Should I champion any of these remaining 3*s?

Options
Whosaninja
Whosaninja Posts: 49
edited August 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Hi
I am currently in the 3/4* transition with only a few 4*s with enough covers, so I've been building a base of 3*'s. That has left me with 13 3*s (between levels 90-114) that have not been championed, and have been my lowest priority. So I ask you who out of them, if anyone, should I champion?

Beast and Mystique are tempting as they feed Jean Grey and Iceman, and Ragnarok with him having 5 covers but would be good to get a view. I have enough ISO to champion 2 straight away (and take advantage of the covers) but don't want to champion all so I can build up ISO for the 4*s.

Beast 1 cover available
Bullseye 2 covers available
Captain Marvel 2 covers available
Colossus
Deadpool
Psylocke
Spider-Man 1 cover available
Squirrel Girl
The Punisher 1 cover available
Daredevil
Gamora
Ragnarok 5 covers available
Sentry 1 cover available
Mystique 1 cover available

Cheers
Whosaninja

Comments

• Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    How many 4*s do you have covered and who are they? If they're, like Invisible Woman, Mr. Fantastic, or Cho Hulk I'd say keep champing your 3*s, but if they're Hulkbuster, Iceman, Rulk, or Jean forget the 3*s and get the 4*s.

The downside to champing all the 3*s is you'll lose out on 4* champ rewards. I was about in your position when I started my transition into
    4* and chose to champ more 3*s instead of moving up. Because of that I ended up having to sell a bunch of 4* covers I got from champ rewards or token pulls because I hadn't leveled that character. Granted I wouldn't had the likes of IW or Starlord champed by then anyway, but I've had to shred at least five Kingpin covers because of it.

Though the other question to ask is how many covers are you pulling in? If you're just placing in events where you get the progression 3* and maybe one from placement, I wouldn't sweat champing everyone. But if you're pulling in 2 or 3 from placement per event then its something to consider.
  • Whosaninja
    Options
    I have the below 4*s at 10+ covers, and some of the other notable characters. At the moment I am only PVE'ing some events (new characters etc), with regular top10 placements in PVP

Iron Man Hulkbuster 4 5/3/4 12/13 190
    Sam Wilson Captain America 4 3/3/5 11/13 127
    Nick Fury Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. 4 5/5/3 13/13 120
    Invisible Woman Classic 4 4/4/2 10/13 111
    Ant-Man Scott Lang 4 3/5/3 11/13 94
    Kingpin Wilson Fisk 4 4/4/3 11/13 94
    Thor Goddess of Thunder 4 4/4/3 11/13 90
    Ghost Rider Johnny Blaze 4 3/4/3 10/13 86
    Deadpool Uncanny X-Force 4 4/2/4 10/13 74

Jean Grey All New X-Men 4 3/2/3 8/13 94
    Red Hulk Thunderbolt Ross 4 0/4/3 7/13 86
    Iceman All New X-Men 4 1/5/1 7/13 111
  • Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hulkbuster // Iron First and Lady Thor // Iron Man 42 are crazy power 4/3 teams and will likely carry you until you're fully in 4* land. I've got 8 leveled 4*s and I still use Iron Thor all the time. And you've got that all important 5 red on HB. I'd say you're ready to start leveling those 2 and just keep an eye on PVP for when they're the 1000 pt rewards.
  • Whosaninja
    Options
    So don't level any more 3*s?
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You will probably see more success leveling Hulkbuster and Thor than you will champing low tier 3s.

That said, if you pull that trigger, be prepared for most of the rest of your roster to become irrelevant. Your scaling won't permit you to play with most of your stable of 3s very often anymore.
  • Whosaninja
    Options
    I'm thinking I'll just champ Beast and Mystique (for Ice / JG covers) and say goodnight to the others. Time to focus on the brave new (old) world of the 4*s

Cheers
    Greg
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Whosaninja wrote:
    I'm thinking I'll just champ Beast and Mystique (for Ice / JG covers) and say goodnight to the others. Time to focus on the brave new (old) world of the 4*s

Cheers
    Greg
    Cover.
    Singular.

It'll take you 12 months to reach the second 4* cover in the 3* reward chain.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The two on that list that I would champion are Bullseye and Deadpool. For wave nodes, Bullseye is amazing and I have read that many 4* players use him in these nodes as he is that good. Deadpool can be really useful to have for his whales ability to cash in and beat any node with 14 purple. The issue though is that some nodes are really hard and you need to make sure he lives to get the 14 purple so it may make sense to champ him to raise his health. I think he is a decent character too so he can be useful in many team combos too.

I am in a similar boat and I am not going to level up my 4* until I have enough good characters and iso to do so. My issue is, as pointed out above, why would I ruin my scaling and the ability to use a ton of 3* characters to get a few good 4*. I mainly play PvE so there really is no benefit to 4* with scaling as I am better off with lower scaling and a ton of characters to choose from as opposed to a very limited roster of useful characters. I could see it being more useful in PvP to have 4* but if I can only play with a couple of teams due to scaling, I would probably quit the game. So that is why I have decided to level most of my 3*, not sure if I will level all of them as some seem like a complete waste, but I am for sure going to level at least 2 more and then probably start hoarding iso for 4* some day. I have brought up 4* to level 188 or so though since that puts them in line with my top 3*, so I think that strategy may make sense.

I would not max out 4* due to scaling looking at your roster, keep them in line with your 3* for now since you don't play PvP.
  • Whosaninja
    Options
    Fair point Bowgentle

Warbringa, I'll consider those 2 as well, as may be useful in the lengthy transition period

Thanks all for your comments, appreciated.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From your list, I like Beast, Bullseye, and Mystique.

Beast gets a bad rep from his pre-buff days -- if you like R&G, he's a faster version of them WITH an AOE.

I use Bullseye every day in TBE (along with Beast, in fact). He's also great against ninjas.

Mystique's purple is great: stun, AP steal, and enables her hammer of a black power. Or you could max out her blue to be a black/purple generator (although in my experience, she's less reliable than Doom in creating black).