How many slots should I keep open for 2* champion farming?

cooperbigdaddy
cooperbigdaddy Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So somewhere in October, I'll have over 300 tokens in each Taco pool and I will open each vault until I get all the HP awards (and maybe the LT and good 4*s), which will net out 8 slots (if I've done the math right).

My original plan was to start opening other event tokens (not LT yet) until I filled up the slots with characters I don't have, but then I thought about champion farming and it sounds wonderful.

I currently have OBW, Cap, Ares, Storm, Mags, Cap Marvel, Thor, Daken, and Wolverine (all championed), which means I'm missing 5 (Bullseye, Hawkeye, Human Torch, Moonstone, and Bagman). I definitely will roster these 5 2*s as soon as I get them, which will be immediately after I open any event token icon_lol.gif but should I save the other 3 slots for dupe 2*s when I eventually max my 2* champions? My highest is 122 so I still have some time, I just wanted some good opinions about what to do.

I know the smart way to do 2* farming is to save your max champion until you have a dupe with 13 covers at 94 so it can still compete in DDQ or essentials.

My goal is to eventually get to a point where no matter what token I open (besides LT), I won't have to sell the cover. icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I know the smart way to do 2* farming is to save your max champion until you have a dupe with 13 covers at 94 so it can still compete in DDQ or essentials.
    I don't know what the "right" way is, but I'll hold a 2* max champion until I have a dupe with 13 covers at min level, not 94, then sell off the max champ for 65k and rechamp the low-level dupe (which costs an additional ~10k).

If you're about to cash in a mass amount of taco tokens and expect a ton of 2*s, you can probably still do it with just one extra slot. Let's say in your token windfall, you end up with 13+ OBWs, Wolverines, Storms, Thors and Dakens. Pick one to roster as a dupe, max out the 13 covers, sell off the max champ, re-champ the dupe, and you still have an open slot. Repeat one character at a time. You'd just need to have 10k ISO on hand for each 2*, but you could easily make that up with a week of LR farming.

If you end up with less than 13 covers for a bunch of 2s, I'd just sit on them and wait for them to reach 13 covers. I'd have to believe you'd pick up at least 8-10 covers for most of the 2*s when you cash in all those tokens, and then within 2 weeks you'd pick up enough to finish them off and re-champ each.

Or I could totally be out of my mind! Just food for thought. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards

My goal is to eventually get to a point where no matter what token I open (besides LT), I won't have to sell the cover. icon_e_smile.gif

You pretty much answered your own question. As a practical matter you could probably get way with buying no extra slots by letting covers sit in the que until the day before they expire.

However, you might as well purchase the extra slots now. Slots are a durable purchase, no matter where you are in the game, you will need extra slots. If you decide to stop 2* farming or even getting rid of extra 1*/2* characters, you can still use their slots for other 3*/4*/5*.
  • Phumade
    Phumade wrote:

You pretty much answered your own question. As a practical matter you could probably get way with buying no extra slots by letting covers sit in the que until the day before they expire.

However, you might as well purchase the extra slots now. Slots are a durable purchase, no matter where you are in the game, you will need extra slots. If you decide to stop 2* farming or even getting rid of extra 1*/2* characters, you can still use their slots for other 3*/4*/5*.

Edit:
    Many people worry about whether selling 2* champs makes DDQ harder. IMHO, any 3 2* at lvl 94 and higher is more than a match for the 2 ddq levels. All the characters work well enough together that you can mix and max with impunity (even OBW/Bullseye/Bagman). In fact, the funnest part of 2* farming is the fact that you have to consistently mix and match 2* teams at constantly changing power levels.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Level 144 Ares plus a couple of low level re rostered 2*s was enough for ddq when I sold my first couple (before I had any dupes rostered or even 13 of one character in my queue...)
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I initially added four slots for farming but since then have just decided to cycle them as they max. Just keep the max champ for a week or so while you build up some covers of the character you'll be cycling and you should end up with at least a handful of covers. Now that they reduced the difficulty of the 2* nodes in PVE it really doesn't make a difference if you have them at level 15 with just a couple of covers.

The more important consideration is being able to hold the ISO you get from selling aside for the next champing. As long as you can do that it really isn't necessary to hold extra roster slots for 2*s while collecting covers. You'll get covers quickly enough, it generally takes me less than 2 weeks to completely cover any given 2* between LR drops, PVP drops and PVE tokens and rewards. Which means as long as you don't mind doing DDQ with different teams you'll be fine.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have all 14 2*s rostered at this point. When I get a 2* to level 144, the next time I get a cover for that person, I sell him and roster the new level 15 with 1 cover.

I don't care about DDQ or essentials at this point. Essentials are so easy now that it doesn't matter if you're playing them 2 v 3. And since I have 9 or so 2* champs, selling one of them still leaves me plenty of DDQ options.
  • EmSkee
    EmSkee Posts: 15
    noob here.

what is the point of selling a max champ 2* if it takes another 10k iso to build again?
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    EmSkee wrote:
    noob here.

what is the point of selling a max champ 2* if it takes another 10k iso to build again?

the actual iso net loss after rechamping to 144 is roughly 8000 iso. along the way you pick up 250 hp, 5 cp, 3 3* covers and 5 heroic tokens. its a pretty good value imo.
  • Phumade
    and those 3 3* covers and 5 heroics all lead to additional champ levels rewards. The whole champion system completely turbo charged the hp economy. In retrospect, its not at all surprising that they introduced cp as a third economy. Nowadays, I almost never hear people complain about lack of hp.