Your Moment of MPQ Shame

MPQ_Daywalker
MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
As cool as we forumites like to think we are, at the end of the day we're just people playing a match-3 mobile game with comic book characters that looks (and sounds) ridiculous to the uninitiated. And we take this casual "match the gems" game way more seriously than any sane person probably should.

I recently had an interaction with my wife that kept me thinking... I had handed my phone to my wife so she could read an article I was looking at. While she was reading, my Google Calendar alert saying simply "LR" popped up on the screen and she showed it to me and asked, "What's this?" I didn't want to go into how it was a reminder for Lightning Rounds starting in a few minutes so I need to start up MPQ, so I waved my hand and nonchalantly said, "Oh it's just something for Puzzle Quest." She laughed and said, "You know, you should be a lot more embarrassed about that."

That could have gone a whole lot worse, but it had me wondering, what are everyone else's moments of MPQ shame? It could be getting caught by a significant other doing a PVE grind or PVP shield hop, playing the game on public transportation or a waiting room to unusual reactions, or something much more embarrassing than I can think of.

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    We all shield-hop in the bathroom at work right?
    And we've all experienced some ridiculous cascades or other awful luck while shield-hopping right?
    And we all don't remember whether or not the bathroom was empty when we let out a verbal reaction to aforementioned bad luck, right?
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sure that we all have had those evil mega cascades fall against us costing the match. Esspecially when you have at least 2 characters and are about to kill off the 3rd and last enemy on the Ai side just to have them get a caascade with 4 or 5 crit 5's and kill you dead. And I'm also sure that when this happens there are those among us that will spontaneously release a few colorful descriptions. All I can say is that when it happens, make sure your lieutenant is not standing right behind you. icon_eek.gif
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    When you are playing it so much that your significant other makes remarks about just how much you are playing, it almost brings the shame of what I would imagine it feels like to get called out on having a drug addiction. Not speaking from experience or anything...
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Hi, my name is Grunth, and I am an MPQaholoic. I once did a shield hop and pve clear while at a dinner party. I excused myself from my friends (yes I have some real people friends) and told them that I had to go to the bathroom because my stomache was acting up. I went to the most obscure and out of way bathroom so that I wouldn't be bothered and did my hop and clear. When I came back, my friends asked me what the hell took so long icon_redface.gif

Another time, I was in the middle of a long hop when my kids tried to steal my phone because "Daddy won't put his phone down and play with us" icon_redface.gif

Thanks for listening!!!
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    And we've all experienced some ridiculous cascades or other awful luck while shield-hopping right?
    And we all don't remember whether or not the bathroom was empty when we let out a verbal reaction to aforementioned bad luck, right?

Welp, finally an advantage to being a Steam player.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:

You don't have a laptop?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:

You don't have a laptop?

My work computer doesn't have Steam, and even if it did, it would seem a bit odd if I brought it into the bathroom with me.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    moments of shame:

1) buying HP for a ten-pack
    2) buying HP for covers
    3) buying ISO (it was a long, long time ago)
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Every tinykitty time my wife sees me playing!!!!
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Mine is a tad different story. Today I told 2 of my coworkers (that both play this game) that the 4* reward for the next event was flaptain and they didn't know what I was talking about so I told them and they made fun of me for being on the forums too much.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    "when are you coming to bed"
    "eh, in a minute, just cleaning my teeth"
    "are you cleaning them one at a time???"

For the record, sleep was the only thing on its way. I'm not THAT far gone...
  • Habitually making a dump last 20 minutes to clear the whole DDQ.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Smudge wrote:
    When you are playing it so much that your significant other makes remarks about just how much you are playing, it almost brings the shame of what I would imagine it feels like to get called out on having a drug addiction. Not speaking from experience or anything...
    Been there. After the first time my wife said something, I just made it a habit of setting my phone down and completely forgetting about the game if she's talking to me. No MPQ reward is important enough to me to make my wife pissed that I view a videogame as more important than her.
    And when you realize that your significant other, who once upon a time never played this game, now plays more than you do?

Absolutely, positively, under no circumstances, ever say anything about it.
    I feel this also goes for any videogame your significant other gets super-involved in. You can't make fun of someone for playing Candy Crush when you've spent countless hours matching gems of your own in MPQ... not to mention the many more hours you may have spent on the forums or adding more calculations to your roster spreadsheet.
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    Reading this thread just makes me feel super lucky to have a significant one who not only does not criticise me for my religious commitment to MPQ, but has his own digital addictions too icon_lol.gif

Then again, when we first met back in 2009, I made it very clear from the beginning that I was a complete nerd and that he had to deal with it or it wouldn't work out icon_cool.gif