Anyone else hate the discard mechanic?

Options
Buret0
Buret0 Posts: 1,591
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I prefer the old choose mechanic, or at least the old option to forego discarding cards when it was optional to do so (Sphinx's Tutelage). Accidentally breaking that blue activation has cost me a couple of times already.

Can we have the old mechanic back?

Comments

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well the old system would never show you more than 4 cards in your hand to discard, so you couldn't access some cards at all.

So at least they've changed one system that doesn't work how people want it to for another system that doesn't work how people want it to.
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    They didn't get all the old cards as the patch notes said. Magmatic Insight still allowed me to choose which card to discard today.
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    They didn't get all the old cards as the patch notes said. Magmatic Insight still allowed me to choose which card to discard today.

That is a bug with Magmatic Insight that will be fixed in a future update.

Just to let you know, for this to work with the new Madness mechanic, I had to retrofit a ton of older cards to make sure they would use the new code internally, and it is possible that I may have missed one or two (I'm only human and there was no way to fully automate this, sadly). They will be fixed in a future update.
  • ThatRandomGuy
    Options

Just to let you know, for this to work with the new Madness mechanic, I had to retrofit a ton of older cards to make sure they would use the new code internally, and it is possible that I may have missed one or two (I'm only human and there was no way to fully automate this, sadly). They will be fixed in a future update.

Hi JC,

Is it intended that Sphinx's Tutelage Activate effect doesn't work with Madness? The card text says destroy, not discard, however it plays the same animation/sounds as normal discarding, which is a bit odd.

I've also managed to discard a Nagging Thoughts to Day's Undoing which seems like a bug.
  • Rootbreaker
    Options

Hi JC,

Is it intended that Sphinx's Tutelage Activate effect doesn't work with Madness? The card text says destroy, not discard, however it plays the same animation/sounds as normal discarding, which is a bit odd.

I've also managed to discard a Nagging Thoughts to Day's Undoing which seems like a bug.
    Day's undoing doesn't discard. It shuffles your hand into your library.
  • ThatRandomGuy
    Options

Hi JC,

Day's undoing doesn't discard. It shuffles your hand into your library.

That would explain that. I had assumed it worked the same as the Black one. Serves me right. :p
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options

Actually can't'we have the old way back instead of considering magmatic insight bugged?

I know it may break the flow a little but when discarding because of a popped gem, one may lose an important card that wasn';t expected to be discarded.

The same goes for sphinx's'tutelage, I was really happy to have the choice not to cycle at times....
  • Hibernum_JC
    Options

Actually can't'we have the old way back instead of considering magmatic insight bugged?

I know it may break the flow a little but when discarding because of a popped gem, one may lose an important card that wasn';t expected to be discarded.

The same goes for sphinx's'tutelage, I was really happy to have the choice not to cycle at times....

That's the intended behavior, actually. The logic is that Discarding one of your own cards is a drawback and a cost to an ability, and Madness was designed so that it was a way to mitigate that cost.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree to the logic, but usually we have a little control to the drawback, sphinx tutelage is the best example i think

Was there a technical reason to change the mechanic?
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not a big fan, but it might be too early, someone might find a good way to exploit it in the future
  • Hibernum_JC
    Options
    I agree to the logic, but usually we have a little control to the drawback, sphinx tutelage is the best example i think

Was there a technical reason to change the mechanic?

There was, actually. For Madness to work, I have to use another hook into the code than what the cards used before. This is so I can have a unique event to track when cards are discarded to trigger Madness.

To get technical, before I used to just move the card from the hand to the graveyard. Now I have a dedicated part of the code that discards, and this is a necessity to use triggers (just moving cards doesn't trigger anything).
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    To get technical, before I used to just move the card from the hand to the graveyard. Now I have a dedicated part of the code that discards, and this is a necessity to use triggers (just moving cards doesn't trigger anything).
    Are you doing all the coding yourself? icon_eek.gif
    Are you looking for testers?
    I am a Dev Tester with 4 years of background, and 5 months coding C# and JS icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Hibernum_JC
    Options
    Are you doing all the coding yourself? icon_eek.gif
    Are you looking for testers?
    I am a Dev Tester with 4 years of background, and 5 months coding C# and JS icon_e_biggrin.gif

Ha! No, I'm not doing any programming myself in the project (although I do know how to code, just not at the level our engineering team is at, obviously). What I do is integrate the cards, so if I need specific behaviors I request them to the team and they put it in for me (right now I'm paired up with a very talented programmer who pretty much just implements anything I ask her to do so it's all good).