What's the most reliable 3*/4* team for climbing to 1k+?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
For players without a deep 4* bench, climbing to 1k or higher in PvP can take a bit of work. 3*/4* combo teams are often the only option available to players, typically with the 3* character serving as battery, and the 4* providing the offense.

Some common examples are:

Im40 + 4*thor
Im40 + iceman
Im40 + cyclops
Switch + rulk
Iron Fist + imhb

Assuming a week where none of these characters are boosted, which is the most reliable team? What other teams work for people?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I'd take IM40 and Cyc or Iceman before IM40 and Thor - GT seems like a sign saying "Attack Me!"

I voted SWitch and Rhulk, Rulk is annyoing AOE and cascade character if you are facing him with other 3* roster.

Although I'd play two max/unboosted 4*'s if I had them over 3*'s, which generally are also "Attack Me!" signals.
  • Vhailorx
    Im40/thor is going to get a lot of votes because thisbis an older 4* and well covered. Same with imhb.

I am torn between thor and iceman as the best partner for im40. Both can stun lock opponents, which is borderline essential when using a 3*/4* team against boosted 4* opponents in PvP. For 18 blue and 10 red, 4* thor can stun two opponents for 3 turns and do about 11k damage to a third. For 18 blue and 12 green, iceman can do 5-6k aoe damage, stun 2 enemies for 4 turns, and do 8k damage to another opponent. So he's clearly a better option after the first at recharge goes off. But thor has several thousand extra health, and creates charges tiles that accelerate her subsequent attacks. Ice is probably slightly better, but with a slightly higher risk of wiping.

If/imhb has no stun ability and doesn't do enough single target damage anymore to really excel against boosted 4*s. (it's still awesome when imhb is boosted though!).

Peggy/im40 is also likely to be an awesome pair once more people have her covered.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    IM40/Peggy > IM40/Thor

I hit 1k consistently with FistBuster but that was before the IM40 buff.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    At the moment, I tend to run Jean and Scarlet Witch up until I want to float, then drop in Hulkbuster for Scarlet Witch.
    I don't tend to be taking on boosted 4* champs admittedly.
  • Vhailorx
    CT1888 wrote:
    At the moment, I tend to run Jean and Scarlet Witch up until I want to float, then drop in Hulkbuster for Scarlet Witch.

Can you hit 1k without fighting boosted 4* champ teams? I have a hard time finding anything else above 800 or so, but everyone's mmr is different. . .
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Can you hit 1k without fighting boosted 4* champ teams? I have a hard time finding anything else above 800 or so, but everyone's mmr is different. . .

Often, yes. It's getting a bit tricker to find them, but it tends to cost me a lot of Iso and I've been quite lucky finding cup cakes recently which has helped. If I'm running non-boosted 4*s, I'm generally avoiding characters with much over 20k health (unless super whaling to hit the mark and shield out or cross fingers for the last minute).
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    CT1888 wrote:

I climbed to 1k in spidey PvP without seeing any boosted opponents. I saw a lot of rulk.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx wrote:
    CT1888 wrote:

I climbed to 1k in spidey PvP without seeing any boosted opponents. I saw a lot of rulk.

This week is a bit odd as the boosted list is weak, so seeing unboosted top tier 4*s is more common. I guess to be more precise I should say that above 800 points, I tend to get matches against opponents with deep 4* benches. So I tend to get lots of whatever team is strong that week (be it boosted 4* champs, or top tier 4*s, or undercovered OML teams up to about 360).

(and obviously, one can get better opponents using line or other out-of-gamr coordination tactics).
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I went through this period before the IM40 buff, so I voted for Fist Buster! Who got me consistently to 1k with 1 or 2 shields. Now I've moved on to the ISO shortage threads.
  • Vhailorx
    Hendross wrote:
    I went through this period before the IM40 buff, so I voted for Fist Buster! Who got me consistently to 1k with 1 or 2 shields. Now I've moved on to the ISO shortage threads.

Haha, imhb/if was great! As I said in an earlier post, I think they are unusable now unless imhb is boosted. They just don't hit hard enough when you have to fight two opponents at or above 25k health. And they don't have a stun. But I think this team was definitely the best available 3*/4* combo from June 2015 through January 2016.
  • illusionist_KA
    illusionist_KA Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    My go to right now is Scarlet and Red hulk. have done 3 13oo + pvp, 3 1000+, just using this combo. got to 1426 during the Spidey pvp. i have a primarily 3* roster, with 3 4* (red, iron hulk, and jean) that are champed. the rest are coming up eventually.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    I tend to use IF, 3* Magneto and 3* Cyclops up until around 700. After that, I will trade Mags out for HB. Both teams allow me to use all colors. I don't hit 1000 every time, only when I want/need the 4* 1000 point cover. Once I get that, I just don't bother to shield because I really don't care about placement.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    JG SW or JG IM40 (weird but I've seen it a few times) both should work well. Easy 1k depends a bit on slice though.