I am legitimately impressed.

DFiPL
DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Someone in my DDQ bracket beat the Crash with a four-cover Iceman.

What impresses me is that he didn't have any purpleflag.png . Yeah, the green does some nice damage, but you're super at the mercy of the board without a way to gin up some more blue to keep the stunlock going.

2/2/0 and Level 90 just doesn't seem like it'd be enough to win that fight just with greens and blues.

Legit impressed.

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is the stun lock approach with match damage boost. Boost 4 blue total and 100% match damage and you have a chance to start stun locking JG. JG takes a lot of AP to fire an ability and with stun you can really control the board.

I will also say it is still impressive to win a crash with a leve 90 4*
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    2 blue covers is a 3 turn stun, that's huge in a 1:1 fight
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm also impressed. I'm in a similar position - 2/4/0 with no purple (lv 110). I lost twice this morning with 2x blue/purple, 2x all, and 5x blue/purple damage.

It starts off ok, but without the ability to generate blue you're at the mercy of the board. You can try to deny, but at 2.5x health she's going to get enough AP eventually to fire off an ability, and either one destroys you (at that level). Even if you get an awesome board, you have to tiptoe around 5-matches until you get enough blue to stun.

Easy in theory, because that stun lasts a long time. It's not a surefire bet like an invis tile is, though.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    The stun makes it pretty easy. It's great to be able to control the board. You can even stun her and then do some match 5s without any penalties.

Stun and then instead of punching the snowman, just let it run out and stun her again. Punch at the very end when her remaining hit point level is low enough to finish her.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Thanks, this inspired me to try using my 0/2/2 and with some luck and boosts I was able to get it in about 7 tries
  • Legasher
    Legasher Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Sounds better than all purple. I don't see my 1/4/0 doing very well.
  • DFiPL
    Straycat wrote:
    Thanks, this inspired me to try using my 0/2/2 and with some luck and boosts I was able to get it in about 7 tries

My 0/2/2 did it 3 with boosts. The stun is great! But if you don't have the purple, getting more blue to keep her stunned requires a lucky board. If you have blue and purple you can whittle her down. But green and blue with no purple?

Amazing.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah - I just beat JG with a 3/3/0 IM leveled to 120 with +2 B/P, +2 G/B and +100% damage

She got off her Blue cause my one of my matches caused a "lucky" cascade for me, but I kept track of her Green and Purple while I collected all the Blue that I could. Once she got enough to fire a power, I stunned her for the rest of the match and (barely) held on to win, mostly via match damage and one use of IM Green.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I beat it with 1/2/1 @ level 94 last time around. It's one of the easier 4* matchups. Stun is very powerful 1v1, and ice has one of the best stuns in the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone has done it 0/1/0.
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Have to thank this post for the motivation to try this with my 3/2/1 iceman, had no intention to try it till I saw this post. Unfortunately the result deserves to be in the worst moments thread as my 7 attempts led to an LT that produced... a **** Baglady
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    I won with a 1/3/1 level 70, using only AP boosts in 2 slots.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    This inspired ME to try.

It was a disaster X_X
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    After two initial tries and two losses with my
    (2-2-1) iceman I gave up.
    Then I saw this post.
    Tried again and on approximately the tenth attempt I successfully defeated Jean Grey.

Thanks for the motivational post. icon_e_smile.gif

Now,...what cover did I win.?

Nothing...saving them all for the leader of the inhumans Blackbolt. icon_e_biggrin.gif

#nuffsaid
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Think you all would be interested in this thread: Index of low-level/low-cover Crash of the Titans victories.
  • DFiPL
    Think you all would be interested in this thread: Index of low-level/low-cover Crash of the Titans victories.

Oh, I follow those already. This fella's win didn't impress me just because it was low-level/low-cover.

it was the specific mix given what Iceman needed to do to beat Jean.

The blue cover makes it possible because stuns, but you need to be able to keep collecting blue AP to chain the stuns. Without the purple cover to turn reds to blues, you're super at the mercy of boardfuckery.

This guy not only won with low-level/low-cover, but he did it in what, to me, was a supremely improbable fashion.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I did it - after a couple tries - with my 0-3-1 Ice. Stun like crazy and grab every blue you can.