D3 naming policies and rude names

AtlasAxe
AtlasAxe Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
Follow up to a recent post that was likely deleted because of questionable content posted in it that actually exists ingame. There's been some recent, selective enforcement on teams where names could be interpreted as rude, if you really make a stretch on pronunciation. This was said to be done based on D3 Policy.

Questions:

1. Where is this policy so players can view it?
2. What is being done about the dozens, if not hundreds of rude names of players and alliances that are already out there in the game.
3. Why is being enforced selectively?

Not going to get into other actual names since it appears that you will delete the post, even though those names are all visible in game.

Comments

• Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thinks it simply a case of if you are liked and popular you can get away with certain indiscretions, if you're a thorn in the side of somebody in authority you can't.

It's the same rule as the real world and all about who you know.
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Guys, many of the name changes that occur by the hands of CS are almost always a direct result of other players and their complaints. It's your peers that are alerting CS, not CS surfing through names and picking and choosing who to hose and who not to. Be mad at your in-game peers if you feel there is differential treatment occurring.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    and if you have a propensity to tick people off, don't expect to get much leash on that stuff.

edit: I liked the alpha name. a lot compared to the lazy 'leave off the c or k or change f to ph' groups.
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    and if you have a propensity to tick people off, don't expect to get much leash on that stuff.

Exactly! I know of multiple times when someone felt they were sniped by a player with a questionable ign, got pissed at the supposed sniper, and complained to CS about that person's ign.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    zonatahunt wrote:
    Guys, many of the name changes that occur by the hands of CS are almost always a direct result of other players and their complaints. It's your peers that are alerting CS, not CS surfing through names and picking and choosing who to hose and who not to. Be mad at your in-game peers if you feel there is differential treatment occurring.

In a past life I moderated online games and if a questionable username was reported we had to search for all other usernames of a similar nature (variations of spelling etc) and report those to admins to be changed all in the name of consistency so as to avoid appearing to single out individuals. I refuse to believe that customer service do not have tools to search user or alliance names databases.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    zonatahunt wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

Exactly! I know of multiple times when someone felt they were sniped by a player with a questionable ign, got pissed at the supposed sniper, and complained to CS about that person's ign.

So, what happens when someone organises an alliance of "name snipers". One report of an offensive name might not always be actioned, but if you've got 20 reports coming in, then there's probably going to be some investigation. Do we end up with something like

1. Find a player/alliance with a suspect name
    2. Report them, and get the other 19 players in your alliance to report them
    3. CS spends more time changing names instead of resolving real issues
    4. ???
    5. Profit
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    never heard of that happening mawt. most just want to be left alone and play their match-3 game, get some progression and rewards as efficiently as possible so it doesn't cut too deep into RL.

I have heard of an entire alliance queuing up a person and all sniping at once when they un# and have no sympathy for the groups that do that, whether legitimate, coordinated or otherwise. its a damn game, and we are all adults (based on the who r you thread), but so many act like little jr high bullies. no sympathy from me if someone tries to stand up to em.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    (Locking topic. Moving to Feedback.)

The Terms of Use for Marvel Puzzle Quest can be found here:

https://d3go.com/legals/#marvel_puzzle_ ... rms_of_use

There are automated systems in place to help limit offensive names. However, as we all know, players figure out ways to circumvent the system.

Normally, if a name is reported as offensive it is investigated. We're currently discussing how much more proactive we can be given time and staff restraints.

We reserve the right to change a player or Alliance name if it is deemed offensive. Players are able to suggest alternative names if they desire.

No consideration is given to whether or not a player is a spender or non-spender when changing offensive names.
This discussion has been closed.