MPQ never gets mentioned on other Marvel gaming boards

inEden
inEden Posts: 41
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I've played all of the Marvel mobile games extensively (except Avengers Academy) at some point and frequent the reddit and official forums for them too.

One thing I've noticed is that they get compared to one another. Not the gameplay, but:-

- how much content they have
- how frequently it gets released,
- whether it's f2p vs p2w,
- how engaging the developers or spokesperson are,
- how generous the game is,
- bugs

The games most mentioned are Future fight and Conquest of champions. Avengers alliance 1 and 2 also gets mentioned and so does Avengers Academy. However, MPQ never gets mentioned. I say that with no hyperbole. It literally never gets mentioned. I always mention it myself but no one replies to me.

To be honest, when I do mention MPQ on other marvel gaming boards, I'm pretty much always saying how much progression sucks in MPQ and that players of Marvel game 'x' should be grateful.

Just food for thought I guess. I would have thought MPQ would be more popular than it actually is (based on the revenue or the top grossing games list on iOS).

I got a serious love/hate relationship with MPQ. I think it is just fantastic. Progression kills me though. I'm have other hobbies so I don't get to play that much and I'm really struggling with progression.

Is MPQ too hard? Is that why no one mentions it or plays it in the wider Marvel gaming community? For example, in Marvel Avengers Alliance 2 you can have a great roster in months. Future Fight too. Even the cancelled DeNA Marvel Might Heroes game wasn't too bad with progression (Not sure about Conquest of Champions or Avengers academy though)

In MPQ it would easily take over a year I think. Considering that there are going to be like more 4* than 3*, how long would it take a new player to have three maxed 4*?

Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    inEden wrote:
    In MPQ it would easily take over a year I think. Considering that there are going to be like more 4* than 3*, how long would it take a new player to have three maxed 4*?

If a new player managed to get three maxed 4*s in a year (without whaling), I would be seriously impressed. My guess would be that on average, a new player would simply not be able to do that, like at all, until well after the point in time where it would be competitively relevant for him to have them.

I mean, yeah, joining a high level alliance and getting Line and devoting dozens of hours per week to coordinating with them would probably get you there comparatively quickly, but what new player would know to do any of that, or would have the patience for it?
  • inEden
    inEden Posts: 41
    My guess would be that on average, a new player would simply not be able to do that, like at all, until well after the point in time where it would be competitively relevant for him to have them.

That is a great point and thank you for adding it the thread.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    inEden wrote:

If a new player managed to get three maxed 4*s in a year (without whaling), I would be seriously impressed. My guess would be that on average, a new player would simply not be able to do that, like at all, until well after the point in time where it would be competitively relevant for him to have them.

I mean, yeah, joining a high level alliance and getting Line and devoting dozens of hours per week to coordinating with them would probably get you there comparatively quickly, but what new player would know to do any of that, or would have the patience for it?

It's doable within a year if you actually enjoy the game and play it consistently. I'm in a bad alliance, and I don't use Line, and I could probably pull it off I didn't care more about champing my 3* than leveling my 4*.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I may be wrong but I think it's just because of the type of game MPQ is. The other games are games mainly along the line of the fighting and action RPG genres which appeal to the general "game" population. As a puzzle RPG, MPQ is a pretty niche genre that doesn't easily appeal to people that aren't already into the genre. But yeah the barrier to entry with the progression system doesn't really help either.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I've gotten so used to MPQ's structure that when I play other mobile games, I'm constantly amazed at how generous they are in comparison. For example, I picked up Kingdom Hearts Unchained X this week, and there's currently an event running where AP costs for entering quests are reduced to zero for the week. AP is that game's playtime-limiting feature - in MPQ this would be equivalent to having all your characters instantly healed after every match.

Not to mention that you get regular deposits of premium currency (jewels), enough that an F2P player can realistically save up towards RNG gatcha pulls and other items - including increased medal inventory (roster) space. Those RNG pulls contain guaranteed 5* medals (equivalent to our 4*s) which new players can instantly use without needing to level them up. Daily quests are run to give you the materials you need to level up your medals and equipment; these have a high AP cost, but did I mention that you'll regenerate most of it in a hour or two?

This might be just how F2P games generally are, I wouldn't really know... MPQ's set my "bar" so low that just about anything can wow me!
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I may be wrong but I think it's just because of the type of game MPQ is. The other games are games mainly along the line of the fighting and action RPG genres which appeal to the general "game" population. As a puzzle RPG, MPQ is a pretty niche genre that doesn't easily appeal to people that aren't already into the genre. But yeah the barrier to entry with the progression system doesn't really help either.
    LOL.

MPQ is a match 3 game at its heart.
    That's as far away from niche as you can get.

"Puzzle RPG" lol. Yeah it's highly sophisticated gaming in MPQ.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    where is the “puzzle“ in mpq?
    all I see is plain luck.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    ammenell wrote:
    all I see is plain luck.

Puzzle is that you know how to prevent enemy make you damage, how to know exactly when enemy fires a power and avoid damage and how you make maximal damage to the enemy. It's not that easy so it's a puzzle.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    One thing to think about is the fact that MPQ is very different in the fact that it is a match 3 and also has a PVP like aspect to it. I also play clash Royale which is 100% PVP and let me tell you this getting 5* in MPQ is so much easier then getting legendary cards in Clash. Because clash Royale is true player vs player you really do get matched up with way bigger opponents. Sometimes it is like a 3* fighting a 4* player. Imagine going into a PVP match with a buffed LC, IF, SW and seeing a buffed maxed Nova, X-23, Pnusher combination.

MPQ has its flaws but you can at least see progression as slow as it may be.

I have tried some of the other marvel games and they feel more RPG and more self play then alliance driven. Then again I only tried them for a couple of days to a couple of weeks before I gave up.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    CNash wrote:
    I've gotten so used to MPQ's structure that when I play other mobile games, I'm constantly amazed at how generous they are in comparison. For example, I picked up Kingdom Hearts Unchained X this week, and there's currently an event running where AP costs for entering quests are reduced to zero for the week. AP is that game's playtime-limiting feature - in MPQ this would be equivalent to having all your characters instantly healed after every match.

Not to mention that you get regular deposits of premium currency (jewels), enough that an F2P player can realistically save up towards RNG gatcha pulls and other items - including increased medal inventory (roster) space. Those RNG pulls contain guaranteed 5* medals (equivalent to our 4*s) which new players can instantly use without needing to level them up. Daily quests are run to give you the materials you need to level up your medals and equipment; these have a high AP cost, but did I mention that you'll regenerate most of it in a hour or two?

This might be just how F2P games generally are, I wouldn't really know... MPQ's set my "bar" so low that just about anything can wow me!

I have to completely disagree here. KHUX seems like its trying to grab users since its not really that popular (talk about niche, many KH fans have burned out on thier sub par content over the years.) Take a look at some other games in the top grossing. I see clash games, which dont give away ****, and Scopely's TWD Road to Survival. I know many former players migrated to this game, but talk about way worse than MPQ for giving things away. I've been playing it casually, and it's truly a whale to win game with little to no rewards. I almost rage quit the other day because I couldn't get more than 1 four star, but finally got a whole bunch thanks to RNG (which is way worse). To top it off, it's the app's anniversary, and I couldn't have told you that by viewing in game content.

Long story short, I think we all suffer from some 'grass is greener' traps on this board. Every other game has a loyal player base that is probably just as unsatisfied as we are (see all the PGO rage quits after the update- Apple even stopped allowing refunds on that game!), it's just we get lost in visiting this place daily and listening to everyone else complain. Not to say that some complaints aren't valid, but some seem to truely hate that they play. If you're really that pissed about it- quit. There are plenty of other apps out there that are just as bad. Or worse.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    inEden wrote:

Is MPQ too hard? Is that why no one mentions it or plays it in the wider Marvel gaming community?

I don't think hard is quite the right word. It isn't than a match three puzzle is particularly taxing. But the over arching pieces don't quite work. It is more mind numbingly repetitive than hard. For PvE the rewards are gated behind time commitments that in no way match the rewards, alongside way too much RNG based progression.

For PvP, maybe difficult? But again, I'm hesitant to call it difficult in the traditional sense. The AI is stupid enough that you can still win matches. The difficulty comes in being lucky enough to finish your match without getting hit for more points than you've actually won. So do you classify some artless and naive design as difficult?

It is more stingy and ill conceived than hard.
    Considering that there are going to be like more 4* than 3*, how long would it take a new player to have three maxed 4*?

Well, I'm on day 777, and I still haven't. A few weeks ago, I did finally have my first 4* to max covers, but of course have nowhere near the ISO required to champion him. So, I'd imagine I'll have three in sometime around the three year mark.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    ammenell wrote:
    all I see is plain luck.

It's in figuring out how on earth you got to day number (insert yours here).
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    inEden wrote:
    Is MPQ too hard? Is that why no one mentions it or plays it in the wider Marvel gaming community?
    The hard part is not caring that all the **** they dangle in front of you won't be usable to you for a long, long time, if ever. Hell, BSS and GG came out 6 and 7 months ago, and between the two of them, I have 7 covers total. And yeah, I get every token and every CP available. In fact, I don't have any fully-covered 5*s. The hard part is accepting this RNG scamduggery and resisting the urge to forget about your sunk costs and move on to a game that doesn't do such a **** job of pathing its players towards the end game.
  • Legasher
    Legasher Posts: 67 Match Maker
    inEden wrote:

Considering that there are going to be like more 4* than 3*, how long would it take a new player to have three maxed 4*?

I'm at day 550. In the next week or so, the daily rewards will give me a 4hor cover that will finally max her. She will be my first fully covered 4*. I'm not in a big alliance, and I don't use line. RNG has been nice enough that I have at least one cover of every 4* (except Wasp at this point), but considering I got 3 covers for a PX my first three weeks by accidentally lucking into a crazy bracket snipe, and then didn't see another one until after championing... He's now at 5/1/3. It takes a very long time unless you go crazy and dedicate your life to it. And that's only going to get crazier with the further releases.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    mckauhu wrote:
    ammenell wrote:
    all I see is plain luck.

Puzzle is that you know how to prevent enemy make you damage, how to know exactly when enemy fires a power and avoid damage and how you make maximal damage to the enemy. It's not that easy so it's a puzzle.
    It's totally not a puzzle. It is a slot machine game. Everytime you start a match against a team 100 levels above or below you, you really don't know if you will wipe or win the match. Really, I think of it as a long slot machine pull from the moment you start a match to the end. That's how long the slot wheels are spinning for and then you get a victory or you lose screen. Having strong characters reduce the chances of a lost, but it is mostly based on luck and how much hp you are willing to spend. Try the ddq clash of titans and everyone will know what i am talking about. You can deny ap all you want, it has an effect, but ultimately it depends a lot on the random cascades granting the ai or you the colors you need. The only boost that i find matters is the all colors damage boost which cost hp to get more of if you don't have a stockpile.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    It appears the artificial difficulty wall in obtaining rewards is highly successful by causing fewer players to spend a LOT more money than other free to plays. It takes a very special type of person to keep playing MPQ after a certain amount of time.
  • mckauhu
    dsds wrote:
    mckauhu wrote:
    ammenell wrote:
    all I see is plain luck.

It's totally not a puzzle. It is a slot machine game. Everytime you start a match against a team 100 levels above or below you, you really don't know if you will wipe or win the match. Really, I think of it as a long slot machine pull from the moment you start a match to the end. That's how long the slot wheels are spinning for and then you get a victory or you lose screen. Having strong characters reduce the chances of a lost, but it is mostly based on luck and how much hp you are willing to spend. Try the ddq clash of titans and everyone will know what i am talking about. You can deny ap all you want, it has an effect, but ultimately it depends a lot on the random cascades granting the ai or you the colors you need. The only boost that i find matters is the all colors damage boost which cost hp to get more of if you don't have a stockpile.

You got a point, but the way I see it, if one is not smart enough, don't know what kind of teams to make so that can have best chances to defeat enemies. That already is puzzling even if it seems simple. It may look like a slot machine to a someone who have played already for a while, but newcomers don't know yet the tricks, they have to figure them out. I personally can defeat almost any node with just the right team. Pick even one "wrong" character and you fail. Sure it is luck based too, but you are greatly improving your chances with right teams and overcoming the puzzle. Puzzle is simply "how to defeat this team x" When you figure it out, it becomes simpler, but it still is a puzzle for sure.

Also what you need HP for? Roster slots. Just and only roster slots (/shield)

Check definition of a "puzzle" -->
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/puzzle
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm glad khux has been mentioned. I find it's much more generous with rewards, plus there's a lot more content, so more to do.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    mckauhu wrote:
    dsds wrote:
    mckauhu wrote:
    ammenell wrote:
    all I see is plain luck.

You got a point, but the way I see it, if one is not smart enough, don't know what kind of teams to make so that can have best chances to defeat enemies. That already is puzzling even if it seems simple. It may look like a slot machine to a someone who have played already for a while, but newcomers don't know yet the tricks, they have to figure them out. I personally can defeat almost any node with just the right team. Pick even one "wrong" character and you fail. Sure it is luck based too, but you are greatly improving your chances with right teams and overcoming the puzzle. Puzzle is simply "how to defeat this team x" When you figure it out, it becomes simpler, but it still is a puzzle for sure.

Also what you need HP for? Roster slots. Just and only roster slots (/shield)

Check definition of a "puzzle" -->
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/puzzle

Yes teams are important, but if you pick the wrong team but have the luck, you can outright win it without taking damage. I have had times where I wasn't paying attention, picked the wrong team, and still won because the beginning board gave me like crazy easy match 4s and 5s and won easily when I thought I was for sure to lose. In the past I would retreat but now I just play because it is so luck dependent. Just imagine two match 5s. That is 2 extra turns and 10 color ap, plus the bonus damage and the extra ap for the extra turn.

I have realized that hp is very important. When you fight a match and you use those all color damage boosts that cost hp if you have none stockpiled, it significantly improves your chances of winning (especially true for ddq clash of titans). Also hp is required for health packs in case you wipe and you run out. Also used for shields.

I was always wondering how some people beat me in pvp with a weak team, it's because of the all color damage boost. I guess it makes no difference since I retaliate after and I take very little damage, but sometimes, I might be too high up in points to waste time on 5 pts.
  • mckauhu
    dsds wrote:

Yes teams are important, but if you pick the wrong team but have the luck, you can outright win it without taking damage. I have had times where I wasn't paying attention, picked the wrong team, and still won because the beginning board gave me like crazy easy match 4s and 5s and won easily when I thought I was for sure to lose. In the past I would retreat but now I just play because it is so luck dependent. Just imagine two match 5s. That is 2 extra turns and 10 color ap, plus the bonus damage and the extra ap for the extra turn.

I have realized that hp is very important. When you fight a match and you use those all color damage boosts that cost hp if you have none stockpiled, it significantly improves your chances of winning (especially true for ddq clash of titans). Also hp is required for health packs in case you wipe and you run out. Also used for shields.

I was always wondering how some people beat me in pvp with a weak team, it's because of the all color damage boost. I guess it makes no difference since I retaliate after and I take very little damage, but sometimes, I might be too high up in points to waste time on 5 pts.

Sure you can have luck too, but question here was wether MPQ is puzzle or not. Even if there is luck involved, it doesn't change the fact it's still a puzzle. And it is ofcourse possible to win with "wrong" teams too, but chances are way lower. If you want to maximize your performance, you use right teams.

Damage boosts are excellent, but when your roster becomes better, you don't need them that much anymore and definitely don't want to spend your precious hp on them. I have almost always +20 damage boost in stock and +15 other boosts too simply because I don't need them - only in the most difficult of battles.

Now I'm just guessing you are kind a new to this game? Concentrate on developing a large roster rather than spending in damage boosts and you either wont need them then anymore (just in a hardest battles). How much they cost anyway? (I haven't ever seen it because always had in stock) Even 10 hp is too much imo...