Attacks in Versus Tournaments

Enjoying the game for the most part, however there is an aspect I am not too crazy about.

The penalties seem for being attacked during the versus tournaments seem very heavy. For example, during just the last three hours of the Avengers tournament this past weekend I lost 92 shield tokens. It was enough to drop me from rank 545 to well over rank 1000. Very frustrating to lose that much ground while I slept. I'm also getting attacked by the same person multiple times, for example during a fifteen minute session this morning, I noticed I was attacked twice in rapid succession by one player for a total of 30 tokens. I'm usually only getting 15 tokens or so a game at this point in a tournament, so that more or less wiped out all my gains for that session. Again, really frustrating.

It seems overly punative. The opponent is already getting shield tokens and improving his/her position relative to you. The deductions cause you to also lose rank compared to everyone else. It's doubly painful.

It also is not clear if there is a way of defending yourself from attacks. Another player I know is not experiencing anywhere near this level of attacks, though he has a comparable token count and team.

I hope the Devs look at this forum for feedback. I like the game, but at times I definitely feel like I am swimming upstream.

Comments

• I would have to agree, during the last tournament I dropped a bunch of ranks just from one attack as well. I would like to know how matchmaking is determined because it seems it's not just by your point total, sometimes I even get people who if I beat them, I get 0 pts
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    ZzzWolph wrote:
    I would have to agree, during the last tournament I dropped a bunch of ranks just from one attack as well. I would like to know how matchmaking is determined because it seems it's not just by your point total, sometimes I even get people who if I beat them, I get 0 pts

Matchmaking in a simplistic nutshell: You have a score that is gathered from all your Versus Tournaments so that the game knows how good you are as a running tally. It then matches you up with a random player that's close to that same rating. So it's not taking your *current* rating into account for those matchups, it's saying "You're considered one of the top 30 in the world across all tourneys, so let's match you up with the top 20-40". This can sometimes result in the oddities you see though where maybe the Top 23rd player starts the tournament that day, so you're being matched with someone with a horrifically low rating compared to yourself. Basically, it always tries to provide a strong challenge and minimizes the possibility of a walkover as much as possible.
  • IceIX wrote:
    ZzzWolph wrote:
    I would have to agree, during the last tournament I dropped a bunch of ranks just from one attack as well. I would like to know how matchmaking is determined because it seems it's not just by your point total, sometimes I even get people who if I beat them, I get 0 pts

Matchmaking in a simplistic nutshell: You have a score that is gathered from all your Versus Tournaments so that the game knows how good you are as a running tally. It then matches you up with a random player that's close to that same rating. So it's not taking your *current* rating into account for those matchups, it's saying "You're considered one of the top 30 in the world across all tourneys, so let's match you up with the top 20-40". This can sometimes result in the oddities you see though where maybe the Top 23rd player starts the tournament that day, so you're being matched with someone with a horrifically low rating compared to yourself. Basically, it always tries to provide a strong challenge and minimizes the possibility of a walkover as much as possible.

I am thinking that perhaps the choice of opponents need to be limited to players either:
    1. Approximately 50 places above or below yourself (an estimation that needs to be tested), or
    2. At least worth 10 points, or within a range of 5-50.

The idea is to ensure matchups with good point yields, rather than with people who might have been in your league some time ago. In addition, you tend to always get matched with the same people, or you never get matched with players you need to hit. For example, the top ten guys, and maybe 5 of them are newcomers not within your rating bracket.

Random selections using average tournament ratings isn't ideal. Getting matched up with low rating characters is fine, as long as you get the points you want. Currently in the prologue SHIELD tournament (yea, that endless one with pretty bad points:rewards ratio), I'm getting opponents with zero to 3 points all the time. I cycle through like 50 of them, get tired of cycling and then log off the app.