what do people do about unusable champion rewards?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Now that lots of players are getting up to or past level 183 on their 3* champs, some players will be faced with a level 183 4* cover reward that is unusable (e.g., because it goes to a cover-maxed but underleveled 4*).

What are people doing about this (admittedly classy) problem?

Take the champ level and sell the cover? Wait as long as possible and try to champ the relevant 4*? Sell the 3* cover and put things on hold? Something else? (see poll)
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    I only got a 5th cover to a 4* abiluty last week.

I am nowhere near this being a problem icon_neutral.gif
  • Vhailorx
    The Herald wrote:

Then you just joined the club of players for whom this is a concern! Now that you have 5-cover 4* powers, you are at risk of some champion reward giving you the a 6th cover.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:
    The Herald wrote:

Then you just joined the club of players for whom this is a concern! Now that you have 5-cover 4* powers, you are at risk of some champion reward giving you the a 6th cover.

Don't forget RNGeezus!

I expect every third cover to be the ONLY one I can't use.

I'll be selling. Just going to write off something unusable as spare iso and damn well let it go. Champion farming means everything will eventually come back around again.

Get Puzzle Quest Zen :p
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    You've missed out another possible scenario: getting a cover for a skill at 5 covers but the character is not max covered. I recently sold a Venom cover from a Loki champ reward because my Venom is at 5/4/0 (thanks RNG). But either way the cover still goes to my champ, and I'll be selling the resulting cover. Unless the character rewarded is top tier there's no motivation to push so hard to get the ISO to level them, and I can safely say none of my top tier characters (save for HB and XDP) are anywhere near max covered. Plus, I could use the ISO for other purposes.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I level and sell the 4* cover. IMO it's better to keep progressing the 3*.

Sure it sucks to sell the Kingpin or Ghost Rider or whoever covers...but as I get closer to the 5* switch, it doesn't make much sense to invest in a soon to be deadbeat 4*

That said, I don't have all my 3* champed, and at this point I'm picking and choosing based on who their rewards are. So I finished Cpt Marvel (who leads to Thing who I have champed), but I'll sell these Spidey covers (who gives Morales who I don't have champed). From a resource management point, it doesn't make much sense to me to use Iso to champ someone whose rewards I can't further maximize.
  • Vhailorx
    edited August 2016
    Personally, I don't have a single answer.

I currently have 5 or 6 3* in the 180-182 range (no doubt that's why this question occured to me).

I plan to treat them all case by case.

So, beast is currently at 182, but I definitely won't apply the next level until I am ready to champ jg (currently 3/4/5, rending the green champ reward useless).

But gsbw is also 182 and I am inclined to level her and sell the fury covers, since fury is a much lower champ'ing priority for me than JG.

The one that's giving me fits is 3* punisher. I need pun max covers and at some point i have to think that punisher's champ rewards will be switched from **** Elektra (near the bottom of my 'to champ' list) to very tempting pun max covers.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    It all goes into the money pot. And then eventually I champion a 4*, maybe months from now.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends on the 4*.

The only 4* I have max-covered is IW. I've already sold three covers from random draws. Once I get Doom to 183, I'll sell her cover off.

For a higher tier character, if I got to a point where I had a fully covered underleveled one of those, I'd go option 2 - draw out the process and try to reap the champ rewards.
  • Rodolfo78
    Rodolfo78 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Selling 4* covers should no longer give anyone heartburn, IMO, since ISO is so obviously the limiting factor in the game. "Enough" covers will always come eventually, "enough" ISO will never come.

Or think about it this way: by selling every 3* cover that would get you the unuseable-until-champed 4* cover, you're delaying (for possibly months) all the other 3* champ rewards for the benefit of a single 4* champ level that you wouldn't otherwise have. Champ and sell, and don't look back!
  • bigwhoop
    bigwhoop Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    It all depends the cover given.

I sold a few patch and 3* deadpool covers because XFW and XDP were on my list of the 1st batch of 4* to champion. I defined my 1st batch of 4* to champion as 4Thor, IMHB, Jean, iceman, 4Cyc, rhulk, XFW, XDP, x-23, and ant-man. The last 2 were added to the list because I had multiple covers waiting.

I also sold many other 4* cover that wasn't on that list. IW, MrF, Fury, Profx, etc.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Rodolfo78 wrote:
    Selling 4* covers should no longer give anyone heartburn, IMO, since ISO is so obviously the limiting factor in the game. "Enough" covers will always come eventually, "enough" ISO will never come.

Or think about it this way: by selling every 3* cover that would get you the unuseable-until-champed 4* cover, you're delaying (for possibly months) all the other 3* champ rewards for the benefit of a single 4* champ level that you wouldn't otherwise have. Champ and sell, and don't look back!
    I agree with this. The release rate outpaces the ISO earn rate so you won't be able to champ all 4*s. You are going to have to pick and choose which 4*s are worthy of ISO and so acquiring a cover for a 4* not worthy of ISO should not cause you to think twice about just selling it.

Personally I get more use out of champed 3*s than champed 4*s with very few exceptions. I even plan to champ all my 2*s (and start the cycle of selling and rebuilding them) before I start spending ISO on more 4*s.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just sell the covers. I've sold dozens of 4* covers, one more isn't gonna make any difference.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I don't champion the 3* unless I need the covers. Fortunately, I only have a few unchampioned 4*'s that are max-covered.
  • Vhailorx
    Rodolfo78 wrote:

I think this is more or less righy, but with the caveat that it is occasionally worthwhile to wait for a specific, short term goals.

So to use my own roster as an exampe: my JG is 3/4/5, and my beast is 182. It will probably not be long until I get my 13 5th JG cover and she is a relatively high priority character to champ. So it might be worth selling a beast cover or two since I anticipate champ'ing jg relatively soon.
  • Eec411
    Eec411 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    I would sit on the 3* as long as possible and just apply it before it expires.

The "excess" 4*, I'll sit on for 2 weeks to see if I pull another of the useless cover to get the 2 color cover sell bonus. If I don't find one, don't lose anything from waiting the 14 days.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted wait as long as possible to apply the 3* champ level then wait another 14 days to give you time to champ the 4*

This happened recently to me and I just power mined my way from level 130 to 270 in 17 days. I won't say it was fun but it is doable.

I think for future I'll consider one factor when deciding...is the 4* I need to champ at level 226?

Yes? Then do the champ Sprint
    No? Sell the resulting 4* cover from the 3* champ level
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    One time I was able to hold off on my 3Pool cover for 2 weeks and then hold onto the 4Pool reward until I got 4Pool champed.

But usually I just sell the useless 4* reward because 4*s take waaaaay too long to champ and I usually have better things to spend my ISO on.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it's a 2* champion whose feeder isn't yet championed (for example I don't have Ragnarok championed), I just sell the cover for ISO. I'll eventually recycle the 2* and there will come a day when the cover is useful.

My 3* champions I've been creating partly based on who I used, but partly based on who they feed.

My only current 3* champion who's a feeder for a 4* I don't have with reasonable progress is Thor, who feeds Red Hulk.

But I do have a 1-cover Red Hulk, so he's still a useful champion.

All of the rest are feeding characters who have 5+ total covers already, and the only 4* I have with 5 covers in a power is Professor X, who has 5 purpleflag.png .

Doc Ock feeds Carnage; I really have no interest in Carnage at this time, so Ock's been really low-priority as a champion. He's hanging out at 125 for a while.

And so it goes.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    It really depends on who it is.

If the 4* cover is IW, Starlord, Cho etc that I wont have the iso to champion (in forever) then I'll just level the 3* and sell the cover (when they about to expire in hopes of getting doubles within the next 14 days).

If the 4* cover is someone I'm going to champion soon, then I may hold it off or just level it. You have 28 days to get enough iso to champion the 4* (14 from holding the 3* and another 14 from the 4* cover). This is normally enough to get 350-400k required if you dont spend on anything else.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    My JG is at 5/1/3 - and that 1 blue is only a very recent addition. I've ~sold~ more than 15 purple covers, so I'm somewhat accustomed to just sucking it up and selling the cover.

That said, I recently hit 183 on both Grocket and Gamora, with my Star Lord already on 5/4/3. And even for someone like Star Lord, that kinda stings.

My closest upcoming champ reward covers are Rhulk, Thor, and XFW - all of which I have champed already - and after those it's MrF, Ghost Rider, and XFDP - all of which I need - so that's a nice change of pace for a while. My next "big decision" due to champ rewards will be Elektra. I have her max covered, but currently at L165, and it's a long way to go to champ status from there.