The Meta Hall of Fame

13»

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I thought xfw's red was switched to black. Wasn't he r/g/y? As I recall he had a red power that destroyed 3 horizontal rows.

Yep.
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=552

Damn, I completely forgot how much he sucked! A 7 turn healing CD?!
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also meant to add...Cmags/Patch was around a longer time than indicated. A lot of people were using that to beat the spiderman teams quickly. With the boost situations back then, you could boost +5/6 blue and win without giving the opponent even a single turn to hurt you.

Also as a comment - in that stage of the game I actually preferred Punisher with Cmags. His added environmental match strength and crit multiplier really helped since Cmags could easily set up crits with environmental tiles. His green also helped to shake up the board some if you ever got stalled on blue matches. Anyway - I think you've about covered everything, was a fun read.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    mohio wrote:
    Also meant to add...Cmags/Patch was around a longer time than indicated. A lot of people were using that to beat the spiderman teams quickly. With the boost situations back then, you could boost +5/6 blue and win without giving the opponent even a single turn to hurt you.

Also as a comment - in that stage of the game I actually preferred Punisher with Cmags. His added environmental match strength and crit multiplier really helped since Cmags could easily set up crits with environmental tiles. His green also helped to shake up the board some if you ever got stalled on blue matches. Anyway - I think you've about covered everything, was a fun read.

So that's why pun is so meh now. He was reliant on environmental tiles to be good and was nerfed by the change to TU tiles with no corresponding buff.
  • Swish
    Swish Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I thought xfw's red was switched to black. Wasn't he r/g/y? As I recall he had a red power that destroyed 3 horizontal rows.

As for BP, his yellow did get changed a few times. I think it had just become what it is now when I started playing (i e strike tiles, and stronger strikes if you have 12 team up ap). I always assumed that was because of the environmental tiles > team up change.

Oh, that's right! I stand corrected!
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I was a newbie, I was all about the 1* Storm, Thor and maybe Wolverine combo.

This worked best when environmental tiles were a thing, especially in the forest or the desert. Suck up all the environmental tiles and use the skill that either created a 6 green tiles in the desert or gave you 5 of every AP in the forest.

I could winfinite with that. Just keep using Storm's green power, then her red (before it was yellow) to gather environmental tiles, create more AP or green tiles, cascade, use Thor's yellow to make *more* green tiles, use Storm some more...just keep going until you got bored and used Thor's green to finish them off.

I remember being so hyped when Mohawk Storm was announced to be a 3* varient of 1* Storm...only to realise evironmental tiles were no longer a thing.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    IF was part of the 2*Mags/Mystique combo and was nerfed almost immediately after release.

Another short-lived combo was Hood/GT. She added way more charged tiles and stunned for longer, and Twin Pistols both collected AP and didn't end the turn. So as long as you targeted enough charged tiles for more stun or more twin pistols, you could keep it going forever.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kavel wrote:
    _M4ru_ wrote:
    Wasn't there an insta-day-after-release Black Panther's black nerf? I vaguely remember it being super op i.e. killing the entire enemy team?

Yeah I feel like his Black did a lot more damage originally and was immediately nerfed upon release.

IIRC his ROTP didn't give the enemy any AP.

Along the same lines, the enemy strike tiles Patch's Berserker Rage were at the very least imbalanced upon release -- I think that the purples ones were actually yours.
  • freakygeek
    freakygeek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Kavel wrote:
    _M4ru_ wrote:
    Wasn't there an insta-day-after-release Black Panther's black nerf? I vaguely remember it being super op i.e. killing the entire enemy team?

Yeah I feel like his Black did a lot more damage originally and was immediately nerfed upon release.

IIRC his ROTP didn't give the enemy any AP.

Along the same lines, the enemy strike tiles Patch's Berserker Rage were at the very least imbalanced upon release -- I think that the purples ones were actually yours.

The purple strike tile issue was a bug that was fixed midway through the 1st Thick as Thieves run when Patch was first required.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    jobob wrote:
    IF was part of the 2*Mags/Mystique combo and was nerfed almost immediately after release.

I forgot about that Fist nerf (purple was reduced from 9 tiles to 7, IIRC). Amazing that, despite being nerfed immediately, he's still the consensus best 3*.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Like the other 6 or 7 people have already said, 1* Storm was the ORIGINAL Winfinite. Even the top 3* characters ( top characters in the game, back then ) were getting interested. People complained incessantly about her. lol

2* Storm WAS ALSO part of several strong mini Winfinites, but her main claim to fame was the fact that she literally owned SHIELD Sim. She was so meta defining that after enough complaining, the devs had to give in and nerf her!!!!! lol
  • Vhailorx
    edited July 2016
    jobob wrote:

I forgot about that Fist nerf (purple was reduced from 9 tiles to 7, IIRC). Amazing that, despite being nerfed immediately, he's still the consensus best 3*.

What's amazing is that they went live with a character that had a 5ap power that coverted 9 tiles OR did ~4k damage at a time when 10k was as tough as one could reasonably get (other than 4* thor, but only whales had her). He also had a funky healing/resurrection timer. All in all, it seems like he was planned as a 4* and then swapped to a 3* late in development. . .
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    What's amazing is that they went live with a character that had a 5ap power that coverted 9 tiles OR did ~4k damage at a time when 10k was as tough as one could reasonably get (other than 4* thor, but only whales had her). He also had a funky healing/resurrection timer. All in all, it seems like he was planned as a 4* and then swapped to a 3* late development. . .
    Oh, Christ, can you imagine Iron Fist as a 4* with the extra health and damage? Yikes.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    What's amazing is that they went live with a character that had a 5ap power that coverted 9 tiles OR did ~4k damage at a time when 10k was as tough as one could reasonably get (other than 4* thor, but only whales had her). He also had a funky healing/resurrection timer. All in all, it seems like he was planned as a 4* and then swapped to a 3* late development. . .
    Oh, Christ, can you imagine Iron Fist as a 4* with the extra health and damage? Yikes.
    extra damage, health, and adding 9 black to the board for oml (or for some, gg)? who needs anything else at that point.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    jobob wrote:

What's amazing is that they went live with a character that had a 5ap power that coverted 9 tiles OR did ~4k damage at a time when 10k was as tough as one could reasonably get (other than 4* thor, but only whales had her). He also had a funky healing/resurrection timer. All in all, it seems like he was planned as a 4* and then swapped to a 3* late in development. . .
    Oh come on.
    It took a single Stark to max 4or, pretty much every high end PVP player had her maxed right after release.
    By today's standard, 100 bucks for THE top tier character is a joke.
  • Vhailorx
    edited July 2016
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    jobob wrote:

Oh come on.
    It took a single Stark to max 4or, pretty much every high end PVP player had her maxed right after release.
    By today's standard, 100 bucks for THE top tier character is a joke.

My point was just that 4*thor was still relatively new (3ish months old) and no other top tier character had,more than 10,5k health. Iron fists's nuke was superpowerful at release. That it was also the best black battery in the game was crazy.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Something to go back and note, for environmental tiles you got to pick which environment you played in based on the node (though not all environments were available each pvp).
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    MarvelMan wrote:
    Something to go back and note, for environmental tiles you got to pick which environment you played in based on the node (though not all environments were available each pvp).

IIRC(and i usually do) Jungle was the most OP environment, get 50 enviro AP(wasn't hard since every match gave you at least 9) and then do 100 damage to your team but get 5 AP of EVERY color in return, 200 enviro ap was also insane cause forest fire turned every enviro tile and every....i wanna say black tile red. Desert was Storms domain, 5 red gave you enough enviro ap to generate green, which gave you enough to do her green, which gave you enough red to get her green....ad nauseum(add in OBW and 3* cap for extra loopage). And then there was the dud of the environments....plant....which for 50 ap healed your team for....10...yeah....
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Demolira wrote:
    Also, back in the dawn of time, 2 star Wolverine and Thor had to be nerfed: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=13&t=2636

Not only had I forgotten about the power of those two before changes, I also had forgotten how once upon a time we used to get long, detailed rationales for each little change and addition to the game. How did they become worse at it? (besides the obvious abswer of IceIX's departure.)