Poll: Would you still covet oml if [true heal was burst]

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Simple question...

Would people still think oml is the greatest thing since hasselhoffs first album if true healing were all changed to burst healing?

Answers on a postcard...or you could just choose an option.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Still a yes, because even burst healing will make him heal back to high health in the battle.

Say I bring a 1000 health oml into battle. Within the next 5 turns he will heal back to 15k. He is as good as new. And as Long as his health don't fall below 1000, he is still as good for the next battle.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed wrote:
    Still a yes, because even burst healing will make him heal back to high health in the battle.

Say I bring a 1000 health oml into battle. Within the next 5 turns he will heal back to 15k. He is as good as new. And as Long as his health don't fall below 1000, he is still as good for the next battle.

You are completely right.

At first I was going to vote no, but after reading your comment it was obvious for me that for powers that are continuously healing you (it would be very different with SS blue for example), it doesn't matter that much if it is true healing or not. Most of the time I start fights with OML with his life under 30%, but it doesn't matter, because he heals so fast that before the AI can fire anything he is back to full health.

The only real difference would be that when he is close to 5 or 10% I would probably use a health pack just to make sure the AI doesn't have a lucky cascade, instead of doing any PvE or DDQ4 easy fight to heal him (even now sometimes I use the health pack just to go faster).
  • Just get your own and stop complaining - no I don't have OML at all and I don't care because I will some day and he'll probably be nerfed just as I'm about to max him. There are loads of points to be had fighting 1-3 cover OML's in climbing and if you're seeing max but can't handle him then it's your rosters fault, not OML's. True healing is good for the player, every character nerf is bad for everybody...

There is waaaay too much crying about strong characters being strong, everyone knock it off. They already cut XFW's jewels off, leave the Old Mans alone.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes. He's the IF of the 5*'s - and folks run IF well into the 4* transition. Tons of extra damage is a HUGE scarecrow.

I assume here you mean he doesn't true heal between matches (so OML users -actually- have to use Health Packs again! The horror!). If he still heals -in- match it makes his health much higher virtually, so even without true-heal after match he would still be The Only Character That Matters.
  • SnowcaTT
    Also, this poll needs at least three options:

Yes
    No (I have OML, and I secretly am voting this way because I don't want the deserved nerf of The Only Character That Matters!)
    No (I don't have OML and I don't understand how OML works)
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    He would still be a pretty strong 5*, because he hits pretty hard and would keep himself at or near max health for most of the match before transforming. But he is already not the best available 5* for a single match (IM46, and GG are both pretty clearly better offensive characters for single match).

But he would also require a healthpack every other round or so, just from the self inflicted damage from his red.

I would not covet him quite as much since I really value true healing and the ability to conserve healthpacks. But he would still be a strong 5*.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for giving D3 stupid ideas.

If they even consider doing this they would need to restructure PVE scaling to eliminate 5stars no matter what level they are at for your team.
  • Polares
    edited August 2016
    Vhailorx wrote:
    He would still be a pretty strong 5*, because he hits pretty hard and would keep himself at or near max health for most of the match before transforming. But he is already not the best available 5* for a single match (IM46, and GG are both pretty clearly better offensive characters for single match).

But he would also require a healthpack every other round or so, just from the self inflicted damage from his red.

I would not covet him quite as much since I really value true healing and the ability to conserve healthpacks. But he would still be a strong 5*.

After using OML and PH for a while I have to say that I would have big problems if I have to chose which one is better. PH purple is BIG, it can really kill anybody very fast, so if you get 14 purple you have basically won the match. She also has a kind of a regen (it is a bit more dangerous because sometimes a lucky match or even ending the match before the tile reaches 0 can kill her before she comes back - yes this has happened to me more than once, one time I could save her because I had enough black to cast Living Legend so I could lose a turn without killing the last guy of the other team), and her strike tiles are also very nice. Both a very very good.

I guess the damage output of GG is still unmatched in 5 land, and IM46 has also very high damage ratios AND cascade potential, so in the long run those two will start to appear a lot more when we can get enough covers (like in 2018 icon_razz.gif)

PS: The only thing that really limits PH is the limitation in the max number of strike tiles when firing red, you need to be clever in the way you fire red, etc. If it wasn't for this, she would probably be better than OML (it is not that hard having enough red to fire red twice or even thrice after purple).
    Daiches wrote:
    Thanks for giving D3 stupid ideas.

If they even consider doing this they would need to restructure PVE scaling to eliminate 5stars no matter what level they are at for your team.

Do you imagine what would happen if now Devs decided to nerf OML into oblivion (like XForce) and a LOT of players had to endure the scaling and MMR rating with an unusable OML? Wow, that would probably the end for all those players...
  • SnowcaTT
    Daiches wrote:

Welcome to the world of anyone who owns non-OML 5*'s. It's great that the OML folks can run PVE and never use health packs....wish I could do that...
    Polares wrote:
    After using OML and PH for a while I have to say that I would have big problems if I have to chose which one is better.

I guess the damage output of GG is still unmatched in 5 land, and IM46 has also very high damage ratios AND cascade potential, so in the long run those two will start to appear a lot more when we can get enough covers (like in 2018 icon_razz.gif)

PH you can play denial on. Just take the purple and red, she won't fire.

OML will -always- fire his heal, and it's basically impossible to prevent his strike tiles (can't deny everything from every character!). That's why you see a 3* (IF) matched with him so often!

When given the choice, I'll always take on a 455 PH over a 435 OML.

Totally agree with those that say there are better 5* options - and with Polares's point here that with the dillution of 5* covers no-one outside of super-whales or RNG lottery-winners will be running them anytime soon.
  • Polares
    SnowcaTT wrote:

PH you can play denial on. Just take the purple and red, she won't fire.

OML will -always- fire his heal, and it's basically impossible to prevent his strike tiles (can't deny everything from every character!). That's why you see a 3* (IF) matched with him so often!

When given the choice, I'll always take on a 455 PH over a 435 OML.

I was talking more in general, not for defense. Both are really good, but none is particularly difficult to win (if you have another 5). You can usually survive to a purple cast, but if OML fires black it can really hurt you, so black denial is the priority.
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Totally agree with those that say there are better 5* options - and with Polares's point here that with the dillution of 5* covers no-one outside of super-whales or RNG lottery-winners will be running them anytime soon.

This is really a big big problem for 4->5 and 5 players (who are not whales). Anybody that doesnt have a 10+ cover 5 is going to have a lot of problems to max him, and for the ones that we do, it is going to be really hard to max the other 5s. How long until I max my 6 cover Spidey? or my 3 cover GG? Another year ?!?!?!?!
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    This is really a big big problem for 4->5 and 5 players (who are not whales). Anybody that doesnt have a 10+ cover 5 is going to have a lot of problems to max him, and for the ones that we do, it is going to be really hard to max the other 5s. How long until I max my 6 cover Spidey? or my 3 cover GG? Another year ?!?!?!?!

Of course, this was their original intent, for 5* to be a slow, arduous process. So hey, goal achieved, about a year after the first release.
  • The question is silly. With his selfdestruction red his health going down each match.
    You can ask same Question to phoenix - if she dies she just came back for this game :-/

It doesn't make sense to nerf 5*. Better way is to improve 4* and 3* - a lot of them are just weak and we wait for a good nerf since long time (e.g. Invisible Woman or Cho).
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    *takes a break from hunting Drowzee and pokes head out of cave*

In terms of actual battle tactics, this changes nothing. The only real difference is out of battle heal time. Such a change would of course increase the required use of health packs. However, considering that other top tier characters like GG and IM do not have true healing abilities, I don't see how this would dramatically affect OML's tier status.

And for those of you still trying to sell that GG/IM as the "new" best thing you really need to do your homework. Yes, in terms of offensive strength they are arguably better (but not that much better) but defensively they are a few notches below the true king and queen of PvP, OML and PHX. The reasons for this are rather simple:

GG's go-to colors, Black and Purple, are also the colors any good MPQ player running OML/PHX should be going after, effectively shutting him down. Additionally, in the event GG is able to pull off his black both OML/PHX are capable of healing off the damage. In the event that GG manages to pull off his pink, there is no guarantee he will be throwing red bombs since it is AI controlled. Contrastingly, you are going to need health packs if GG manages to survive an OML/PHX flaming blades of hell and fury attack.

IM's main appeal is that his colors complement GG and he has the potential to create cascades (something Phoenix is much better at doing and comes with bonus secondary effects). He is just a nice hood (or glider?) ornament. Better than Cap and SS, but probably around Spidey level.

People like to argue that OML is slow but actually the dude is a ticking time bomb that pumps out strike tiles whenever a teammate or TU is fired. Because of his healing (true or not) you have to either:

1. save him for last
    2. store up enough AP to take him out in one go (the GG maneuver) [keeping in mind that he is also potentially storing up enough for the big snikt!]
    3. bring MBW TUs to stun him and whittle him down
    4. Bring your own OML to the fight.

I have found the members on this forum that often underrate him are ones that already have a functional OML so they can afford to deny the opponent OML its colors and think it's a piece of cake since they are using their own OML. But I assure you any strategy you use against OML has just as much a chance, if not higher chance, to work against GG, especially if you have PHX.

Given a choice between fighting an OML/PHX or a GG/IM team, I would choose GG/IM every time. Heck, I would even take on a fully champed GG since he is pretty easy to AP deny with the OML/PHX and they can heal off the match damage (had a lot of fun fighting an uber-buffed GG in the last Villains off season PvP). Can you say the same about a fully champed OML/PHX?

*Returns to his cave searching for that little booger! Here Drowzee, Drowzee*

• Given a choice between fighting an OML/PHX or a GG/IM team, I would choose GG/IM every time. Heck, I would even take on a fully champed GG since he is pretty easy to AP deny with the OML/PHX and they can heal off the match damage (had a lot of fun fighting an uber-buffed GG in the last Villains off season PvP). Can you say the same about a fully champed OML/PHX?

*Returns to his cave searching for that little booger! Here Drowzee, Drowzee*
    My most feared 5* duo is IM/BSSM. mainly because I run OML/pheonix and the only time I wipe is when the AI gets a crazy cascade. Those two have massive cascade potential and neuter strikes. Also, IM red is pretty powerful w/ a team IM partner.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmmm the poll didn't go the way I expected at all. I was expecting a resounding yes.

As for the poster who insinuated I created the poll because I was complaining about not having one you clearly never checked my roster. I have a 300 2/1/5 oml whom I rarely use unless it's pve. He's a bit too passive for my taste though I can see why people like him. I'm addicted to firing powers so the match damage wins you get with him don't float my boat.

Thanks for voting guys and the comments are all appreciated
  • SnowcaTT
    Hmmm the poll didn't go the way I expected at all. I was expecting a resounding yes.

I always see a lot of push back whenever I criticize how broken OML is. Obviously anyone who has a usable OML will be pretty vocal that the character shouldn't change - I think if folks were honest, a lot of the "no" votes would have to admit to having 10+ cover OML's.....