500 before getting pummeled with retals/losses, but now those kick in around 200 pnts.