2* Essentials in PVE

sinnerjfl
sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
These have been around for a while now and we never were given a reason why (probably to sell roster slots) but heh,
they're in the game and I'm assuming we're stuck with them.

But seriously, why do these nodes scale almost as high as the other essential nodes, have the "lower" reward table
while being pretty darn difficult considering it's basically a 2 vs 3.

A player's 2* characters does not scale well, even a fully champed 2* still doesnt do much vs lvl 300+ enemies.

Either the scaling needs to be seriously lowered on those or give them the same reward table as the other essential.
It's not fun fighting these nodes, they're difficult, they take a lot longer and the best you can hope for is 200 iso8.png

It's tinykitty time this changes icon_lol.gif

Comments

• HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    A 2* champed character at 144 scales better than a 1 cover 4* at 70. The 2* Essentials are not what bothers me personally. I would rather do the 2* Cap Essential 10 times than the Invisible Woman essential 2 or 3 times.
  • Lol what I do is keep only one slot for a 2* and keep rotating them every event. I only champed about 5 2* and sold 2 already since they were maxed. I plan to sell the other 3 too and just keep one slot for all 2* and like I said just use that for 2* essentials. I keep one copy of each in inventory and sell the extras.

I rely mainly on my other 2 heroes to win the node anyway. I don't re-use the iso to champ sold character back and use it for a 3*.

This way I never have to buy slots for 2* heroes. I have about 56 slots and only 4 is for 2* and soon to be 1 once the other 3* are maxed.

Edit - I probably will keep OBW as maxed.
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Lol what I do is keep only one slot for a 2* and keep rotating them every event. I only champed about 5 2* and sold 2 already since they were maxed. I plan to sell the other 3 too and just keep one slot for all 2* and like I said just use that for 2* essentials. I keep one copy of each in inventory and sell the extras.

I rely mainly on my other 2 heroes to win the node anyway. I don't re-use the iso to champ sold character back and use it for a 3*.

This way I never have to buy slots for 2* heroes. I have about 56 slots and only 4 is for 2* and soon to be 1 once the other 3* are maxed.

This seems like a poor choice. You'd really be handicapping yourself in finishing ddq
  • Ram51
    Ram51 Posts: 117
    chaos01 wrote:
    This seems like a poor choice. You'd really be handicapping yourself in finishing ddq

I only have two 2* characters so I can finish DDQ (Thor and OBW) and one slot for the rotating essential 2*. So far, I can recall only one time when I couldn't use both of them in the 2* only DDQ node.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    I've got every 2* set up as a cover farm, except Bagman (who I haven't dropped a cover for in a fair while). It feels part of the push to have expansive rosters since roster slots are something casual players care enough about to actually cough up money for.

So long as you're farming 2*s for pushed 3* covers you won't be lacking having the required character. The Skinner Box factor makes dropping 2*s feel good at least :p
  • chaos01 wrote:
    Lol what I do is keep only one slot for a 2* and keep rotating them every event. I only champed about 5 2* and sold 2 already since they were maxed. I plan to sell the other 3 too and just keep one slot for all 2* and like I said just use that for 2* essentials. I keep one copy of each in inventory and sell the extras.

I think it be fine, I'm keeping Ares and OBW, those two can beat the 2* node.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    The essentials, in general, are poorly thought out. A 2-3* transitioner, at best, goes into the 4* essential with an undercovered, often useless 4*. A 4-5* player goes into the 2* essential with a character well below their scaling, even if the 2* is fully covered and leveled. Both situations is going into a match handicapped with dead weight.

As a 3-4* player, both matches can be rough. Especially on the third out fourth time with the current scaling.

I doubt we'll get a change to it anytime soon, but it's been bugging me for some time.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    The essentials, in general, are poorly thought out. A 2-3* transitioner, at best, goes into the 4* essential with an undercovered, often useless 4*. A 4-5* player goes into the 2* essential with a character well below their scaling, even if the 2* is fully covered and leveled. Both situations is going into a match handicapped with dead weight.
    Yet another reason why scaling should be based on the characters you're using, not the characters on your roster.
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Just want to add my $0.02 that I also think these are scaled very poorly. I'm a 4* player and as others have mentioned, even a fully championed, boosted 2* is dead weight. Every one of these fights is a 2v3, with scaling nearly identical to the other essential nodes.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    To me though that's what the essential nodes are...fixed character challenges

As a 2/3 star player the 2* node is easiest - it scales naturally for me. The 3* node is hit or miss. Usually my 3* has 2-3 covers so it's almost like 2v3, and the 4* is more of the same except it's rare to have more than two covers. Turns into a shell game trying to beat some of the toughest boards I'll see all day for the CP with the weakest team options I'll have. Makes me have to think through my resources and use them wisely to get through (TU HP and boosts - at my level these are all rare).

The regular run is one challenge, these are a separate one with a separate set of variables. That's all
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    They even rub added salt in the wound by scaling based on your highest leveled characters regardless of whether you can actually use them or not. Have champed phoenix and oml? Oh, I'm sorry, you have to face level 390 enemies, but 2* wolvie is essential and you're facing teen jean, so you're tinykitty'd. Good luck beating this with only 2 functioning 4* characters at best.

Anyway I whole-heartedly agree (and was thinking the same thing just last night!) that the rewards for the 2* essential node are way off. I didn't bother hitting it the last couple times in protest cause it wasn't worth hitting that overscaled mess with only my best 2 chars to work with.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with the OP...but also it's not just the 2*'s.

It's any time you have to drag along a new 4* as essential the very next event.

It's practically any 3* - if you have a decent 4* roster those are just poor 3rd wheels as well.

Scaling in general really needs to be looked at. Put everything on progressions instead of placement and let everyone compete at the same level for those progressions. It has never been fun that you are punished for bettering your roster - and that's been the case forever. But that is something that can be changed!