Best non 5 partner for OML+PH

Options
Polares
Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Yesterday I was thinking who could be the best option for the third position of a maxed OML+PH team for sim and PvE. There are some nice possibilities but I am still not sure which is going to be the best partner for the two monsters. The ones I have evaluated are:

- Iceman: Powerful blue and green. No special synergy, but he has actives in two colors not used by the duo.
- Punisher: This might be one of the best partners. Actives in green and blue as Iceman, but he also adds a blue passive that will make all OML and PH strike tiles even stronger. Really nice synergy.
- Quake: She has also actives in green and blue, and she adds some damage reduction as a passive. No special synergy, but she might facilitate PH cascades.
- Cyclops: Active yellow and blue. Blue will help get red faster, and yellow is cheap. I usually prefer though to not have active yellows when OML is around.
- Peggy: Active blue and very strong one, and her yellow passive is also very very good.
- Xpool: You wont probably use any of his actives, but his black is so good ...
- Switch: Purple, purple everywhere. She is there so PH can cast as many purples as possible. But she is a 3 so she can be killed fast.

Any other partner I might be missing? Who do you use? who do you think it is the best one?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Personally, I rarely use anyone other than Iceman or XPool. But I see a lot of Rulk. I'll try out Peggy, Punisher, Nova, and Quake this season, I think, although my Peggy is probably too low-level to be at all useful on defense.

I think Nova will be interesting. I especially can't wait to try him out in PvE next week, along with Phoenix and Scarlet Witch. Should be quite the juggling act.
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I use Rulk on defense because he's the most annoying in 4* land to target first. But when climbing in sim, HB w/5 blue, XFDP, or Switch is what I usually use. I wish I had Peggy.
  • amusingfoo1
    Options
    Kate is another good one to consider, although mine, at 5/5/3@94, is not remotely close. She hits like a truck and can block OML's healing.
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If ironfist could be 4 star, I would choose IF
    match purple to create black
    high possibility of critical with lots of black tiles
    PHX purple passive boost friendly tile

I use this combination for PVE difficult node
  • Polares
    Options
    Personally, I rarely use anyone other than Iceman or XPool. But I see a lot of Rulk. I'll try out Peggy, Punisher, Nova, and Quake this season, I think, although my Peggy is probably too low-level to be at all useful on defense.

I think Nova will be interesting. I especially can't wait to try him out in PvE next week, along with Phoenix and Scarlet Witch. Should be quite the juggling act.

The problem of Nova is that he creates a lot of cheap tiles, so most of the time you would not be able to use PH red (or even OML red), which can be much stronger (9k+1.6k in strike tiles). This is why I think Nova is not a good partner for both.
    CCW1208 wrote:
    If ironfist could be 4 star, I would choose IF
    match purple to create black
    high possibility of critical with lots of black tiles
    PHX purple passive boost friendly tile

I use this combination for PVE difficult node

IF is not that interesting once you have a maxed PH in the team. She already can use purple to create cascades and feed her red power. It is not that IF is not good with them (black can be used by OML), it is just that this role 'cascade creator' is already in the team, so I think it would be better to bring something extra, like strike buffing (Punisher), stuns (Iceman) or power disruption (Peggy).
    Kate is another good one to consider, although mine, at 5/5/3@94, is not remotely close. She hits like a truck and can block OML's healing.

Blue is a bit expensive and there is a bit of color overlap with her black and purple (like with Nova, I prefer to create the stronger tiles of PH or OML). But her black specially is so cheap and strong that I guess she is also worth mentioning.

Rhulk when buffed can be added certainly, but for Sim and PvE I don't think he adds anything (I used to play OML+Rhulk when nobody was buffed, because he added purple and green to OML and they are both cheap, but once you have PH purple, he loses a great part of his utility).
  • Nick9819
    Nick9819 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    what about wasp yellow, change the strikes to shields and get more strikes.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All are pretty good partners, but I'm pretty fond of quake in sim with her active blue for board control and nice aoe with board shuffle, plus she hides behind oml and phx on all her colours even blue.
  • amusingfoo1
    Options
    All are pretty good partners, but I'm pretty fond of quake in sim with her active blue for board control and nice aoe with board shuffle, plus she hides behind oml and phx on all her colours even blue.

Hmm. I normally use Iceman vs Rulk, but I should give Quake a try. Probably as 5/5/3.
  • amusingfoo1
    Options
    I ended up championing Peggy just as I was ready to start in Sim, and I played her as my third all the way through. Very effective, despite only three champion levels. I'm ready to say that she's one of the top-3 4*s; PunMax and Iceman being the other two. I can't decide on what the ordering among the three should be.

Have three Kate covers pending; hopefully I can champ her before those expire.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Polares, I would think 5/3/5 if is the way to go. His role isnt so much "black battery" as "free attack tile to double dip on oml and Phoenix strikes."

Squishy as hell though.

All in all, I think peggy, ice, quake, and pun max are probably the best availavle options. Kate bishop is also decent, but conflicts with both Phoenix and oml.

Amusingfoo1: is pun max really top 3 material without any ap shenanigans? Just about all other top tier 4*s have some ap trick (ice, imhb, jg, rulk, cyc, even peggy's passive that suppresses the enemy). Pun max does strong damage, but can accelerate himself at all. Can he really be so good without any equivalent ability?

Seems to me that he is more in the 1A tier with nova and quake (maybe near the top of that group for pure damage though)
  • amusingfoo1
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Polares, I would think 5/3/5 if is the way to go. His role isnt so much "black battery" as "free attack tile to double dip on oml and Phoenix strikes."

Squishy as hell though.

All in all, I think peggy, ice, quake, and pun max are probably the best availavle options. Kate bishop is also decent, but conflicts with both Phoenix and oml.

Amusingfoo1: is pun max realm top 3 material without any ap shenanigans? Just about all other top tier 4*s have some ap trick (ice, imhb, jg, rulk, cyc, even peggy's passive that suppresses the enemy). Pun max does strong damage, but can accellerate himself at all. Can he really be so good without any equivalent ability?

Seems to me that he is more in the 1A tier with nova and quake (maybe near the top of that group for pure damage though)

Eh... Not sure. I'm only playing him with 5*s, and don't have any trouble getting enough green and black to fire his nuclear winter by the time I take out the first enemy. And the damage is just crazy: I almost always use his black over OML's.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Amusingfoo1: is pun max realm top 3 material without any ap shenanigans? Just about all other top tier 4*s have some ap trick (ice, imhb, jg, rulk, cyc, even peggy's passive that suppresses the enemy). Pun max does strong damage, but can accellerate himself at all. Can he really be so good without any equivalent ability?

Eh... Not sure. I'm only playing him with 5*s, and don't have any trouble getting enough green and black to fire his nuclear winter by the time I take out the first enemy. And the damage is just crazy: I almost always use his black over OML's.

I can see that. OML and PH are the perfect pair to fuel pun's black. that thing is uncapped damage and both PH and OML will make it stronger. Hell, just using PH's red once (with OML's passive strikes) will add 4k+ extra damage (almost 6 if you use Army of One, and that's BEFORE adding the damage from the strikes themselves).
  • Polares
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

I can see that. OML and PH are the perfect pair to fuel pun's black. that thing is uncapped damage and both PH and OML will make it stronger. Hell, just using PH's red once (with OML's passive strikes) will add 4k+ extra damage (almost 6 if you use Army of One, and that's BEFORE adding the damage from the strikes themselves).

I also champed Punisher after PH and OML so I also don't know how well Punisher plays with other 4s, but with those two 5s, it is very easy to kill one of the enemies while you add strike tiles and collect the green (10) and black (7) AP to launch this 11k+(strikes) AoE + 20k+ damage.

Punisher combo is very very good because you just need 17 AP, in two different colors. That is even less than Rhulk 11+7, and you know how easy to fire Rhulk green at 18 is. The only 'problem' is that you need to kill somebody and have some strike tiles on the board already before you can get the most out of the combo (more than the AP those are the real limitations). This is why I think somebody fast like Nova can help a lot. So Punisher really doesn't need acceleration as much as others, he just needs some time to build his combo and then you can kill the other team almost instantly.

It is hard to know for me (with my current scaling/MMR I always need to use 5s for everything) but Nova+Punisher might be the best team in 4 land right now.

With OML+PH you need 9 red + 10 green + 7 black and you have 6 strikes on the board, somebody already dead most certainly and then fire green + black to kill the rest (plus Punisher blue passive to buff the red strikes even more). And Punisher is always behind, so you have the time to get the AP easily.

PS: I am always talking when Punisher is buffed. For Sim his damage with the other 5s is not that spectacular so probably Peggy is a better partner (Peggy's blue is also fantastic with strikes on the board).
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Yeah, pun + nova is a solid pair, but again a bit slow for my tastes unless boosted. Maybe add in a battery as 3rd wheel? If generates black and double dips on all those strikes.
  • amusingfoo1
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    PS: I am always talking when Punisher is buffed. For Sim his damage with the other 5s is not that spectacular so probably Peggy is a better partner (Peggy's blue is also fantastic with strikes on the board).

Get one enemy down to one-turn kill range, fire her blue. Match or power to eliminate unstunned enemy, gather AP for one or two more turns, then OML black, win. It really is that simple with OML/Phx/Peggy. Never lost when I've gotten her blue off. And with the extra time from her passive, almost always get it off. Only time I can remember losing was when I went in with Peggy having only 1-2k above 30% hp; she got hit below the threshold, and all tinykitty broke loose. Might have lost one other time to a Phoenix cascade from heck; can't remember for sure.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    1 star spidey, 4 crit tile generation is no joke
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you're fighting other OML and PHX?

Ant man is good, you can just steal everything. OML fires black? Steal those. Steal everything. Make more tiles. Make attack tiles. Eat everything.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:

Ant man is good, you can just steal everything. OML fires black? Steal those. Steal everything. Make more tiles. Make attack tiles. Eat everything.
    Good luck getting enough blue with Ant Man tanking the match damage from OML and Phoenix.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

Good luck getting enough blue with Ant Man tanking the match damage from OML and Phoenix.

Ant Man has like 30k health when boosted, I'm sure I could come across 9 blue in that time.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

Ant Man has like 30k health when boosted, I'm sure I could come across 9 blue in that time.
    I don't know, every time I tried him in PVE I found him to be extremely squishy and requiring a HP after only 3 or even 2 matches.
    Can't run him in PVP at all, naturally, would be auto-attack for all 5* teams out there.